Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2008, 12:12   #1
God Member

weird intermittent faults

For the past 2 days my computer has been acting weirdly-
1. A click of the mouse opened the same window 2 or more times.
2. I heard a brief strange 'grating/pipping' noise, as -
3. The list of my contacts in Windows Live Messenger flashed on and off.
4. The cursor moved of its own accord/was uncontrollable
5. When playing solitaire of various types the game played itself.(I lost )
6. I had to use ctrl/alt/delete to close open pages because clicking the 'x' didnt work

My attempts to cure this-
Changed mouse
System restore back 3 weeks
Disc clean up and defrag
Removed Real player (because it was recently downloaded)
Removed Spybot search and destroy (replaced with Windows defender)
(I always Avg virus scan daily and I have used Spybot daily)
All programme and Windows updates installed (after system restore)

I suspect that the problem is due to overheating, since it doesn't happen until several hours of use have elapsed.

I hope that this PC is not signalling its imminent death because it is less than 3 years old and I dread the prospect of Vista.

It is a Dell Dimension 5100 desktop

Has anyone else had this problem? and
How did you cure it? (other than by switching off for a few hours)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-03-2008, 18:05   #2
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: weird intermittent faults

sounds like to me ya have a virus margaret

but then again im no expert, it could be summat trivial
Old 22-03-2008, 19:01   #3
I am Banned

Hi Margaret.

Sounds like dust iside the computer.

I get that problem every so often, my computers are under the desk,
every so often I take the covers off and blow the dust out,

take the cover off, if its an upright you will find a screw at the back, unfasten it and and side should slide off, inside on the mother board you should see a small fan ontop of the CPU, I'l bet the fan blades are mucky, hold the fan blades still with a pencil gently ,and use a small artists paint brush to clean the fan blades, make sure the air vents are clear on the power pack, and the vents on the casing, don't catch any connections but make sure they are all tightly in place. then put cover back and plug all the externals back and it should be OK.
Don't worry about having to change to vista you can always take the hard drive out and replace it with the one you are already using.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 22-03-2008 at 19:05.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 19:18   #4
God Member

Thanks for that Retlaw - feel better that it is nothing 'terminal'
big sigh of relief

Old 22-03-2008, 19:45   #5
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Hi Margaret.

Sounds like dust iside the computer.

I get that problem every so often, my computers are under the desk,
every so often I take the covers off and blow the dust out,

take the cover off, if its an upright you will find a screw at the back, unfasten it and and side should slide off, inside on the mother board you should see a small fan ontop of the CPU, I'l bet the fan blades are mucky, hold the fan blades still with a pencil gently ,and use a small artists paint brush to clean the fan blades, make sure the air vents are clear on the power pack, and the vents on the casing, don't catch any connections but make sure they are all tightly in place. then put cover back and plug all the externals back and it should be OK.
Don't worry about having to change to vista you can always take the hard drive out and replace it with the one you are already using.
Retlaw.
is that all??

told ya I wasnt a expert...lol
I wouldnt have thought in a million years that 'dust' could make ya computer do that!
Old 22-03-2008, 19:50   #6
God Member

I find that cat hair gets into places that other muck cannot reach.

Old 22-03-2008, 20:20   #7
I am Banned

O yes it will, every time I open them up for cleaning, I find a duplicate of our little dog inside, she likes sitting under my desk chair, waiting for me to stop playing with the idiot box, if I move she's up waiting to see if I change my glasses, if I do she knows she's going out.
Retlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
is that all??

told ya I wasnt a expert...lol
I wouldnt have thought in a million years that 'dust' could make ya computer do that!
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 19:25   #8
God Member

I never managed to get in it to clear out dust and cat hair.

I did get as far as disconnecting all the spaghetti at the back, but was flummoxed at getting it open.

I reconnected the spaghetti and went onto Dell website to read the online user manual, so know I know how, but I think I have found the cause of that grating/pipping noise-

I had been getting an error report message which was connected with 'Kontiki' (thought that was a raft!!)
Eventually identified it with that BBC download programme - so uninstalled that and have had no problems since - so the dust can stay put a bit longer.

Old 02-04-2008, 16:02   #9
God Member

The grating noise returned so I got a new PC delivered yesterday and now it is up and running, I have had the courage to look inside the old one - very little dust to be seen - what dust there was was well away from anything looking important. I 'puffed' at the board wiring places, and puffed a lot more getting the cover back on.
I think that it was giving the first indications of dying, but I will keep it safe as a back up pc, because I can't survive without one.

Last edited by MargaretR; 02-04-2008 at 16:06.
Old 02-04-2008, 16:13   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Sounds to me like you just had a software problem. Your Dell probably came with a restore disk to make it look like when it was new. That will more than likely solve all your software problems but you will loose anything you don't back up. The noise I would guess is only a fan that needs replacing or usually you can re-lubricate them. They are cheap so sometimes its best to just put a new one in. Deffinately no reason to buy a new PC if the old one was a good enough spec for what you used if for.
Old 02-04-2008, 16:17   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Sounds to me like you just had a software problem. Your Dell probably came with a restore disk to make it look like when it was new. That will more than likely solve all your software problems but you will loose anything you don't back up. The noise I would guess is only a fan that needs replacing or usually you can re-lubricate them. They are cheap so sometimes its best to just put a new one in. Deffinately no reason to buy a new PC if the old one was a good enough spec for what you used if for.
I wanted a new monitor anyway - gone from 12" to 22" - WOW it's big!

Old 02-04-2008, 16:41   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Are you sure it was 12"? was it a laptop?
Old 02-04-2008, 16:43   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Are you sure it was 12"? was it a laptop?
I think it would measure 15" diagonally (as you should measure), but only 12" measured horizontally

Old 02-04-2008, 16:49   #14

If you had a intel pentium D processor, it is renowned for overheating and making the fan run to its maximum. The Intel Core 2 doe processor replaced this and eliminates the problem completely.

Its always handy to keep an eye on accumulated muck on the fan as well, especillay if the pc is in an enclosed space x
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 16:56   #15
God Member

Documentation
The fan is positioned behind that indented air inlet, and I regularly removed gunge from it with my electrostatic duster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cvrcls12.jpg (44.6 KB, 6 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..