Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2004, 23:25   #1
Len
God Member

I think I may have a virus?

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Norton Antivirus2002. Also with my Norton firewall.
I've tried reinstalling it but still no joy I get a run time error
Program c:\program files\Symantec\live update\sndmon.exe.
It all started when I opened an email I received through yahoo (I think) the title was "NET" yahoo scanned it and found no infection so when I opened the attachment it said could not find file to open it. So I deleted it, now I am having problems.
I have to uninstall the Norton antivirus software so I can access the web.
How do you get rid of viruses if it wont allow the antivirus programs to run?
Anyone able to help?
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2004, 07:39   #2
mez
God Member

Re: I think I may have a virus?

len have you tried winpatrol.com i believe its very good// good luck//
Old 27-05-2004, 17:30   #3

I never open emails unless i know who there from..
i realise that doesn't help you len but i thought i would just point that out:-)

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 17:42   #4
Len
God Member

Hi wingy.

It may not even be a virus.It could be a problem with my Norton antivirus disc when I try to reinstall.
See attachment It tells me this but it means nothing to me. lol
Attached Images
File Type: gif Clipboard2.gif (35.9 KB, 108 views)
Old 27-05-2004, 18:50   #5
Senior Member+

Len, when you get on the web try this part of symantec its got updates and if you are using an older version of norton you may find outyou need to update to stop a run error. http://www.symantec.com/downloads/

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 20:07   #6
Resting in Peace

Len when you take norton off using the delete file also do a search for anything to do with norton or samantic you have to delete everything before re-installing it
other wise it picks up the old files if there is a problem then it will happen over again
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 20:09   #7
Resting in Peace

i will bring you a copy of norton works on sunday its 2003 but you can get upgreads for 2005
Old 27-05-2004, 20:13   #8
Senior Member+

make sure u download the liveupdates when asked, they get new viruses.

found out that the hard way
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 20:21   #9
Resting in Peace

if you already have a virus then this wont work
make sure the system is clean first
although the disc i will bring will work from cd so it can check the system before you install it
and clear any virus then once installed you will get automatic updates
Old 28-05-2004, 15:01   #10
g78

Usually it is a worm virus that comes in through emails....... I got one last year and I kept getting loads of 'return' emails from people I had supposedly sent out to, even though I hadn't. In fact only the other day I got a message from HP telling me that a worm virus was doing the rounds and to make sure I had all security set up.
Old 29-05-2004, 14:37   #11
Len
God Member

Thanks every one. Sorted.

A worm had infected me, apparently
It had corrupted a file"S32luhl.dll"in the live update for Norton antivirus; it also took out my firewall. I couldn't even get Norton antivirus to open. When the software was installed I couldn't connect to the Internet I had to uninstall the software first to do that. I managed to download a free trial of the Norton antivirus 2004. At that point I was able to run a scan and remove the infections. I am sure that there are easier ways but when you don't know, you don't know.
I used the Symantec online step-by-step help to fix the corruptions, Suggested by Bazf. Took absolutely ages.
I also had to do what you suggested mick. I had to manually delete the files left behind by the uninstaller. What a pain that was! A lot of trial and error went on there. Lol
Thanks Mez. I also tried the software you suggested at the beginning but I didn't know what was what when I viewed it. I shall have a play with it now and see what its uses are.
Having managed to sort it all I've now gone and upgraded my Norton antivirus software to 2004. It was 2002.
Old 29-05-2004, 16:21   #12
mez
God Member

good glad youve got it sorted i dont know bout that one i told you bout cos im with norton too 7ive just done a virus check to--day touch wood im ok , but my norton was checked out & sorted lst week by a friend i do try to do a clean sweep at least once a week, it may not be nessasarybut i do it anyway.
Old 29-05-2004, 18:29   #13
Accrington Web Mascot

I know the feeling Len - got a couple of files corrupted by a trojan virus. Tried everything Norton Antivirus suggested but I still can't delete the files.
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..