Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2005, 22:04   #1
God Member

nightmare

I have suddenly started having probs with my pc. When connected to the internet every couple of minutes mcafee alert comes up saying oftjmy.exe wants access to the internet, I keep saying block access but don't know what it is or how to stop it happening. I did have a trojan but this was blocked by mcafee but don't know what to do now. This alert is starting to drive me crazy!!!!! HELP!!! It says it's path is C:\windows\oftjmy.exe

Any ideas anyone?????

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2005, 22:09   #2
Member.

Re: nightmare

Close all your open programmes and run you Anti Virus Scanning software just to ensure your systems clean then reboot. All I can offer I’m afraid…..good luck.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 22:24   #3
Resident Waffler

Have you tried to find out more about what it is?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 23:43   #4
God Member

I'm not really a techy when it comes to this, I can use a comp but not good with the ins and outs. When I go to where the file is on the computer it doesn't tell me anything

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
Old 18-07-2005, 00:20   #5
land of hope and glory

you need either,entwisi,roy,k.s.h mick,and a few others that know there way about.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 07:16   #6
Resident Waffler

Have you got adaware or any spyware zapper?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 08:10   #7
God Member

well thats it, will only be able on come on here from work for a while, computer now crashed!!! sob sob

Old 18-07-2005, 09:25   #8
God Member

Interesting, That filename doesn't show up on Google which is probably the first time ever. Are you sure you got that filename exactly right?

Now to your crashed PC. Have you any important data that needs to be recovered? What version of Windows was it? Do you have the install discs? (A lot now come with a rescue disc whilst windows is actually on a hidden part of the hard disc. and people often lose it)

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 11:26   #9
God Member

def right file name. I have put computer into safe mode and run mcafee and it has found this file and deleted it but when you switch comp on all it brings up is my documents, no desktop or toolbars at all. I have loads of disks but unsure which does what. Thankfully Mick has offered to come round and have a look at it for me. Nothing major to lose as it's only the home pc and I don't hold work on it. It is windows xp

Old 18-07-2005, 16:35   #10
God Member

When it has started press CTRL ALT DEL together and choose task manager. Select 'New Task' and type 'explorer' Press Return. If that works then it looks like teh startup has become borked and will need a windows repair to rescue it(or a re-install if you want to be drastic but sure).

If there is any data you want recovering before trashing it completely, let me know as I have ways and means
Old 18-07-2005, 22:17   #11
God Member

thanks for that entwisi but as you can see I AM BACK!!! Thanks to the wonderful Mick who has restored my computer to it's former glory.

THANK YOU MICK

Old 19-07-2005, 07:10   #12
Resting in Peace

Er Harwood Red thanks for the coffee

Last edited by Mick; 19-07-2005 at 07:11.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 12:35   #13
God Member

System Restore Mick?

Or was it something else.

Ian
Old 24-07-2005, 16:28   #14
Resting in Peace

yep easy sorted it could have been a lot worse and no virus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg why computers crash.jpg (32.2 KB, 19 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 18:37   #15
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
thanks for that entwisi but as you can see I AM BACK!!! Thanks to the wonderful Mick who has restored my computer to it's former glory.

THANK YOU MICK
did a bloody good job on your avatar as well! well done mick.......he.hee
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..