Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2007, 18:56   #1

Question computer problem

i switched off my computer as normal last night,put it on today gets as far as the desktop coming on for a couple seconds than goes to a blue screen for a few seconds than goes back to the start from when i switched it on, i,ve no idea what to do next, anybody ideas please.marg.
marg. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2007, 19:26   #2
God Member

Re: computer problem

as its starting up keep pressing F8. when prompted choose 'Safe Mode'

let me know if that gets you in

(It will be a crappy looking display as it defaults to teh most basic setup that all PCs can handle)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 19:46   #3

got as far as the screen with the safe mode on but it said to move the up and keys to go on to the safe mode option but the keys arn,nt doing anything and the the seconds go down to open windows as normal then it goes off and does what i previously said in the first post.marg.
Old 27-02-2007, 20:27   #4
I am Banned

my guess would be the memory , i once had the same problem after putting in a faulty stick of memory

if your not technicaly minded i recomend park computers in blackburn on darwen street , give them a ring and ask how much to test your pc , it wont be much

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT take it to any pc world so called service center you will just get ripped off/over charged to hell

if your pc is under warrenty then take it back to where you bought it
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 20:50   #5
God Member

have you access to another keyboard to test? We need to rule outa short or something in your keyboard

Old 28-02-2007, 09:52   #6

hi,changed keyboard,the one i use is wireless, changed to usb one.pressed f8 this came on screen, please select boot deviceptions are maxtor6k040L0, OR ARTECWRR-52Z-1,OR DVSKOREADVS-ROM OR DSR1600H , OR 1ST FLOPPY DISC, OR NETWORK CARD. THOSE WERE THE OPTIONS, .did,nt choose any because i had no idea what they meant.marg.
Old 28-02-2007, 10:00   #7
God Member

Press F5 instead of F8 to get safe mode
Old 28-02-2007, 10:07   #8
God Member

you got there a little early. Your motherboard appears to have a boot menu on the same key. Wait the BIOS screen with writing on has 'just' disappeared before pressing it.

Dave, you sure f5 will work? I must admit I've nevere heard of that one (although as you know I do spend as little time as posssible in Windows)

Old 28-02-2007, 10:11   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
you got there a little early. Your motherboard appears to have a boot menu on the same key. Wait the BIOS screen with writing on has 'just' disappeared before pressing it.

Dave, you sure f5 will work? I must admit I've nevere heard of that one (although as you know I do spend as little time as posssible in Windows)

Not sure what dictates it but F5/F8 seem to be different on various machines. Mine is F5 for startup options and F8 for boot options.
Old 28-02-2007, 10:25   #10

tried pressing f5 usb keyboard ,screen came up with 1 option to press enter was my os windows xp home edition,but nothing happening when pressing enter.swapped key board to wireless but that screen did,nt come up when pressing f5.
Old 28-02-2007, 10:34   #11
God Member

If you don't press any keys while the machine is booting up with the USB keyboard in do you still have a problem ?
Old 28-02-2007, 10:43   #12
God Member

Dave, I think you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to achieve, F8 is Windows hotkey to offer the choice of start Windows Normally or use a variety of safe boot modes (including command line). I'm not interested in BIOS levela t this point.

Your looking at a 'boot menu' used when you have multiple OS's installed.

Marg, please retry using F8 just after the first screen has gone. You neeed to try teh 'Safe mode' option when prompted

Old 28-02-2007, 10:47   #13

still have problem when i don,t press any keys on usb keyboard, when the boot menu comes up with different options then the up and down keys work, but i dont, want to press any of the options in case i,m pressing the wrong one.
Old 28-02-2007, 10:57   #14

wil try with what you just said,entwisi.
Old 28-02-2007, 11:20   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Dave, I think you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to achieve, F8 is Windows hotkey to offer the choice of start Windows Normally or use a variety of safe boot modes (including command line). I'm not interested in BIOS levela t this point.

Your looking at a 'boot menu' used when you have multiple OS's installed.

Marg, please retry using F8 just after the first screen has gone. You neeed to try teh 'Safe mode' option when prompted
You had me doubting my sanity for a moment but if you click on the link you will see it's not all black and white

http://forums.techguy.org/t403486.html

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..