Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014, 09:21   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Windows XP - will you use after April?

DO you know what processor is in it? Is there a label with Intel on the front, if so what does it say on that label?
I have installed Windows 7 on some 2006 Pentium D Dell PC's recently with only 1GB ram and they are fine for what I suspect you will use yours for. They have Windows 7, Office 2014, Chrome and a few other apps and anti virus on them
Old 07-04-2014, 11:44   #17
Senior Member+

It's an 'Intel Pentium 4 Processor with HT Technology at 3.00GHz and 800Hz fsb'.
It runs BBC iplayer with no problems. As you say, Neil, that's probably the heaviest load I'll put on it!
Windows 7 sounds good, easier to learn than 8. But how long will it be supported for?
You're giving me hope, Neil- I know I should really replace it but it's like a pair of old slippers- I'm comfy with it.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:17   #18
Senior Member+

Well windows 7 requires at least 500mb ram so that's fine. But I have too installed it on older systems and as long as you don't put it at too much risk from malware/spyware you would be alright.

Windows 8 ain't all that different from 7 when you get used to ignoring the metro start screen
Old 07-04-2014, 16:45   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

You can download the Microsoft Windows 7 compatibility checker from here Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from Official Microsoft Download Centre its only 8.3MB and tells you if you can install windows 7 onto your PC
Old 07-04-2014, 16:52   #20
Senior Member+

Neil what do you think of windows 8. After a while its grown on me and there I'd goof improvements to the desktop
Old 07-04-2014, 17:06   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I don't like it, might be ok if you have a touch screen but I like the start button and real desktop. Those stupid big whatever they call them button things just waste space. I think they goofed and assumed everyone has touchscreens. To be honest I can't see me ever wanting a touchscreen desktop. I like the screen quite away from me. I use a touchscreen phone and tablet a lot and somethings are hard to do without a mouse.

When you install it should ask if you want normal or touch screen version in my opinion
Studio25 likes this.
Old 07-04-2014, 18:47   #22
Senior Member+

Sods law! Thought I'd take the PC in sometime soon to the shop who sorted it for me last year to see what he thought.
Got an ' update Java' message this afternoon, downloaded it, found snapdo.com had taken over.
Lots of warnings about it so I took it in straight away- you can't find it to unininstall it. He can sort it but looked inside it while I was there. Upspecing it to run 7or8 wold cost a bomb, better to buy a new one.

Doing this on my Nexus7, who needs a PC? I do!

Just a thought-the Nexus 7 won't be contaminated by snapdo will it?
Old 07-04-2014, 19:04   #23

XP support extended in UK,not sure it's for us plebs or not

UK government pays Microsoft £5.5m to extend Windows XP support | Technology | theguardian.com
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 21:56   #24
Senior Member+

The end of Windows XP | XBMC

Nice ideas of what to do with the old hardware ^

Gordon do you have nexus 7 2103 version? And do you use tapatalk? Well. That Java update wasnt a Java update but a dodgy advert. Funny you mention snapdo... I just installed DVD styler and that wanted me to install that crap! No android won't be infected with toolbars and android being Linux based they shouldn't be able to infect system files without root access. However some dodgy sites might drop .apk files onto your phone so if you suddenly find yourself looking at a message saying cannot install file from unknown sources outside play store you know that is what has happened- you cannot install apps outside playstore without changing settings.

Neil. I disagre. I would totally hate it on a touch screen desktop. I never use metro for clicking stuff and The days of me clicking start menu (on my own PCs) is long from over. Since windows 7/Ubuntu 11.04 I press windows key and type what I want to load. Much faster

Last edited by Restless; 07-04-2014 at 21:59.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 18:30   #25
Senior Member+

Yes,Restless,it's the 2013 one but I don't use tapatalk, must look that up, not sure what the benefits of using it are.
It's a smashing little thing but I'm missing a proper keyboard and 22inch screen!
Had a look,there's a free AGV app you can download for security on the Nexus,looking into that. Is it any good?
Old 08-04-2014, 22:41   #26
Senior Member+

Viewing forums is horrible on android browsers 100% benefits...

I don't bother with those tbh.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:43   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I often browse forums on my S3 using the full desktop Chrome - does that make me odd?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:15   #28
Senior Member+

I often do myself. Though the display is about of a pain
Old 09-04-2014, 13:41   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I often browse forums on my S3 using the full desktop Chrome - does that make me odd?
Don't worry about that,its being a Mod that makes yeh odd.
Old 09-04-2014, 14:29   #30

Is it worth worrying about XP when there are vulnerabilities being discovered in SSL?

They are undetectable and will hit you whatever operating system you use...
Restless likes this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..