Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 14:17   #1

Wink Get Firefox!

Get Firefox Now!!

Http://www.GetFirefox.com

As soon as you start using it you will notice a faster and cleaner feel when browsing.

As soon as I turned my back on Internet Explorer I've never looked back. There are much better things in Firefox than IE.

Tabbed browsing.. Although Internet Explorer has started to use this aswell, Firefox's look much better and are easier to find etc.

Popup ads are blocked. It also tells you when its blocked an ad on a perticular site.

Google is built right into the top right hand corner of the Firefox window for easy searching!

There's much more stuff but Firefox is the best browser I've ever used. It's better than Explorer by leaps and bounds. I don't miss Explorer one iota. Give Firefox one day of surfing the web and you won't either.

Old 05-11-2007, 14:37   #2
God Member

Re: Get Firefox!

So you've tried the other options as well have you?

You need to at very least try Opera as one of teh other players in teh market. I use it on both Windows (work) and Linux (home) and its superior to firefox IMHO

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 14:41   #3
God Member

It is better & quicker in some ways to firefox & certainly windows but not all websites work on Opera

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 14:52   #4

Firefox for the win!
Old 05-11-2007, 21:00   #5
God Member

Any specific ones you care to mention? You can always use the user agent to spoof it for that particular site. I've yet to find a site that isn't suported.

I love features like the voice tool that will read highlighted text to you. I can sit at work with a techie site open on a subject I want to brush up on, shade teh tex and click voice and it reads it out to me whilst I get on with work.

Or teh way that sites all have their own set of preferences so I can allow pop ups or images or cookies at a granular level very easily

or context menu (Right Click) that includes sensible options like search with and a selection of sites liek google, dictionary, etc

Or even a simple Go to URL option for where URLS are on web pages but not as a link,

Teh trash can to recover tabs you accidentally closed, thumbnail views of all tabs, teh list goes on

Also if your a keyboard person teh shortcuts are better configured ( Z is back instead of ALT Back Arrow.) One finger to rule teh world

Old 05-11-2007, 21:09   #6
God Member

Banking online doesn't work with opera.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 21:15   #7
God Member

Barclays does, Lloyds TSB does that I know of. You have tried spoofing teh user agent haven't you?

Old 05-11-2007, 21:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Any specific ones you care to mention? You can always use the user agent to spoof it for that particular site. I've yet to find a site that isn't suported.

I love features like the voice tool that will read highlighted text to you. I can sit at work with a techie site open on a subject I want to brush up on, shade teh tex and click voice and it reads it out to me whilst I get on with work.

Or teh way that sites all have their own set of preferences so I can allow pop ups or images or cookies at a granular level very easily

or context menu (Right Click) that includes sensible options like search with and a selection of sites liek google, dictionary, etc

Or even a simple Go to URL option for where URLS are on web pages but not as a link,

Teh trash can to recover tabs you accidentally closed, thumbnail views of all tabs, teh list goes on

Also if your a keyboard person teh shortcuts are better configured ( Z is back instead of ALT Back Arrow.) One finger to rule teh world
You type 'teh' a lot, I used to do that..

Old 05-11-2007, 21:18   #9
God Member

Search back teh old threads a bit more( I see you do it a lot anyway)

You'll find out why..........

Old 05-11-2007, 21:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Search back teh old threads a bit more( I see you do it a lot anyway)

You'll find out why..........
It'd take me all year to find so I'll forget it.
Old 05-11-2007, 22:27   #11

im going to try that firefox sounds ok.
Old 05-11-2007, 23:49   #12

I use opera mini on my phone as web browser. Im assuming its made by the same company. Been using it for 3 months now and it rocks.
Old 05-11-2007, 23:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I use opera mini on my phone as web browser. Im assuming its made by the same company. Been using it for 3 months now and it rocks.
You've started typing very fast on that phone of yours!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:11   #14
God Member

yes it is, I also use it on my phone and as you say its rather good.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:17   #15
God Member

I love safari. It performs even better than Opera for me, although I have never tried it on Windows. I hear its not too brilliant there

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..