Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2007, 21:33   #1
God Member

New Ubuntu Release!

Theres a new version of Ubuntu Linux released today, you can get it from http://ubuntu.com

Codenamed "Feisty Fawn" it is the easiest Ubuntu yet for new users.

Codecs and other 'non-free' drivers such as graphics used to be a chore to install (in that you had to go to ubuntuforums.org and research how to do it) but now it's all done automatic.

I really couldn't be more happy! Everything seems to work well and there has been a huge improvement in wireless connection (well It was great already but some people had reported problems)

Go take a look
Old 19-04-2007, 21:45   #2

Re: New Ubuntu Release!

Being a complete newb to it, but wanting to try Linux, is there a away of setting up my computer so I could revert back to windows if it all goes pear shaped ? Preferably without having to use the disc (it's a bit urm... lost) Or a way of having both OS's isntalled at the same time.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 06:42   #3
God Member

Linux is unlike Microsoft, it allows you to have both OS's installed. In fact, by default they will automatically set up a boot menu with both OS's on.

Microsoft on the other hand take a PC with a perfectly good boot loader and overwrite it so that you can only see 'their' OS, even if this is just an upgrade in an already defined partition.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 18:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Linux is unlike Microsoft, it allows you to have both OS's installed. In fact, by default they will automatically set up a boot menu with both OS's on.

Microsoft on the other hand take a PC with a perfectly good boot loader and overwrite it so that you can only see 'their' OS, even if this is just an upgrade in an already defined partition.
How easy would it using 2 different hardrives ? XP on one and Linux on the other ? How would I go about installing Linux on the second drive ?
Old 20-04-2007, 21:21   #5
Senior Member+

Darn, borrowed Julies laptop but its Entwisi

its easy as long as you have a basic understanding of disks and partitions.

it does depend on what sort of interface you have (IDE or SATA) as well,

when the linux install disk boots it will scan the installd HDs, I will take the example of IDE to explain the process, SATA just have a different name

when it gets to partitioning the disks you will need to choose 'custom', then you will be presented with a logical view of your drives, the master on ide0 will be known as hda, the slave as hdb, the master on ide1 as hdc and slave as hdd, if you have one of these 'missing' then they all step down one.

Within each drive it will name each partition so you end up with hda1, hda2, hdb1 etc

normally most people will only have one drive so you only have to deal with hda(1,2,3,4, etc). In your case you would need to make sure that you work only with hdb and create the partitions on it. IF YOU GET IT WRONG AND USE HDA YOU WILL OVERWRITE YOUR WINDOWS INSTALL so be sure!!!

From there on in its just a normal linux install.

Now for a techie bit
I would say that those in the know don't create a single partition for Linux. you store all your docs, etc in /home so you would have a single partition for that, then the actual install would go across a couple of others, its sensible to put /boot on one, / on another and then optionally /var and /usr on their own, the last two can share or even be on / (Don't worry if this last bit didn't make sense its all about how linux does filesystems which is different from windows but when you get used to it makes far more sense)

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 05:46   #6
Resting in Peace

Why is this on here when we have a dedicated Linux site ?
http://p4.forumforfree.com/accylinuxuser.html
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 07:55   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Because if it is here more than 5 people might read it

Ok, ok I know, I am on my way byeee
Old 21-04-2007, 10:09   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
because im informing people who don't already use linux...

and because that site is no longer owned by roy and is full of thousands of spam posts
Old 21-04-2007, 21:19   #9
God Member

I started that site when Roy owned it, he's sold it and I can't get on to moderate it. 10 emails later I gave u on it.

Old 21-04-2007, 23:21   #10

Probably going to have a go at it tommorow, whats Gnome ? Heard of it in tonnes of articles but can't figure out what it is/does
Old 22-04-2007, 08:37   #11
God Member

Basicly its what they call a "desktop environment" its the whole design/layout and function of the bits you see.

Gnome is used in Ubuntu and theres a varient of Ubuntu called Kubuntu which uses KDE.
I prefer Gnome where as entwisi prefers KDE, its really just personal preference.

KDE looks a tiny bit more like windows by default but theres really nothing in it.

Certain applications are built for certain desktop environments but they all work on either one so its not important which one you use

edit: Thats kinda confusing without real examples.. it'll make more sense to you when you start using Ubuntu and learn linux a bit more

Last edited by andrewb; 22-04-2007 at 08:44.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 23:41   #12

Got it working

Almost managed to cock it up not setting the swap partition to the right partition type but luckily it pointed this out to me so it's running fine... now I need some sleep as its 0040 and I've got college tomorrow
Old 23-04-2007, 06:20   #13
God Member

Great news! If you have any trouble you can post here and im sure me, entwisi or somebody else will get back to you quickly, or theres the linux forum in my sig but thats not taken off yet.
Old 23-04-2007, 07:03   #14
God Member

Welcome to the Dark Side.

We did mention the compulsory sandals and beards didn't we

Now its time to learn, the best advice is to stop thinking " I want this program" and start thinking "I want to do X". The whole thing is that you have such a massive amount of choice vailable to you now. Try Opera, Firefox, Konqueror and Epiphany as web browsers to see which you prefer. for email Evolution is very nice but again, have a look at other available (Thunderbird, Kmail, Slypheed are some).

As Cyfr says, feel free to ask Qs either on here or via MSN, AOL or whatever IM system you prefer.

Ian

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..