Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 23:04   #1
Always EVIL within us

Learn by Video

This site is a must for those that only know the basics of computers....
It gives tips by video that are idiot proof!

http://imgsrv.worldstart.com/videotips/index.htm

(After the video loads, it will not play until you hit the "go" button on the media player)

Last edited by Busman747; 11-03-2005 at 23:08.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2005, 23:54   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Learn by Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747

(After the video loads, it will not play until you hit the "go" button on the media player)
It would have been far more interesting if you had let us work this out for ourselves, in fact you have taken away the only possible amount of satisfaction that could be attained in watching such a mundane tip (although I suppose any-one that needed to be told that, would probably have found the tip too advanced to understand).

(Oooh, it tends to make ones brain hurt, wheres nanny gone I need a cuddle!).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 00:15   #3
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
(Oooh, it tends to make ones brain hurt, wheres nanny gone I need a cuddle!).
Sorry less I added the bit about starting the media player because the site is aimed at those who are not completely computer literate and as you know, most videos load and then start up on their own...or have "START" written across the screen.

Many accy members admit to being naive when it comes to computers and will find this a great help. When was the last time you emptied your "prefetch" cache?? Even experienced webbers sometimes need reminding of basic things like this..........

You may not have noticed but I put this thread in the Technical & User to User Help section because I am a user and want to help other users as I hope they will help me when I have difficulties.

You are obviously more advanced, but there must have been a time when you would have appreciated help in such a simple format......Unless you were born computer literate??
Old 12-03-2005, 00:26   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
Sorry less I added the bit about starting the media player because the site is aimed at those who are not completely computer literate and as you know, most videos load and then start up on their own...or have "START" written across the screen.

Many accy members admit to being naive when it comes to computers and will find this a great help. When was the last time you emptied your "prefetch" cache?? Even experienced webbers sometimes need reminding of basic things like this..........

You may not have noticed but I put this thread in the Technical & User to User Help section because I am a user and want to help other users as I hope they will help me when I have difficulties.

You are obviously more advanced, but there must have been a time when you would have appreciated help in such a simple format......Unless you were born computer literate??
Ever so sorry Busman I didn't notice you had put it in that particular catagory, I thought you were doing one of your more usual how simple do they think we are type wind ups.

So if you are a member that has come to this thread looking to advance yourself please ignore anything that I have posted, (erm, any-one out there that is advanced enough can tell me how to make this statement a sticky thread then it can be attached to anything I post anywhere).

Last edited by Less; 12-03-2005 at 00:28.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:15   #5
Senior Member+

Thanks for the tip Busman, i have put the site in my favorites. You never know when it will come in usefull.Unlike less i'm not that clever on pc. lol
Old 12-03-2005, 15:14   #6
Resident Waffler

I remember when I first got a PC and hadn't a clue what to do or where to start. Most of what I've learned has been by trial and error and by the goodness of others willing to share what they know. There are some people out there who are possessive of their knowledge but like to show off their skills and people like that really bug me but life is full of them I suppose. For every one like that there is at least one more willing to share.

I still forget how to do things if I haven't done them for a while and I'm sure that Homer Simpson was right when he said that each time you learn something new a bit of old info falls out of your brain because things seems to fall out of mine with alarming regularity.

Talking of things it's easy to forget to do, like clearing the cache, I'm a classic for not doing back ups of things and I learned a lesson in that when I lost all my customisation of windows. I have redone it and this time I have made a back up. But this thread has just reminded me that it's quite a while since I defragged. There was once a time when I didn't even know what that meant. I was chatting to someone one day who was having trouble with their PC and I asked if they'd cleared their cache recently to which I got the response "What's a cache?" I wonder how many people don't know but are just afraid to ask.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 17:49   #7
Senior Member+

I defragg my pc every few weeks willow, but what does clearing the cache mean.
Old 12-03-2005, 18:05   #8
Resident Waffler

Oh this is going to be good because I know what I mean but whether I can explain it to somebody else is another question.

You know when you vist websites and stuff (like coming on here) your PC remembers it and stores it so it's quicker to get here next time. The problem is that when you visit a lot of places you get a lot of stuff stored and it sort of bungs up the works. So periodically if you give it a clear out it might be a little slower the first time you access AccyWeb but your PC in general should be quicker.

Now I know how I get at it but I'm not sure that's the official way because I seem to do everything back to front and upside down.

I presume you use Internet Explorer? Click on "Tools" and select "internet options" and under the general tab you'll find the option to clear your cookies and files. When you click the "files" one it also asks if you want to clear off-line content.

You can also set the number of days you want things to stay in the history.

Old 12-03-2005, 18:07   #9
Senior Member+

Thanks i now know what you mean, i shall give it a try.
Old 12-03-2005, 18:17   #10
Resident Waffler

I have no idea how you get to it if you use firefox or something else.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..