Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2008, 02:12   #1
God Member

LCD or Plasma TV ?

Anyone got any opinion on which is best , the positives and negatives of both , the dpi number etc.
The pre Christmas sales are due to start and the various stores are "supposedly' coming out with some great bargins 40+ " screens for about $600 (£ 300 ) , not really interested in playing games (x box etc.) if that makes a difference , just telly viewing and watching DVDs .
Also there is the new "blue-ray'" DVD system is this applicable to both plasma and lcd or makes no diference
Thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2008, 07:35   #2
I am Banned

Re: LCD or Plasma TV ?

the difference between plasma and lcd is the way that they are lit- I am not sure that the overall quality is much different - long term lcd's are better because the "pixels" are basically lit by a tube - if your screen goes usually it is only the light that needs replacing.
plasma tvs are lit by each cell being electrically charged - they use an awful lot more electricity - get pretty warm ( though may save on heating lol) and when the screen on a plasma goes then it has to be fully replaced because it is the electrical connection between the cells that dont work anymore. so it would be pretty expensive to repair.

if you google the question you can get some good answers but basically thats it - ( oh and plasmas are much more expensive) go for a good contrast ratio which is what you are looking at for good colour images ( wide contrast range) get the largest contrast ratio you can afford.
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 09:14   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

LCD are the best IMO, but look here and this should make ya mind up
Plasma or LCD TV? | Technology | guardian.co.uk
Old 14-11-2008, 09:20   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Plasma Pros:

Better blacks means better contrast ratio

Better color saturation due to better black level performance

Better motion tracking (little or no motion lag in fast moving images)

Bigger screen sizes for less money

Plasma Cons:

Reflective glass screens mean distracting reflections when light is bouncing off the screen

Not as bright as LCD panels

Potential burn-in problems from static images

Draws more electrical current then LCD panels

Does not perform as well at higher altitudes

LCD Pros:

Extremely bright and therefore better able to compete with ambient light, which makes them a better choice for bright rooms.

No burn in issues.

No high altitude use issues.

LCD Cons:

Generally poor black level performance, which also reduces contrast ratio.

Poorer motion tracking (potential motion lag in fast moving images).

The really large screen sizes from 52-inches and up are still generally more expensive than plasma.
Old 14-11-2008, 09:39   #5
K-P

Having just been through all this.. what I could find was that up to 40" then LCD and anything bigger then Plasma... I just got a 50" plasma and its...well it's mint! as the kids say

I went to Farnworth near Bolton to this place who do a really good price
Sound & Vision - Great Deals on Televisions, DVDs, HiFis & Camcorders

Also the AV forums is considered to be the very best place for advice on electrical equipment.. direct link to TV section . http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/

Although having just seen your location am I wasting my time with local info ?

Last edited by K-P; 14-11-2008 at 09:41.
K-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 13:26   #6
God Member

yep, I'd agree, up to 40 LCD, over 40 plasma

however, there is a huge difference between makes and models. I find Samsung to be very good, Panasonic, Sony and LG all have good reputations as well.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 16:32   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
yep, I'd agree, up to 40 LCD, over 40 plasma

however, there is a huge difference between makes and models. I find Samsung to be very good, Panasonic, Sony and LG all have good reputations as well.
I have a samsung 46" LCD and cant fault it really, main thing with a big TV is the signal it recieves, football can be bad some times (Blocky). But as I play Xbox games you really see the quality there.

My mate had a 50" Plasma and it wasnt as sharpe, or had the contrast ratio anywhere near mine, all I would say it looked warmer in the colours, I personally prefaired mine.

AVforums as stated above is a very good sorce of Info.
Old 14-11-2008, 16:43   #8
Resting in Peace

I have a 37 and a 42 plasma and the picture is first class on both
Old 15-11-2008, 10:07   #9
God Member

One important thing to note is that out of teh box they are very rarely set up for home viewing. Normally they tend to be a bit to bright and vivid to catch your eye in teh shop. At home this will become tiresome.

Make sure you set it up properly when you get home and it will make a huge difference.

I notice no-ones mentioned the blu ray bit. This is just a high def format of DVD and the output will be over a relatively 'new' connector called HDMI. Realistically make sure your new TV has a min of 2 HDMI connections, more is better.

Old 15-11-2008, 11:40   #10
K-P

Quote:
One important thing to note is that out of teh box they are very rarely set up for home viewing. Normally they tend to be a bit to bright and vivid to catch your eye in teh shop. At home this will become tiresome.

Yeagh I was a bit shocked when I got mine.. what an awful pic I thought.. someone else said its because setup in a shop,, theres some tutorial on the AV forums on how to do it... personally i just did the settings to taste

I do find the faces washed out on older programs/fiilms... but anything new and its bob on..
Old 15-11-2008, 14:03   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Make sure you set it up properly when you get home and it will make a huge difference.

I notice no-ones mentioned the blu ray bit. This is just a high def format of DVD and the output will be over a relatively 'new' connector called HDMI. Realistically make sure your new TV has a min of 2 HDMI connections, more is better.
I think most TVs have 2 HDMI connections, I know mine have
Old 15-11-2008, 18:15   #12
God Member

some of the earlier ones and the cheaper end of the market only have one or even NONE! they can still do HD over DVI or Component and still be classed as HD Ready.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..