Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2007, 10:23   #1

Dual booting

Help please
can anyone tell me how to partition my hard drive to install linux my os now is xp please make any solution easy
thanks
tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2007, 10:54   #2
God Member

Re: Dual booting

You haven't mentioned what Linux distro you want to use, most will do it automagically.

How experienced are you with Linux?

Is your XP on NTFS or FAT filesystems?

The easiest way is shove an Ubuntu disc in, boot from it and follow the instructions. I've never heard of anyone whose Ubuntu or Mandriva install has borked their Windows install. If you want to talk it through in detail feel free to pm me or ask over MSN etc.

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 12:18   #3

Thanks for your reply
I do not know what file systems xp uses and apart from having bought the linux mag that came with 3 discs in 2006 I know nothing about linux or too much about pc's perhaps I should not be even thinking about doing anything until I know more about it, It had looked a brilliant alternative though
thanks
tony
Old 25-09-2007, 14:00   #4
God Member

It is and not difficult to install or use. I ask questions on two levels, to initially gauge your IT skills/knowledge and to get a bit of an understanding of what your environment is. This will help me in providing a suitable level of info.

Don't bother with those discs, download the latest Ubuntu disc from Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

Burn the disc ISO to CD( that is not burn teh single file, use Nero or whatever to burn a disc image which is what the ISO file is (think a sort of zip file of a complete CD, Nero will 'unpack it' onto the disc)

Boot from this disc (set your bios to boot from CD before HD if its not already )
This will start a ubuntu environment running from CD. (it will be slow due to CD being a lot slower than HD). there is an install icon on teh desktop, run that and follow teh instructions. Its sensible to do a full defrag in Windows before starting to ensure the data is optimised on your HD.

If you have access to another 'net' PC I'm happy to walk you through it over instant messaging.

Its teh future, join us now!

Old 25-09-2007, 14:35   #5
Senior Member+

Still want to do this myself.

Can you have tripple Boot?

Xp, Vista & Linux?
Old 25-09-2007, 14:38   #6

Is this a foreign language?
Kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 15:06   #7
God Member

Triple boot yes, probably easiest to dual boot Linux/windows then a seperate WinXP/Vista choice

nope its english geek speak.

Old 25-09-2007, 15:49   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Triple boot yes, probably easiest to dual boot Linux/windows then a seperate WinXP/Vista choice

nope its english geek speak.
Sounds Like Fun, Just got to find a cheap version of Vista Now.
Old 25-09-2007, 15:58   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
Is this a foreign language?
Sounds like it to me!!!
Old 27-09-2007, 11:42   #10
Resting in Peace

If you want a copy of "ubuntu"latest copy 7.04 go to "W H Smiths" and get a copy of computer active Getting started with Linux the mag is £5:99 and you get a full copy and a full guide to linux
i got mine today
it tells you how to set it up as a duel boot ect and there is a load of extras on the cd too

Last edited by Mick; 27-09-2007 at 11:45.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 13:52   #11
God Member

Actually 7.10 is the latest

£5.99!!!!! Geesh, theres 3 pints or 8 cans of Stella in that! You can download it for free and there is very good docs on the website. Plus with friendly locals on Accyweb your good to go!

Old 27-09-2007, 13:56   #12
God Member

Got a couple of CD's here with it on, save yourself a fiver - FREE if you want one

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 14:07   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Actually 7.10 is the latest

£5.99!!!!! Geesh, theres 3 pints or 8 cans of Stella in that! You can download it for free and there is very good docs on the website. Plus with friendly locals on Accyweb your good to go!
7.10 is only a beta version not a stable one like 7.04
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 19:36   #14
God Member

stable table pah,

Lifes meant to be for living, live dangerously, install Beta software ( Oh no, hang on thats Vista isn't it )

Old 29-09-2007, 06:36   #15

Thanks for your advice
I have now installed ubuntu fiesty fawn (well I didn't the disc did it it self) only one mistake the keyboard would not respond it had to be enabled in bios I didn't know that so I could not select anything but that is sorted now, next task is to connect to the internet but it is not having anything at the moment
thanks very much for your help
tony

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..