Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2005, 12:05   #1
Senior Member+

Mark-ups on accessories

Just ordered a laptop from Dell today, and was having a look at their website before placing my order.

It seems that they charge £80+ for a wireless adsl router, and around £12-13 for a USB cable.

Had a look elsewhere and can get the exact same equipment for £45 and 99p respectively. Even with delivery costs you can save huge amounts of money by buying things elsewhere.

Laptops are not as easy as destops in terms of getting what you want - you normally have to go with the flow, including the pile of useless software that will be uninstalled the day it is turned on...

I was wondering - I have the media for WinXP that I got when I bought my desktop. Can I use this, but use the cd key that I will receive with the new machine? If I can do that I can just install Windows and keep most of the other rubbish off.

Dell are a funny lot - I went for one of their buy now pay within 12 months deals, and they approved me for £2000 worth of credit, then asked me if I wanted to buy anything else!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2005, 12:29   #2
I am Banned

Re: Mark-ups on accessories

I dont like Dell i have a desktop & its bloody fanicaty, took huge offence to changing the cdrom cos its not a dell one and thats the trouble they are intergrated systems & laptops are even worse for it as my bro is finding out LOL
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 13:02   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
Just ordered a laptop from Dell today, and was having a look at their website before placing my order.

It seems that they charge £80+ for a wireless adsl router, and around £12-13 for a USB cable.

Had a look elsewhere and can get the exact same equipment for £45 and 99p respectively. Even with delivery costs you can save huge amounts of money by buying things elsewhere.

Laptops are not as easy as destops in terms of getting what you want - you normally have to go with the flow, including the pile of useless software that will be uninstalled the day it is turned on...

I was wondering - I have the media for WinXP that I got when I bought my desktop. Can I use this, but use the cd key that I will receive with the new machine? If I can do that I can just install Windows and keep most of the other rubbish off.

Dell are a funny lot - I went for one of their buy now pay within 12 months deals, and they approved me for £2000 worth of credit, then asked me if I wanted to buy anything else!
We must have got ours from the same person at dell then coz we got approved for £2000 credit and he said to us well you might as well use it but we declined!!.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 13:42   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
I dont like Dell i have a desktop & its bloody fanicaty, took huge offence to changing the cdrom cos its not a dell one and thats the trouble they are intergrated systems & laptops are even worse for it as my bro is finding out LOL
Not planning on upgrading it yet - when we are ready to do that we may replace it with a new one as by then it will be obsolete...

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 13:50   #5
God Member

Vorlon, Have you checked the Dell Oulet store? They sell off pre orders that have fallen through at big discounts. You can normally find what you want on there within a day or two(Stock changes constantly)

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 14:14   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Vorlon, Have you checked the Dell Oulet store? They sell off pre orders that have fallen through at big discounts. You can normally find what you want on there within a day or two(Stock changes constantly)

Ian
Have you a link for that Ian?
Old 24-10-2005, 15:35   #7
God Member

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/de...=uk&l=en&s=dfo

It says that it can be refurbished stock. In over 20 occasions I know of with friends they are clearly brand new unopened stock.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..