Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2011, 20:20   #1
Fra

Wireless network range

Can anyone advise me on my new broadband connection? I've recently gone with orange and they sent me a new router NG1000 which works, but only at close range. I used to be with talk talk but I needed a new router and the one they sent me didn't seem to work so i decided to cancel and get a different provider at a better rate.

The signal strength is excellent when in the same room as the router and the internet seems to work fine but when I move a short distance into the next room it goes to 'very good' but does not allow video streaming and loads up pages very slowly, if at all. I know its not my computer at fault because my friend two doors up lets me use his sky connection and it works fine.

I can plug in the router either into the filter with the telephone or in a separate phone socket and get a connection.

I'm just puzzled as to why I can get my friends connection two doors up but I can't go into the other room with mine!

Any help or suggestions appreciated
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2011, 20:34   #2
I am Banned

Re: Wireless network range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fra View Post
Can anyone advise me on my new broadband connection? I've recently gone with orange and they sent me a new router NG1000 which works, but only at close range. I used to be with talk talk but I needed a new router and the one they sent me didn't seem to work so i decided to cancel and get a different provider at a better rate.

The signal strength is excellent when in the same room as the router and the internet seems to work fine but when I move a short distance into the next room it goes to 'very good' but does not allow video streaming and loads up pages very slowly, if at all. I know its not my computer at fault because my friend two doors up lets me use his sky connection and it works fine.

I can plug in the router either into the filter with the telephone or in a separate phone socket and get a connection.

I'm just puzzled as to why I can get my friends connection two doors up but I can't go into the other room with mine!

Any help or suggestions appreciated
Try going round to your friend ask him to switch his off, and then try to connect, if you can get a connection, to yours from his house, then there must be something shielding the signal, when you move around in your house.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-06-2011 at 20:36.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 20:41   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You could try connecting a network cable between your laptop and router. Turn off the wifi on your laptop so you are using the wired connection and try again and see if you can stream the video and web page loading speed. It might be your internet connection at fault and not your wifi
Old 27-06-2011, 15:18   #4
God Member

change the broadcast channel on your router

probably best ringing tech support and asking them how to do it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 17:07   #5
God Member

Better still scan for what channels are in use and choose one thats not already taken.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 17:21   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Better still scan for what channels are in use and choose one thats not already taken.
Its not that easy though is it because channels overlap?
There are really only 3 channels you can use 1, 6 and 11 or 1, 5, 9 and 13 if you dont mind a bit of overlap.

then you get some tart like me using up 2 channels for n and you have even less space to play with.

Its a stupid situation that should never have happened.

It gets worse, bluetooth pokes its nose into the same frequencies and bluetooth 3 makes it even worse.

then the chap next door with his 2.4ghz video sender so he can watch his TV in bed could cause you interference.

Wifi is just a mess.
Old 27-06-2011, 18:14   #7
God Member

Don't forget dec phones also affect it. I agree its a mess but you can only make the best of a bad lot

Round here its not too bad with it quite easy to find a quiet spot. :-)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..