Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2006, 16:44   #1
God Member

Isn't technology great

Question is though whens it going to slow down? will it ever?
Didn't seem too long ago when I got my first mobile phone, seemed ok at the time but when you think back it was like carrying a brick round with you
The 1st ones we used at work were even bigger, they were like a car battery in a carry case with a handset placed on top of it
Just got myself a new one this week and you can watch live sky tv on it, has satellite navigation, 2mp camera with 20X zoom (my first digital camera was only 0.8mp) norton anti-virus built in it, can open word docs, can use IM and too much more to write here
Just how much better will things get?

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2006, 16:47   #2
God Member

Re: Isn't technology great

next we'll be able to flyyyyyyy with 'em!

....the more Bond style gadgets the better I say
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 17:01   #3
God Member

I saw an ad today for the new samsung i300, Windows mobile OS with integrated 3 GIG drive, megapixel camera etc.

It really is becoming the device of convergence. We used to have a phone, a walkman and a camera, look at what we have now and the size of it.

I'm stuggling to see what else we could get on there though, Programmable IR/radio transmitter to add all your remotes onto? i.e. use it to open the car, turn on teh TV/Sky/Stereo etc

In order for stuff to REALLY take off I think they need to drop teh price of data transmission. i Mean we get 1 gig ADSL for £15 a month but mobile data costs ~£1/meg.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 09:55   #4
Resting in Peace

Yes K.S.H but can you make phone calls on it thats all you really need a phone for
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 10:00   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Yes K.S.H but can you make phone calls on it thats all you really need a phone for
Yeah, I forgot that one
But I do use a lot of features on my phones, they are my diary, reminders, internet, email while I am away from home. Now have sat nav to get where i'm going easily and its nice having a 2mp camera with you, they print well at
7 X 5.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 12:01   #6
God Member

I got a 1.3M pixel camera just after they appeared(9 months ago) as we had Siobhan and I wanted to be able to take those spur of the moment snaps. I always carry my phone but rarely have a camera to hand. We have loads of really good pictures which whilst not the 12 megapixel of my digi camera we do actually have them.

I regularly use Internet on my phone and collect emails on it( I even have a special mobile email account on my domain) I use bluetooth and IR to transfer stuff to/from it and as I have a 512M card in it I carry all sorts of useful stuff around. (you need AVG on your PC? Its on my memory card as is Zone Alarm )

It even has a small bootable linux distro for rescuing PCs.

It even makes good calls too! I'm due an upgrade in 3 months and I'm starting to see what will be on the market then.

Ian

Old 15-01-2006, 12:43   #7
Resting in Peace

Have you seen that new programme 'Life on Mars' ? It's about a detective who is supposedly transported back to 1973 .. very authentic and gives you an excellent insight into how we have moved on technically in the last 33 years. Fascinating.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 12:50   #8
God Member

Yep, watched it and it was an eye opener to see offices without PCs, no mobiles, stuff taking weeks to do that takes a PC seconds. Quite a good series I think.

I think whilst it did show what we have technically the biggest eyeopener was a difference in attitudes, very non PC. Some stuff rather embarrassing but on teh whole me thinks we maybe haven't made as much 'progress' as we think we have

Old 15-01-2006, 15:37   #9
God Member

Actually scrap my last post; I think it's totally wrong how much technology is developing into stand-alone machines with everything you apparently 'need' in the modern world.
The more people rely on machines the vulnerable we are to social collapse.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 16:27   #10
I am Banned

in sweeden nokia phones can be used to activate household appliences and monitor their homes when teh burgular alarm is activated

watched a program where nokia showed what their phones could be used for and when the alarm on the house was triggered the phone connected to the cameras in the house and they could see what was happening although watching a burgular at work would be pretty gutting lol

also did things like open close the gararge doors , switch on the tv and video etc all from the mobile phone miles away

i would hate to loose my phone someone could have serious fun if they had that acess to your house lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 19:06   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i would hate to loose my phone someone could have serious fun if they had that acess to your house lol
It would be ok unless they also knew your password
Old 15-01-2006, 19:37   #12
God Member

Probably use some biometric system so they would need your finger or eye as well.

Old 15-01-2006, 20:24   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Probably use some biometric system so they would need your finger or eye as well.
would you require a USB eye and where can i get one if needed..?
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 21:28   #14
Resident Waffler

Am I the only person who only uses her phone to talk to people or send text messages?

Mine does all kinds of things I never ever use.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 22:04   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Am I the only person who only uses her phone to talk to people or send text messages?
Yes

Probably not really. I bet a large percentage on mobile phone users only use them like you do.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..