Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2008, 01:30   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

iPlayer coming to Virgin Media Cable TV

Its about time you could watch BBC iPlayer on your TV without having to sit around your PC argueing who gets the comfy PC chair and who has to sit on the dining table chairs.

More infor here BBC iPlayer coming to TV

Sorry to you Sky customers you will have to watch iPlayer on your PC's still.
Old 13-05-2008, 05:30   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: iPlayer coming to Virgin Media Cable TV

Good news Neil i am with Virgin Media so will get it FREE
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 08:46   #3
God Member

err, but as 99% of all LCD TVs have a VGA port why not just plug the laptop/PC into the big screen and watch it in comfort as you would Sky TV. I also heard that its coming to Wii so theres another option.(update, its out for Wii but costs ~£3.50 or 500 wii points)

Of more concern is that the ISPs are all kicking off at teh extra bandwidth all this TV on demand is using and are thinking of either charging extra for this sort of service or traffic shaping it.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 15:05   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
err, but as 99% of all LCD TVs have a VGA port why not just plug the laptop/PC into the big screen and watch it in comfort as you would Sky TV
No thanks, laptop for computing not telly watching.

Quote:
Of more concern is that the ISPs are all kicking off at teh extra bandwidth all this TV on demand is using and are thinking of either charging extra for this sort of service or traffic shaping it.
Change to virgin then, they must not mind seeing as they are adding the option to their set top boxes.

I suspect it wont be classed as download either because lots of VM customers have TV and no broadband. It will work because in effect the TV box is already on virgin's network. For it to work with sky you would have to connect your digibox to the internet somehow.
Old 18-05-2008, 19:12   #5
Senior Member+

Wish we could get virgin round here
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 19:55   #6
God Member

Neil. teh virgin box is as teh Sky+ is also just a computer in a shiny box. so just becaseu its not part of your "broadband package" as its coming down teh same cable it has to affet the capacity of what they can chuck down teh fibre optic. if you have 2 V-boxes in your house downloading iplyer stuff do you honestly believe it won't affect your broadband download speed?

why laptop for computing Tv for tele? it makes no odds to me, teh "TV" is a display", teh computer is a source of that display data. thats all. I thought you of all peeps on here would have been happy for device convergence.

Old 21-05-2008, 20:55   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Neil. teh virgin box is as teh Sky+ is also just a computer in a shiny box. so just becaseu its not part of your "broadband package" as its coming down teh same cable it has to affet the capacity of what they can chuck down teh fibre optic. if you have 2 V-boxes in your house downloading iplyer stuff do you honestly believe it won't affect your broadband download speed?
Cable in our area is not fibre but coaxial cable. The max download peaks out at about 30Mb down the coax from what I have read.

Now you mention using 2 V-boxes that is another plus over Sky. You can have several boxes on the one cable feed without the need for extra dishes or multi output LNB's with shed loads of cables running from the dish all over the place. I think a V+ box has 3 tuners so you can watch one channel and record 2 others at the same time.
Old 22-05-2008, 01:24   #8
God Member

but isn't the whole point that its ONE cable so the more V boxes, teh less bandwidth for other stuff. think iplayer, internet access, etc

fibre or cable is irrelevant, in fact if anything co-ax is less ' future proof' than fibre would
be.

Old 22-05-2008, 04:24   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
but isn't the whole point that its ONE cable so the more V boxes, teh less bandwidth for other stuff. think iplayer, internet access, etc

fibre or cable is irrelevant, in fact if anything co-ax is less ' future proof' than fibre would
be.
Only sort of Ian. That 30Mb limit is due to only using a couple of frequencies for broadband. Once they switch of the analog TV service on VM they will be able to use more channels for broadband and add more digital TV programs as well. They are currently testing 100Mb broadband modems and head end equipment ready for when they do switch of the analog.

It is the same with terrestrial TV. one analog channel can be replaced with 10 digital ones. Also because there is not the same interferance problems with digital the frequencies used can be closer together so even more channels can fill the old analog space.

I agree with the fibre thing but I think coax will out perform a copper twisted pair from BT's exchange for a long time to come.

Here are a couple of interesting quotes (if you like that sort of thing)

Quote:
The first "wideband" cable modems employing the DOCSIS 3.0 transmission standard, which can deliver download speeds of 100Mbps or more, have been certified for production.

CableLabs, which is licensed to test for the standards, approved two modems from Motorola and models from Ambit, Arris Group, Cisco Systems and SMC Networks.

Headend equipment has also been approved as complying with the complete DOCSIS 3.0 standard for the first time. Two cable modem termination systems from Casa Systems were certified. A CMTS from Motorola was certified as supporting only the basic features.

Brian Roberts, chief executive of US cable provider Comcast and chairman of CableLabs, said: "We have now achieved successful certification testing for a system of very high-speed cable data products.

"This is a great accomplishment, ensuring that cable customers will continue to have access to the fastest Internet service available, along with access to more advanced service offerings."

In the UK, Virgin is in the process of implementing a version of DOCSIS 3.0 in some areas to provide downstream speeds of up to 50Mbps.
Quote:
Turning off analogue signals will allow Virgin Media to provide 100Mbps downstream speeds over its cable network "if we chose", according to the firm's chief executive.

Neil Berkett said the combined effects of introducing the DOCSIS 3.0 transmission standard and the freeing up of capacity by switching off analogue cable TV transmissions would allow it to continue providing faster broadband than competitors.

The company today confirmed it was commencing a tentative region-by-region programme of ending analogue cable TV service.

"Relatively modest investment in customer equipment and [headend] ports for channel bonding is required to do this and is included in our current capital expenditure guidance," he told investors.

"Next year our 20Mbps and 50Mbps customers will move to the DOCSIS 3.0 platform. This will significantly improve the quality of service provided to all our customers, as the 2Mbps and 10Mbps customers will have more bandwidth specifically dedicated to them. This will help push real world delivery speeds as close as possible to the advertised headline speeds."

Berkett said: "We currently only use two 8Mhz channels to serve all our broadband customers. For DOCSIS 3.0 this will be tripled. Each additional channel will be freed up by switching off a single analogue channel.

"Clearly it will not be long before we are in a position to switch off analogue completely, and this will free up significant bandwidth for even higher broadband speeds. We could easily provide 100Mbps if we chose to do so. We have a huge broadband advantage over competing technologies for speed quality, reliability and cost."

The newly freed-up spectrum could also be used to provide more linear television channels or more on-demand programmes and films.

Berkett said broadband provided over BT's network would be unable to match Virgin's speeds despite a significant ongoing investment in its network. He also predicted that development of new super-high speed networks was some way off.

Last edited by Neil; 22-05-2008 at 04:32.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 10:06   #10
God Member

Why do they still send analog down teh wire? The fact that they 'control' teh equipment in your house surely they could dump analog at any point of their choosing. Seems a bit strange to me. Its like Sky still sending stuff over teh old analog satellites. I seem to recall that being switched off years ago(googling suggests 2001)

Old 22-05-2008, 13:45   #11

Nope watching PC via the tele just doesnt feel right. The iplayer on VTV works fine and I didnt feel any internet slow down etc

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..