Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2004, 19:10   #1
God Member

connecting machines.

I have two computers, one is a desktop PC running win98, the other is a laptop running XP.
How do I connect them so that I can transfer files between the two. Currently, I have to write everything to floppy disks and transfer things that way.
Old 17-11-2004, 19:20   #2

Re: connecting machines.

not fully sure if its online but in a recent computer active which i think i still have at work there was a guide for setting up routers to connect two pc s otherwise you could ask in the computer active forums they ve helped me a few times
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 20:34   #3

Talking Re: connecting machines.

okay there are more than 1 ways to do this.

you can do it as you are doing now, this is the cheapest but not so good option most floppy disks dont even work these days.

you can use whats known as a direct serial connection which is not reccomended but basically comprises of a cable from one computer to the other attached to the serial port of both computers.

more reccomended are the below options

please note that all prices ive stated are off the top of my head and wont be accurate but should give you enough of a guide for your choice.

two network cards one installed in each pc with a special crossover cable is one easy route and a good one. It depends how far away these computers are from each other as a cable will have to join them. A network card can cost as little as about £7 and you could get somone to make you a crossover cable or buy one for about the same.

two network cards and a network switch. Same as before one network card in each pc, but instead of using 1 cat5 crossover cable to connect the two you use one standard cat5 cable from each pc to the switch. This has many advantages such as being able to connect other pc's to the switch at a later date. the network card price is as above and a switch can be as little as £20 for an 8port switch (up to 8 computers). again you can get somone to make you some cables to the length you require or if the distance isnt so great you could buy them.

the most expensive but most handy variation would be to have a similar configuration as above but to use wireless devises

two wireless network cards approx £30 each and wireless switch about £50
it works as the above wired connection but of course doesnt require the cat 5 cabling . it also means if you wish to network other devises such as laptop etc its fairly easy to do. There are downfalls with this . Its slightly slower than the cabled version (however still faster than a floppy dislk) and is more expensive. also wireless technology is restricted by geological factors. Ie walls. 3-4 walls maximum and if they are thick walls then you can reduce that. If the computers are close togther or in adjacnt rooms this wont be a problem. Wireless is also slightly more complicated to configure as it has encryption options to reduce the chance of somone sitting outside your house with a wireless laptop and gaining access to your data.

For prices you could try the following

www.dabs.com
www.scan.co.uk
www.cclcomputers.co.uk

personally i run both wireless and wired at home. I have a wireless adsl router so not only does it control the pc network but it also controls my broadband it also has a built in 4 port wired switch. So i can connect both wired and wireless computers to the same device. My laptop is wireless so are a couple of the pc's but my servers are wired directly to the device for speed.

Just to note :

wired connections are 10 or 100mbit/sec (100 is more common nowdays)
wireless is 11 or 54mbps the second being more expensive im afraid (there are other speeds available but you will find they are 22 or 108 and are actually just "special" marketing versions of the 11 and 54mb types)

any queries just shout.
Old 17-11-2004, 20:42   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I have to write everything to floppy disks and transfer things that way.
if you dont want to go to the trouble or expence of networking the 2 pc's you have a better option than the floppy's, you have a digital camera, do you have a card reader? you can put files to your camera card and do it that way, its a lot faster than floppy disks and it will hold a lot more, i do this often with a 2gb microdrive, saves messing with cd's or dvd's. Might be worth looking at but if you transfer a lot on a regular basis you will be better off networking them

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 21:26   #5
God Member

With Wireless cards you do not need a switch( or accesspoint). You can just set them up in Ad-Hoc mode. I do this regularly at work to share an internet connection.

Also, I would b epretty sure the laptop would have a network connection as most laptops from the last 3 years have them as standard. I have some spare PCI cards which OP can have one of for free. So £2-3 for a X-over cable is all that is required.

Using a Digi camera is Ok as an occasional method but not for regular use.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 07:31   #6
Resident Waffler

OK here's where I show my ignorance. How do you get the files onto the digicam?

The PC I'm currently using doesn't have a floppy drive which is a bit of a pain.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 08:02   #7
Caz
God Member

A USB key is a good investment. Then you can transfer files to any computer anywhere. The one I have holds 32 meg, so it's more than adequate for most people.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 09:43   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
OK here's where I show my ignorance. How do you get the files onto the digicam?

The PC I'm currently using doesn't have a floppy drive which is a bit of a pain.
you are not using the camera itself just the memory card, you then use a card reader for the transfer, you just use it like a floppy or cd

www.ubuntu.com

Old 18-11-2004, 13:15   #9
Resident Waffler

Yes but how do you get it on the card?

Old 18-11-2004, 13:23   #10
God Member

Thanks for the advice chaps. My system/s report the following as being present:

Laptop: Network Adaptors, 1394 Netadaptor #2 and Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connections.

Desktop PC: Dial-up adaptor and Microsoft Virtual Private Networking adaptor

Does this help?????
Old 18-11-2004, 13:34   #11

the 1394 is the firewire port (used for things like digital cameras a bit like USB)

the other is a proper network card, if you have the same in the other pc you are away.
Old 18-11-2004, 16:11   #12

I would agree with previous posts, if you just want to transfer a few files now and again, a USB pen is a simple, low tech and cheap option. Dead easy.
Check out the prices here :-
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...le_Drives.html

If you want to network PC's and haven't done it before, get a technical angel who knows what they are doing !! and has done it before !! to help.
Networking a win98 computer can introduce security issues if the network connects to the internet.

I personally love the wireless option to bits.
No nasty wires to deal with, and I can work on my laptop anywhere in the house away from the wife and kids <grin>

It means I don't have to worry about synchronising files between various machines. I can share a broadband connection between the PC's. I can stream MP3 files to the stereo system. I can share printers.

But forget all that the single most important reason for getting a wireless system is that it provides a NAT (Network Address Translation) firewall. It hides the address of each individual computer on the network from potential intruder and hacker software.
useful for broadband and modem users.

OK so see how vunerable your PC is on the internet, run the test called Shields-Up (scroll half way down the page) You will get a good idea even though some of the information will be tech heavy.
http://www.grc.com/

For networking get a Technical Angel, to help you configure, troubleshoot and secure it properly.
Old 18-11-2004, 17:03   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

If any of you are interested in the in & outs of comms this site, http://www.howstuffworks.com/index.htm

gives allsorts of advice in nice simple terms look under their Computer section.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 18:32   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Yes but how do you get it on the card?
put the card in the card reader and then put the file onto the card just as you would with a floppy, ie drag n drop or copy paste etc

www.ubuntu.com

Old 18-11-2004, 21:27   #15
Resident Waffler

I'm just being my usual awkward self here because I've got one PC with card reader(s) and no floppy drive and one with floppy drive and no card reader. Both have CD writer/readers but I hate wasting CDs so I think I'm going to have to get a USB thingy. It seems like that would be more use than getting a card reader for the other PC. I download direct from camera to that PC.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 19-11-2004 at 10:39. Reason: USN? typo!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..