Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2005, 10:39   #1
Senior Member+

Laptop security

Is it worth password protecting my laptop when it is turned on or comes out of hibernation?

Protecting my laptop has to be a good thing as it holds details of login ids for various financial adviser websites, but is a password likely to stop anyone who decides that they would quite like to get their hands on it?

It is a Windows XP (Home) laptop, and no, entwisi, I can't change that!!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-05-2005, 11:37   #2

Re: Laptop security

u could put a password on if you wanted, best way to protect it is to handcuff it to your wrist. if someone were to steal the laptop for example they probably wont care what the data is on there they will just format the computer and reinstall it in an attempt to wipe any link back to its owner. if u leave it lying around on your desk at work all the time where prying eyes might get at your data then sure password on it it may deter somone at least.
Old 31-05-2005, 12:19   #3
Senior Member+

I work from home, so prying eyes are not really a problem.

Unless you count a 7 year old and 2 year old as security threats!!!

Old 31-05-2005, 14:09   #4
God Member

What about the window cleaner? He could look in whilst your back is turned!

Seriously, I would be very wary about what financial data is stored on a laptop. Your company should have some form of disk encryption software that would render the data unreadable. At work my laptop runs a system called Safeboot.

Windows home edition is better than the old 9x versions but IIRC it is still not very good from a data access POV. There are easily found password crackers that will get someone in. or at worst I could just boot a Linux Live CD and read any data you have on there.

As with all PC security. The length you should go to is dictated by the data you are protecting. My IFA came to me to ask for advice about his computer security because he knew just how sensitive a lot of the data he holds is and that if I was happy about the level my details were protected then he would be covered for his other clients as well.

It all comes down to cost I'm afraid. How much are you willing to pay and how much 'inconvienence' are you prepared to put up with.

Password protect all documents encrypt them if possible, Never store a username/password pair together. Keep regular backups and TEST THEY WORK! i.e. do you get back what you expect.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 14:44   #5
Senior Member+

I have encrypted all of my passwords (well, ok, I replaced characters in my passwords for ****, but that's only because I tend to use the same password, or variations thereof (they all follow a similar theme), as I don't really see the point of having 68 different passwords.

The ones that don't follow a theme are on there in full, but tbh, if they accessed a website and got in using my details, there is no damage that can be done, and they probably wouldn't know what to do with the site if they did gain access, and if they did, it wouldn't do them any good!

I am more concerned about the contact details in Outlook, and the several hundred word documents that I really don't have time to go through individually and password protect!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..