Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2004, 22:00   #1
Always EVIL within us

Unhappy Computer doctor

Can anyone recommend a decent pc shop in Accy that knows what they are doing? I have 150 gig memory, 1.5 gig ram.........but my pc slows dramatically when left on too long to the point where it freezes!
I have up to date anti-virus, spyware is totally eliminated, I need to find out what is going wrong but do not want "cowboys" to mess my machine up!
I appropached pc world, but as soon as they found that my on/off switch was hanging out the side of the cabinet, they declined the chance to look at it! (there is no current going to the switch) HELP!!!!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2004, 23:39   #2
I am Banned

Re: Computer doctor

Try Soft Price 209-215 Padiham Rd, Burnley.
Tel. 01282 431113.
If they can't help no one can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
Can anyone recommend a decent pc shop in Accy that knows what they are doing? I have 150 gig memory, 1.5 gig ram.........but my pc slows dramatically when left on too long to the point where it freezes!
I have up to date anti-virus, spyware is totally eliminated, I need to find out what is going wrong but do not want "cowboys" to mess my machine up!
I appropached pc world, but as soon as they found that my on/off switch was hanging out the side of the cabinet, they declined the chance to look at it! (there is no current going to the switch) HELP!!!!
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 00:16   #3
Len
God Member

I will suggest use-it at Rishton.

I don’t think it’s a software problem sounds like you have a problem with the hard ware i.e. power supply or some internal device that controls it.
When it gets hot it breaks down.
Because your on/off switch is hanging just check it hasn’t pulled a connection joint apart and you have ended up with a dry joint.
Quote:
(there is no current going to the switch)
I think you mean there is no voltage at the on/off switch, Current flows.
I hope this helps; I’ve had a beer.

Donate to Accyweb here:
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 07:22   #4
God Member

You can do a lot of investigation yourself. Personally I disagree with Len. If the computer is running fine when you first start up then it sounds more like a memory leak in an application that over time eats all the available physical RAM forcing teh PC to page.

First some questions.
What is the full spec of the machine(CPU/RAM/HD/Gfx card/Soundcard/Internet connection)
What version of Windows? XP? Home or Pro?
What applications are running in your system tray?
If using XP in task manager/processes, what programs are using the most memory when it slows down? (Click the heading to sort by amount of memory)
How long does it take to slow down? ( days/weeks/months/years?)
Is it a general all round slowness or something specific like internet access/network /graphics etc?

You could try running Sisoft Sandra to benchmark the PC to make sure it is performing to spec.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 22:08   #5
Always EVIL within us

Thanks both Len and Entwisi, Here are more details of pc.
Processor: AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz
Ram: 1.5GB,
Graphics NVIDEA Ge Force 2 mx 100/200
sound card unknown
XP Pro
Task manager with pc just opened: 36 apps running, highest being sychost.exe @ 18,820K Explorer.exe @ 15,220K and Mpf Tray @ 12,604K
Total physical mem1572336k, mem available 1252444k
Task manager with AOL open, mem available 123,0000
Task manager with AOL and Win mx 122,0600
Only two items in system tray at start up, "McAfee" and "safely remove hardware"

It is not playing up at the moment but in a day or two, it probably would. When this happens, video's would freeze (along with everything else,) and any attempt to put CD into the Rom cannot be read, and would become stuck as the drawer will not open to retrieve disc. I was quick to blame the CD Rom at first, but then the same thing happened with my DVD Writer! Also, when this happens, the pc will not recognise that the drive even exists!! (Start, My computer.)
I know the processor is a little slow by todays standards but must surely be able to cope with the programs I have? When it plays up, it can't even find items in the bin!

On a high note, when it struggles, if I put on a video, win mx d/loads go into orbit! I would normally d/load at between 1k - 50k per sec but have recorded d/loads of 700+ per sec!! Wacky or what.
Old 25-09-2004, 00:48   #6
Senior Member+

Sounds like a virus or worm did you think of re formatting your hard drive?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2004, 18:36   #7
Always EVIL within us

No disc for formatting....and too much music etc
Old 26-09-2004, 16:25   #8
God Member

youve got a virus

See http://securityresponse.symantec.com...lw.leox.b.html

If you are lucky you will be able to remove it using the instructions. If not then a reformat is in order. If you do end up doing this I would recommend having the disk as two partitions, one for windows and programs, the other for data/music etc. That way you can trash the windows partition without risk to all those MP3s

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 22:33   #9
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
youve got a virus
I hope you haven't passed it on to me!!!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 13:46   #10
Junior Member+

does anyone no why i cant load sims 2 on my pc,
jstoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 13:53   #11
Senior Member+

Have you bought it yet???????????
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 13:55   #12
Junior Member+

i borrowed of my nephew andit wouldnt load, kept saying something about direx 9 which i have on
jstoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 16:08   #13
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoiles
i borrowed of my nephew andit wouldnt load, kept saying something about direx 9 which i have on
What spec is your PC?

And to the original topic poster, what temperature is your CPU?
mib666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 16:35   #14
Resting in Peace

I think you mean DIRECT X 9
this has to do with the graphics and can be updated from microsoft's website
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 16:46   #15
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I think you mean DIRECT X 9
this has to do with the graphics and can be updated from microsoft's website
He may not have a DX9 capable GFX card, pure speculation but worth asking
mib666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..