Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2008, 19:14   #16
God Member

Re: Computer Is Slow Help

I thought it was always in system tools Lisa, but have a look in control panel. Or do as Ian says, hehe!
Accrington Web
Old 29-05-2008, 19:16   #17

thankyou very much

lisa x
lisa1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 19:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I thought it was always in system tools Lisa, but have a look in control panel. Or do as Ian says, hehe!

it used to be but 4 some reason alot of things have disappeared off my comp i dont have any of the games like solitair lol

lisa x
Old 29-05-2008, 19:24   #19
God Member

If it isnt long since these things disappeared, you can system restore to a time before they were lost, but some things added since that time will disappear!
Old 29-05-2008, 19:27   #20
God Member

MOst of teh time teh games are still there, just that teh menu entry gets removed. go into c:\windows\ssystem32 and look at all executables, I can't recall teh exact filename but something is nagging me that it isn't 'solitaire'

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 19:28   #21

i dont honestly remember wen they disappeared lol i only remebered because i went to go play it lol but i know there are a few things missing from my programs menu because it used to be really big and now its really small lol
thanks for your help lisa x
Old 29-05-2008, 19:42   #22
God Member

You do know that XP 'hides' things you haven't used for a while?

There is usually a 'button' with two small arrows, click this and it expands all teh entries.

Old 29-05-2008, 19:55   #23
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1234 View Post
hiya does anyone no how to find this if its not in system tools please? all it says wen i click on that is internet explorer no add ons

TIA lisa x

Are you looking in system tools or in the 'tools' on your browser?

System tools is found as follows:

start > all programs > accessories > system tools ...... and then there you should see 'disc defragmentor'

What is your OS?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 19:58   #24
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

There is usually a 'button' with two small arrows, click this and it expands all teh entries.

Where is this button? I have so many progarms that they can't all fit when I click on 'all programs'. I could do with being able to shuffle them around to see the ones I can't.

Old 29-05-2008, 20:13   #25

be you do disc clean up and defrag have you got enoth room on your hard/drive left this can slow it down??
dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 20:14   #26
God Member

you might have disabled it if you have so many.

One thing you can do is right click over the start button, choose explore

This opens explorer in the start menu for your profile. move up slightly and you will find 'all users', expand this and click into start menu- programs

What you find here are a load of shortcuts to all your programs. what you can do is create 'top level' folders called things like Games, Internet, System, Office, Multimedia etc(up to you what you call them). Then you can move all teh folders etc into these top levels, so You might drag teh mozilla, Internet explorer, news client, email, etc all into teh Internet folder.

When you click teh start- all programs next time you will find teh icons oredered just as you have set them up!.

job done!

Old 29-05-2008, 21:00   #27
Resident Waffler

Woo thanks Ian - now if only I could remember what it was I was looking for!

Old 30-05-2008, 07:54   #28

Quote:
You do know that XP 'hides' things you haven't used for a while?

hiya thanks no i didnt know it hides things an i dont hav a button to expand it either lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Are you looking in system tools or in the 'tools' on your browser?

System tools is found as follows:

start > all programs > accessories > system tools ...... and then there you should see 'disc defragmentor'

What is your OS?
hi do u mean OS as in windows xp, i was lookin in system tools but all it has in there is internet explorer no add ons o well lol

Quote:
you might have disabled it if you have so many.

One thing you can do is right click over the start button, choose explore

This opens explorer in the start menu for your profile. move up slightly and you will find 'all users', expand this and click into start menu- programs

What you find here are a load of shortcuts to all your programs. what you can do is create 'top level' folders called things like Games, Internet, System, Office, Multimedia etc(up to you what you call them). Then you can move all teh folders etc into these top levels, so You might drag teh mozilla, Internet explorer, news client, email, etc all into teh Internet folder.

When you click teh start- all programs next time you will find teh icons oredered just as you have set them up!.

job done!

when i click explore all users it says i have no programs at all lol but if i just click explore it fetches up wat limited things are in my programs bit nothing is hidden or fell to the bottom

thanks for all ur help

lisa x
Old 30-05-2008, 09:07   #29
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1234 View Post

hi do u mean OS as in windows xp, i was lookin in system tools but all it has in there is internet explorer no add ons o well lol

Yes I meant as in Windows XP - I've got that on my desktop PC and mine also has 'Internet Explorer(no addons)' in there but also a bunch of other stuff including disc defragmenter and disc clean up and system restore.

Just had a horrible thought - yours isn't a Time PC is it? A friend of mine had one and it was impossible to access system restore and some other stuff. It kept telling her she had to go back to Time for them to do it for her!

Old 30-05-2008, 09:27   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Yes I meant as in Windows XP - I've got that on my desktop PC and mine also has 'Internet Explorer(no addons)' in there but also a bunch of other stuff including disc defragmenter and disc clean up and system restore.

Just had a horrible thought - yours isn't a Time PC is it? A friend of mine had one and it was impossible to access system restore and some other stuff. It kept telling her she had to go back to Time for them to do it for her!

i dont think its a time pc. i dont really know my ex bought it i dont know much about computers it gets me on the net thats all i know lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..