Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2007, 18:39   #1

Vista Home Premium

Iv'e just upgraded from Windows Home XP to Windows Vista Home Premium.So far all seems well though I had initial problems with the computer recognising my Digital Cameras(this was fixed with visiting Fuji for updated Finepix viewer)
Has anyone else took the leap and can they pass any tips on,
Cheers.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2007, 19:41   #2
God Member

Re: Vista Home Premium

couple of things, Don't use teh EXIF editor as it can render your images unreadable

Posting the spec of your PC may help people in making a choice of how well it will run on their equipment. one thing of interest, are you running the Aero interface? what Gfx card do you have?

What AV/firewall are you running? what other software? post when you have issues with software.

I'm still waiting for the upgrade disc that came free with my new laptop. my advantage is that it will only ever be a second OS so its not important to me if it doesn't 'work'. the rest of you poor souls.........................[1]

Ian

[1] except Cyfr that I know is also on the path of true enlightenment

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 20:05   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

At least windows will install on my laptop without having to mess with it. Ok ok I know it is bog slow but it does install.

Linux needs to be more idiot proof if it is going to take on Microsoft. It is getting there I know. Do you think Linux will every dominate the PC world?
Old 13-03-2007, 20:26   #4
God Member

firstly, installing any OS should never be a end user task. there are too many options and detailed selections that should be made for an end user (particularly one who doesn't know about partitions etc to make) You have installed Windows numerous times, I bet the first time you installed windows you were nervous about it all

secondly, I have stuck Linux live CDs in I don't know how many PCs and never had an issue. You denied any technical help from me so don't go saying 'It don't work' when ther was a 'tech support desk' sat here waiting. I doubt many newbies could make informed decisions about installing windows and would more than likely shaft anything that was already there. the fact you have a weird Gfx card that has no support from its manufacturer isn't the fault of teh OS. If they hadn't made windows drivers you would have had just as much trouble

There was a nice quote I heard today that seemd quite relevant

"Unix is user friendly. Its just particular as to who its friends are"

I've said many times before and I don't want/mean to sound arrogant. PCs are technical things, Windows has tried to hide so much technical stuff we now have millions of users who want to do Online Banking etc who have zero idea about security/viruses/trojans etc and get ripped off. So whose fault is it? the Banks etc for making services available or the users with no clue who get conned/scammed into giving out their details.

Will Linux dominate all PCs, No. It doesn't aim for that. the beauty is that its so much more extenisble that you will probably have a couple of linux powered devices in your home(and I don't just mean you in particular as I know you already do) before you know it.

With the likes of Dell offering Linux installed PCs where they are up and runing just like they do with the Windows installs things will get better. Once people realise that they don't need to go spending cash everytime they want a new software package the better.

Old 13-03-2007, 21:34   #5

Apparently my computer has a windows experience base score of 1.8 whatever that may mean.
Old 14-03-2007, 07:27   #6
God Member

thats not that high. The scale goes up to 5. I don't think anyone has managed to hit 5 as yet though(Micorsoft actually make it such that 32 bit machines can actually never hit it due to teh 4 gig memory address space issues). IIRC 1 is the minimum required to run vista. I'll let you know what my laptop scores when my disc arrives.(I ran the beta version on my old lappy)

Could you post your PC spec so others can get an idea what gives what score?

CPU
Memory
GFX card(Make/RAM)

Old 14-03-2007, 09:49   #7

The Computer spec:
Intel(R) Pentium 4 CPU 1500MHZ 1.49GH
Memory(RAM) 1279 MB
System type 32 BIT
Apparently the score is derived from the lowest subscore which in this case was memory operation per second.
The reading gave 5.9 for desktop performance for Aero and 5.3 for disc data transfer rate.
Hope this is enough information!

Last edited by Lampman; 14-03-2007 at 09:54.
Old 14-03-2007, 10:00   #8
God Member

Gfx card? and amount of memory on it?

Old 14-03-2007, 10:02   #9
Senior Member+

Do you have a link where to run this test from.
Old 14-03-2007, 10:15   #10
God Member

this is a 'score' that vista itself gives,

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...enceindex.mspx

I see from this Lampman that you can't run Aero as it requires a base score of 3.0?

Old 14-03-2007, 10:25   #11
Senior Member+

So are we saying you have to Purchase & Install Vista before you can test if your PC can handle it.
Old 14-03-2007, 10:36   #12
God Member

You can try teh upgrade advisor to give you a clue but its not foolproof. i.e. one technical site ran it and it said all was well. when he upgraded there were a good few things that teh advisor said would be OK that didn't work.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

There are also some pieces of software that are not Vista compatible, iTunes being one high profile example(don't use iTunes on Vista or it WILL wipe your iPod of all songs)

Old 14-03-2007, 10:53   #13
Senior Member+

Cheer Ian, Will give that a try when I get home.

I think my PC would handle Vista with no problems, But I still dont see why I should be a Beta Tester for Microsoft and pay for the privalage.

Also I have heard a new OS will be out soon Vienna Or something like that.

Might give this Linux a Try though the more I hear about it the better it seems.
Old 14-03-2007, 11:00   #14
God Member

Vienna is the 'next release' scheduled for 2009(Although microsoft have never actually hit an expected delivery date - EVER)

There is some concern that Vista may become what Windows Me was, a stopgap OS with bits of what they really wanted to include but couldn't get built in time. Microsoft were coming under pressure that they hadn't released anything for some time so they had to get 'something' out there.

Linux is wonderful. (You didn't expect me to say owt else about it did you? ) remember its not an all or nothing choice, you can have both Windows and Linux installed and just choose which you want at startup. This is so that you can work your way into Linux overe a period of time as and when you are comfortable.

PM me or Cyfr if you want more info or add us to MSN

PS, I did some beta testing on Vista(reported ~8 or 9 bugs) and didn't get paid for it (I didn't have to pay to test it though unlike you lucky people )

Old 14-03-2007, 18:40   #15

Well,whilst having a play with the Vista,I find that my Epson Stylus photo 2100 no longer works or is recognised as being connected.
I will search the web for a driver etc., if there is one!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..