Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2008, 13:36   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Save Windows XP.

I’m not a Luddite but I’m also a “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” person.

XP has served me well for a number of years and I cannot think of a single reason why I should want to upgrade to Vista or when it arrives Windows 7. Except to put more money into Microsoft’s coffers.

The majority of all the reports that I have read about Vista have not been good ones. But then that is what happened when XP came on the scene. There were so many patches for XP that I suggested that it should be re-named to Patches XP. Indeed a recent re-install of XP needed 94 security updates plus many others.

As far as I’m concerned XP is fine and stable for my needs.

I’m reasonably sure that in a year or two Vista will be great but by then Microsoft will be pushing Windows 7. And so it all starts again.

Microsoft has already stated that it will not be supporting XP any more. Worldwide protests have got us a 6 months reprieve. This petition is to try and get Microsoft to think again and support XP for years to come.

Please add your voice to 111,543 (as at 9th April 2008) at http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/archives/2008/03/save_windows_xp.html

Whilst you’re at it, please pass on the URL to all and sundry.
Old 17-04-2008, 14:17   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Save Windows XP.

There is already a thread about this
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...-xp-38371.html
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 10:24   #3
God Member

My suggestion is to get out of the Microsoft loop. A new version of ubuntu is released in 6 days time.

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

Completely free, all applications are free, faster security updates when they are needed, and more secure than Windows!

Last edited by andrewb; 18-04-2008 at 10:26.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 10:40   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
My suggestion is to get out of the Microsoft loop. A new version of ubuntu is released in 6 days time.

Completely free, all applications are free, faster security updates when they are needed, and more secure than Windows!
Can I use it to run Microsoft Visual Studio so I can still support the several applications I have written over the years?

Come to think of it can I write software for the iPhone on a linux box? It is looking like I will be heading that way soon.
Old 18-04-2008, 13:30   #5
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Save Windows XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
In that case why don’t you merge the two threads?
Old 18-04-2008, 13:56   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Save Windows XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post

Why? XP has served me well for ages.

However it is interesting to note that Linux has “faster security updates”. So in spite of claims to the contrary Linux does have security problems otherwise there would be no need for security updates.
Old 18-04-2008, 13:59   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
In that case why don’t you merge the two threads?
Or just delete it Mick
Old 18-04-2008, 17:04   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Or just delete it Mick
Thats dangerous talk Neil, Mick has all the buttons
Old 18-04-2008, 17:37   #9
Resident Waffler

I am far too cynical to believe that Microsoft would forego making oodles of money out of producing pointless new editions of Windows in response to an online petition even though I hate to see the demise of XP and so will sign it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 17:47   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Windows XP is rubbish, it is better rubbish than 98 and may or may not be better rubbish than Vista. Lets face it all versions of Windows are rubbish. How often do you have to restart your PC because something is not working correctly? The first thing we do when they are playing up is a restart. JB has moaned about his IE6 problems but still thinks XP is great.

Microsofts biggest problem is that is like to make new versions of Windows still compatible with the application written for older versions. They have always tried to do this. They need to start with a clean piece of paper and make an operating system that is secure and rock solid by design, not by keep adding bits to hold it all together like at present.

Come to think of it they tried a bit of this with Vista but now people moan that their old hardware and software is no longer compatible with Vista - why should it be you just bought something new?
Old 18-04-2008, 17:54   #11
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Come to think of it they tried a bit of this with Vista but now people moan that their old hardware and software is no longer compatible with Vista - why should it be you just bought something new?
Precisely the point. Why should we have to buy the something new? Why can't we carry on using our old familiar something which works with all our existing software? I have programs which I do not wish to have to replace just because Microsoft isn't going to support XP any more.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 18:39   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Precisely the point. Why should we have to buy the something new? Why can't we carry on using our old familiar something which works with all our existing software? I have programs which I do not wish to have to replace just because Microsoft isn't going to support XP any more.

Maybe the issue is that Microsoft need to continually "fix" all their programs to make them work that is the problem.

If you but a new car you don't expect the accessories and spare parts for the old to to be suitable with the new one

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..