Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/)
-   -   Mark-ups on accessories (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/mark-ups-on-accessories-17655.html)

vorlon24 24-10-2005 12:05

Mark-ups on accessories

Just ordered a laptop from Dell today, and was having a look at their website before placing my order.

It seems that they charge £80+ for a wireless adsl router, and around £12-13 for a USB cable.

Had a look elsewhere and can get the exact same equipment for £45 and 99p respectively. Even with delivery costs you can save huge amounts of money by buying things elsewhere.

Laptops are not as easy as destops in terms of getting what you want - you normally have to go with the flow, including the pile of useless software that will be uninstalled the day it is turned on...

I was wondering - I have the media for WinXP that I got when I bought my desktop. Can I use this, but use the cd key that I will receive with the new machine? If I can do that I can just install Windows and keep most of the other rubbish off.

Dell are a funny lot - I went for one of their buy now pay within 12 months deals, and they approved me for £2000 worth of credit, then asked me if I wanted to buy anything else!

accymel 24-10-2005 12:29

Re: Mark-ups on accessories

I dont like Dell i have a desktop & its bloody fanicaty, took huge offence to changing the cdrom cos its not a dell one and thats the trouble they are intergrated systems & laptops are even worse for it as my bro is finding out LOL

MUMMIBOO 24-10-2005 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon24
Just ordered a laptop from Dell today, and was having a look at their website before placing my order.

It seems that they charge £80+ for a wireless adsl router, and around £12-13 for a USB cable.

Had a look elsewhere and can get the exact same equipment for £45 and 99p respectively. Even with delivery costs you can save huge amounts of money by buying things elsewhere.

Laptops are not as easy as destops in terms of getting what you want - you normally have to go with the flow, including the pile of useless software that will be uninstalled the day it is turned on...

I was wondering - I have the media for WinXP that I got when I bought my desktop. Can I use this, but use the cd key that I will receive with the new machine? If I can do that I can just install Windows and keep most of the other rubbish off.

Dell are a funny lot - I went for one of their buy now pay within 12 months deals, and they approved me for £2000 worth of credit, then asked me if I wanted to buy anything else!

We must have got ours from the same person at dell then coz we got approved for £2000 credit and he said to us well you might as well use it but we declined!!.

vorlon24 24-10-2005 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel
I dont like Dell i have a desktop & its bloody fanicaty, took huge offence to changing the cdrom cos its not a dell one and thats the trouble they are intergrated systems & laptops are even worse for it as my bro is finding out LOL

Not planning on upgrading it yet - when we are ready to do that we may replace it with a new one as by then it will be obsolete...

entwisi 24-10-2005 13:50

Vorlon, Have you checked the Dell Oulet store? They sell off pre orders that have fallen through at big discounts. You can normally find what you want on there within a day or two(Stock changes constantly)

Ian

Neil 24-10-2005 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
Vorlon, Have you checked the Dell Oulet store? They sell off pre orders that have fallen through at big discounts. You can normally find what you want on there within a day or two(Stock changes constantly)

Ian

Have you a link for that Ian?

entwisi 24-10-2005 15:35

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/de...=uk&l=en&s=dfo

It says that it can be refurbished stock. In over 20 occasions I know of with friends they are clearly brand new unopened stock.