Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 15:06   #1
Yank in King Art's Court!

Latest on Laptops?

Annie is in need of a laptop for College. She has been brainwashed to think that only an Apple Notebook will be worthy of her use! I must admit, the college's here do really push the kids having an Apple. They even offer free repairs throughout the 4 years.

The one she has settled on is $1,399 and meets or exceeds all the recommenedations from the college.

So, quick question, is Apple really worth the extra ~$300 (IMO) just for the name? She can get the "same" laptop from other companies for ~$1,000. Any and all thoughts are most appreciated.

I have no experience with these things.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2007, 15:25   #2
God Member

Re: Latest on Laptops?

surely the 4 years free repair is worth $300 though???
Old 10-07-2007, 15:28   #3
God Member

I'd have thought the same, maybe worth dropping it after 3½ year and get a new one before she finishes

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 15:41   #4
Resident Waffler

Apple numpty question coming up.

If someone has an apple laptop can they network it with PCs or are they totally incompatible and how do you go on transferring data like with a USB pen drive?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 15:44   #5

Thanks for the comments. Good question Willow. Again, I don't understand any of that stuff.

I just wasn't sure if Apple was that much better than all the others out there. Plus, how often would a new Apple Laptop even need to be repaired?

Brian

Old 10-07-2007, 18:46   #6
God Member

Apples are > than $300 more spec for spec. a few months ago when I was buying a new laptop I fancied a MacBook Pro, only one problem, they are £1500. The same spec PC cost me just over £500. I had this discusssion with Roy at teh last meet. there is NO way that its worth £1K extra. Shove Linux on a PC and you have the stability of OSX with the costs of PC.

Don't get me wrong, they are very stylish/trendy and are generally very stable/secure but they do charge absolute top dollar for what you get.

re how often do they need repairs? just like any electronic equipment they can break. They do have good customer service though on the whole.

When it comes to networks etc as Willow asked. Clearly programs aren't interchangeable between Mac and PC, data as in docs/spreadsheets etc are although I did read that MS are stopping supporting some of their products on Apple. Music/Images etc are of course fine. They will connect over networks but do need a bit more effort than just XP to XP

Brian what spec Macbook are you talking about, I'll dig around to see what 'equivilant' there are for you.

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 21:31   #7

Leave it to Ian to be such a big help (as well as to throw all that Klingon computer language at me!) Thanks for the reply. I'll let Annie look at it when she comes home. I believe the 2 Macbooks below is what she's looking at. I believe she can get "the Black one" for $1399. Just looking at this she could more then make due with the "white" one. She may say she's going for that extra GB stuff but I know my girl! Good thing they didn't offer a red one for an extra $200eh?LOL

So there we have it.

• 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 1GB memory
  • 120GB hard drive1
  • Double-layer SuperDrive
Ships: Within 24 hours
Free Shipping
$1,299.00
or as low as $31 a month
  • 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 1GB memory
  • 160GB hard drive1
  • Double-layer SuperDrive
Ships: Within 24 hours
Free Shipping
$1,499.00

Old 12-07-2007, 14:47   #8

Oh oh, haven't receive any replies since my last post. Having just read my first line I hope it didn't come across as offensive. It looked kinda "wrong" to me. So sorry if it came off that way to you guys!

I REALLY appreciate any and all advice given in this area. Sometimes I try to get too "cute" with my comments.

Annie and I continue to wait for any further guidance.

Cheers to All!

Brian

Old 12-07-2007, 14:56   #9

try the website moneysupermarket.com to find a laptop
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 14:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjdallen View Post
try the website moneysupermarket.com to find a laptop
sorry

Cheap loans | mortgages | credit cards | home & car insurance - moneysupermarket UK
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 15:56   #11
God Member

Brian , have her give a call to the college IT center and ask them what basics she will need to hook up to the college system , a neighbour kid of mine transfered from Cal State to University of California and had problems with the differing systems .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 16:16   #12
Resident Waffler

That's a point I hadn't thought of - do the college push it because it fits their system?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 22:50   #13
God Member

HI Brian, Sorry, been silly busy at work so not had chance to look yet, I'll do some digging tomorrow and Sat if thats OK.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 10:28   #14
Senior Member+

I run both a PC and an Apple iBook on the same network with no problems at all. At work we only use Macs, but when people come in who do use PCs then they connect straight off.

LYY - have you looked at the official Apple store? Apple offer significant reductions for students and those working in the education system. I know that people in work have bought Macs at cheaper prices that way.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..