Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-11-2005, 20:29   #1
Beacon of light

File extensions.

Please can someone give me simple instructions on how to change file extensions.
I want to change Cd audio into wma. files. I bought an MP3 player and I want to put some CD tracks onto it. I DID actually change the file extensions of some of my Cd music when I first got the MP3 player.....but I am damned if I can remember how I did it.... the only thing I can remember was it seemed pretty painless at the time.

If I have posted this question in the wrong forum I trust Mick or Len to move it to somewhere more homely.

Thanx in advance for your attention.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-11-2005, 08:28   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: File extensions.

Get a program called ALTO MP3 maker its easy to use and will change any music file you want its the 1 i use all the time.
http://www.shareit.com
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2005, 18:45   #3
Beacon of light

Thanks Mick You are a star!
Old 17-11-2005, 19:18   #4
God Member

Just make sure your mp3 player supports wma, not all do. MP3 is itself a format so be careful about what format you choose to convert your CDs to
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2005, 19:29   #5
Beacon of light

Thanks for the advice Entwisi......I have checked my Mp3 player and it supports all the usual files....MP3, wav,wma.......and I have worked out how I managed to convert .cda files to .wma.....it is very simple and it is done in the Windows Media Player.....there is a copy facility which copies CD's and changes their file format to .wma. I had done a batch of Cd's a few weeks ago when I first got the MP3 player......but I wanted to add some new tracks and I couldn't for the life of me remember how I did it.
I have been wrestling with the problem for at least a week......it was doing my head in. I HATE to ask for help, but felt it was the only way to save my sanity.....then when I had asked, and Mick had given his advice...well, it all came flooding back.
Old 18-11-2005, 22:15   #6
God Member

Just out of interest, it didn't just 'change teh file extention' it had to do quite a complicated conversion. It is only the magic of modern PCs that hides all this complexity from you.

Ian
Old 19-11-2005, 14:10   #7
Beacon of light

Yes Entwisi....and I can't tell you how grateful I am that it can do this complicated conversion.....I really wish I understood more about HOW my computer does these things.....maybe then when they go wrong(or perhaps, when they are not quite right) I would be able to put them right.....but being one of the 'oldies' must go against me a bit.
Old 19-11-2005, 17:47   #8
God Member

Why should age be a barrier to knowing about computers? I know quite a few guys in their 60's who know quite a bit.

If anyone does want to understand something a bit 'more' then I'm happy to talk it through in PM.

Ian
Old 19-11-2005, 18:29   #9
Beacon of light

Entwisi - believe me age is a bit of a barrier plus I think men are better at computers than women.....sexist.....I know, but I think it is true.
Your memory is nowhere near as good when you get into your fifties.....and sometimes understanding technical stuff frightens us 'oldies'. It seems to me that youngsters are a whizz on computers, while (although, I don't think I am too bad) I just pootle along. I will bear in mind your very kind offer of 'the bit more' when I get into trouble.(touching wood)
Old 20-11-2005, 11:08   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Your memory is nowhere near as good when you get into your fifties.....and sometimes understanding technical stuff frightens us 'oldies'.
THANKYOU Margaret i am 51
shall i go to the scrap heap now?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2005, 11:51   #11
God Member

[quote=Margaret Pilkington] Your memory is nowhere near as good when you get into your fifties.....and sometimes understanding technical stuff frightens us 'oldies'

Hell I have a memory like a sieve so there is not uch hope for me in the future.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2005, 14:22   #12
Beacon of light

No Mick.....your talents are much needed here! I stand by what I said though.....memory doesn't get better.....and I exercise mine quite a bit.....word puzzles, sudoku(which I never get right) and countdown in the afternoon. I will frequently find myself at the top of the stairs having forgotten what I had gone up there for.....and it isn't hubby as he is invariably making a dent in the sofa!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..