Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2005, 19:27   #1

Question Microsoft updates

Does anyone know what is going on with Automatic Updates. Yesterday I was informed that I had to download a new program to receive critical updates from Microsoft. Having done this and downloaded and installed the latest updates, what happens?
Tonight at 7.30pm (whilst viewing Accyweb) I get an automatic download from windows with of all things.
2x Office updates
1x Security update for Word
1X French spelling checker ?
1x French grammer checker ?
1x Outlook junk e-mail filter ?
It might sound O.K. to some but 1. I dont speak french. 2. I dont use Outlook. 3. My settings for updates is Daily at 3am? I am

Last edited by jpest1; 23-08-2005 at 19:29. Reason: typo
jpest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2005, 17:19   #2
God Member

Re: Microsoft updates

Who 'informed' you that you needed this program to install updates? I am not aware of any add on needed to keep windows up to date. Perosanlly I reckon this could be a Trojan. i.e. a program that allows other access or can send your details 'home' to its creator. I would HIGHLY recommend not using any online banking/credit cards stuff unitil you ar eabsolkutely sure you have not been infected.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 01:18   #3
Junior Member+

I'd turn automatic updates off and just update say once a week .. download what microsoft say are " critical"
Kilin_Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 07:01   #4
God Member

Heh, or as Nat West say, there is another way
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 15:26   #5
Senior Member+

ok you Linux user, you!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 19:47   #6
Junior Member+

This sounds like one of two things.

Either:-

Windows Genuine Advantage validation which is a scheme to prevent illegal copies of XP from being able to download anything from Microsoft other than critical updates except through the Automatic Updates feature.

Or:-

Windows Installer 3.1 which is basically the latest version of the Automatic Updates feature and (according to Microsoft) allows for smaller downloads and faster installs.
pointdee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..