Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 10:14   #1
God Member

roving cursor

I have a Dell laptop (which I use as a backup to my newer deasktop).
It is about 6 or 7 yrs old and uses WinME. The main reason for replacing it with a desktop was a 'roving/uncontrollable cursor' problem, which occurs frequently but intermittently. I have a USB mouse installed on it because I found the touchpad mouse cumbersome -could this be causing the problem? It happens even when the USB mouse is unplugged.
I would appreciate any suggestions for a cure.

I need a 'back up' pc that will work when my desktop has problems because internet access is my 'lifeline'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2007, 11:18   #2
Senior Member+

Re: roving cursor

I dont like the touchpad either on laptops.

Always find you catch it whilst typing, can you not dissabe it and use a plug in mouse only see if it is the touchpad?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:21   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
I dont like the touchpad either on laptops.

Always find you catch it whilst typing, can you not dissabe it and use a plug in mouse only see if it is the touchpad?
I will try that later today -thanks (will need to explore how its done )

Old 12-05-2007, 11:28   #4
God Member

I dont like the touchpad on my lappy either. I got myself a dinky mouse that lights up.....at night time it looks like I'm having a party in my livingroom

Not sure what the problem could be though.....if it just happened when your mouse was plugged in I would suggest

a) clean the mouse ball or window.

b) get a new mouse..... but you say it happens when it isn't plugged in??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 16:03   #5
God Member

It may be a while before I can get back here with results - the cursor can't be put anywhere I want it to go, so cant open any windows whatsoever, in order to find out how to disable the mouse pad

Old 12-05-2007, 16:05   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It may be a while before I can get back here with results - the cursor can't be put anywhere I want it to go, so cant open any windows whatsoever, in order to find out how to disable the mouse pad
Can you not use your keyboard to open the windows you need.
Old 12-05-2007, 16:32   #7
God Member

Oh dear - stumped with this one - I know many people use keys instead of mouse for lots of things but I never learnt what was what. Those F keys have only pressed by me on the instruction of a pc doc during phone problem solving
I will wait for a time when the cursor behaves, which does happen now and again

Old 12-05-2007, 16:35   #8
Senior Member+

Use the Windows Key - Usually next to control and Alt.

And the the Arrow keys for direction.

The Tab key is also usefull.

I would suggest starting in control panel, Mouse see if it can be dissabled in there
Old 12-05-2007, 17:01   #9
God Member

When I just tried pressing the windows button whilst the cursor was zooming all over the place, 4 windows opened all at once - none of which was useful. After 3 reboots I have got a working cursor again and have got up the window for 'Add/Remove programmes'. Here I have a choice between removing my mouse or removing my touchpad.
I am reluctant to remove touchpad because the System restore function long since ceased to function, and I only have one USB port which is needed for the broadband modem (not mouse) should I ever need web connection as a result of problems with my desktop pc.
So - I will uninstall mouse and report back.

Old 12-05-2007, 17:04   #10
God Member

Yes Margaret try removing mouse first..... easier to install again if that isn't the problem.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 17:20   #11
God Member

Mouse software removed = a cursor that is behaving itself.
I have tried using that 'Windows Button' --amazed - I suppose I could learn something about pcs every day - even something that is so basic that everybody else knew that but me
Thanks folks - my laptop back up pc will now function when I need it to - feel more secure - thanks for the help.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..