Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 20:14   #1
Len
God Member

Ham Radio

Are there any radio hams lurking on this site?
Attached Images
File Type: gif radio2.gif (10.3 KB, 331 views)

Donate to Accyweb here:

Last edited by Len; 06-01-2004 at 20:16.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-01-2004, 17:59   #2

Accy Hams

Hello Len the name's Ian, G0BMH.
g0bmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2004, 19:07   #3
Len
God Member

G0BMH
Welcome to Accy web Ian.
Hope you find it a place of Interest." I have". Been messing around here for a few months now.
You will find that there is a good set of folk here. They made me feel welcome.
Some time this week this site will be off line for a couple of days because the admin is changing servers.
I haven't been active with radio for some time now.
Do you ever hear Bob 3VGB?

6PXX

Last edited by Len; 13-01-2004 at 20:01.
Old 13-01-2004, 23:16   #4

Well beggar me sideways........ remember G1HUW? (My old call) We spent many hours exchanging software for the spectrum.......... Ossy to Snuffy and back.

I do hear Bob on sometimes but he is mainly using slowscan.

Catch you later,

Ian
G0BMH / N3XSA
(Ex G1HUW)
Old 14-01-2004, 18:46   #5
Len
God Member

Hi Ian.

You are right. I rooted out my logbook and found that I first worked you on the 14,12,1984.
The last time you had the new callsign and that was on the 27,9,85. Then you disappeared, no doubt to the HF bands. lol.
I do remember the data transmitions; I probably still have the tapes somewhere. Hi
There were a couple of chaps in Manchester who were very active on this subject and I struggled to receive their data but I got most of it. I used to sit there watching it go in with fingers crossed then right at the last minute, crash.
Anyhow, how's it going? You still active.

6PXX

Last edited by Len; 14-01-2004 at 18:51.
Old 16-01-2004, 06:34   #6

Yes I dipped my toes in the HF bands for a while then spent a bit of time studying for the final exams at Fleetwood. Then it was a case of sorting myself out with a job, By the time I'd done all that lot Radio had taken a bit of a back seat..... but it was still there! Recently I've been getting into the Summits On The Air programme.... it's a bit like W.A.B., but for nutters!

I actually have an office in the Tele. Exchange in Snuffy, developing bespoke software for BT, and I'm back in Ossy about 500Yds from my parents house, so I've got a good takeoff again!

Ian
Old 22-01-2004, 18:36   #7
Resting In Peace

Hi Guys, Ernie here G0JSQ, originally from Accy but residing in Bury for the last ten years, I used to be quite active on 20 and 40 but cw only because had to run QRP due to TVI, all good fun though, 73s de G0JSQ VA..
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2004, 20:41   #8
Len
God Member

Hi Ernie.

Thanks for your post.

Lets see how many local callsigns we can collect in this thread.

6PXX

Last edited by Len; 10-05-2004 at 15:46.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:44   #9

Re: Ham Radio

Hi All,

Amazing that I found this "little gem" hidden away on page 7 of a google search. Read a few threads and it seems like a good little forum.
I was searching for "Ham Radio" in Lancashire and these pages came up, I am trying to find some one who can take me through the Foundation License course in the locality, as I now live in Clitheroe, but I am finding it really difficult. Spoke to Paul Helliwell (G0KAO)yesterday and as helpfull as he was he cannot do the course with me as his shack is dismantled at the moment. I have many years experience in the rad comms field and I would like to get licensed as soon as poss. Could any of you kind gents point me in the right direction or give me some pointers as to where, who to speak to.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards and 73's

Lee
El Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 17:41   #10
Len
God Member

Hi
I sat the RAE in 1982 at a public school in Clitheroe; I'm just not sure of the schools name but at that time they where running two classes. These days I am out of touch with the procedures one has to go through to acquire a license.
Hopefully someone else may come across this thread and may be able to help.
I've been doing some searches myself to see if I can find any ham radio forums but I have found nothing really to tell you. Did you try the RSGB?

I have put on the links below but I don't think they will be of any use to you.
Good luck!
6PXX

UK Amateur Radio
Quick Links
http://users.zetnet.co.uk/kama/hamlinks.htm

Monitored Internet Sites of Interest
http://www.monitor.co.uk/

http://www.radiolicencecentre.co.uk/rlc/
Old 05-05-2004, 07:35   #11

Hi Len,

Thanks for the info and help, it took me some 6 hrs yesterday trying to get on a course or even find any help and direction. Needless to say I am now enrolled on a course which starts tonight (wed 5 May) so with any luck I should be up and running within a few weeks.

Once again thanks for the help and I look forward to joining you both on here and talking to you on the local repeater.

rgds and 73's

Lee
El Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 16:49   #12
Len
God Member

Good luck Lee.

Let me know your callsign when you get it.

73's
6PXX
Old 10-05-2004, 12:47   #13

hi Len i'm G8xsu name Mick location Clitheroe
G8XSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 15:39   #14
Len
God Member

Welcome Mick to accyweb.

I've just had a quick look through my log and I see that I haven't worked you before.
Do enjoy your visit and thanks for entering into this thread.

6PXX

Last edited by Len; 10-05-2004 at 15:52.
Old 27-08-2005, 19:49   #15
UBZ
Junior Member+

Used to be G1UBZ, lived up Dill Hall.
Moved to Canada in 1994, now VE6UBZ.

Hi to Ernie (G0JSQ) haven't heard/seen you in a long time,
and Hi to Ian (G0BMH) we went to college together for a while.

Cheers,

Dennis.
UBZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..