Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 20:23   #1
God Member

mozilla firefox or internet explorer?

which would you say was the best web browser?
i've just installed mozilla and i dont think i like it

any advice?
Old 10-12-2007, 20:35   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: mozilla firefox or internet explorer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
which would you say was the best web browser?
i've just installed mozilla and i dont think i like it

any advice?
The one that suits you, try as many as you can then decide for yourself, don't just go for one just because your peers say it's best!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 20:37   #3
God Member

well after what we where talking about earlier Les i mentioned it to Richard and he said try mozilla, i'm not liking it, i think its too slow, but i can only try can't i...i havent uninstalled internet explorer yet, i think i will do what you told me to do when i re-install the printer, not have any pages open and see how that affects it
Old 10-12-2007, 20:46   #4

Quote:
well after what we where talking about earlier Les i mentioned it to Richard and he said try mozilla, i'm not liking it, i think its too slow, but i can only try can't i...i havent uninstalled internet explorer yet, i think i will do what you told me to do when i re-install the printer, not have any pages open and see how that affects it
you don't have to un-install explorer, in fact some times if you are using firefox and click on a link, it still needs to open up in explorer, not because firefox, (mozilla), can't handle it, but because someone somewhere that originally put the article out there used a microsoft type web page that nothing else can use.

I use firefox, it has some problems, but I'm used to it and it is there, in other words if a new superdooper system came out I probably wouldn't change, because I'd have now learnt how to use that.

If you use explorer and it doesn't give you any problems why change?

(strange that, almost like me saying microsoft is wonderful).
Old 10-12-2007, 20:51   #5

Quote:
Just as an added extra, you asked for help on msn that's what I gave you, so that you could get what you are used to going, it's not up to me to then say, use this or use that, after I've helped it's to leave you ABLE to use your machine again, I might not like the programs you're using but they work for you so o.k. use them.

Old 10-12-2007, 21:01   #6
God Member

yes uncle Les
Old 10-12-2007, 21:03   #7
God Member

You could also try Opera. I prefer it to Firefox and other options ( I don't use Windows so IE isn't even an option for me.)

Opera browser: Home page

As Less says, try as many as you can find and use teh one that best fits how your brain is wired.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 21:31   #8
God Member

thanx Ian i'll give that a go tomorrow and see what i think of it
Old 10-12-2007, 21:38   #9
God Member

It has lots of nice features that I find useful,

Stuff like, Shade some text, right click and you can do a number of searches with that text, If its a URL(web Address) you can choose to go to it even if its not a hyperlink.

Install teh voice stuff and it will read any text you shade. Very usefull whenyou read technical stuff or even online books

Tabbed browsing works really well and each site gets its own set of preferences eg I can allow Accyweb to open pop ups but no others. or I can set lots of other settings all on a site by site basis.

It was teh first to do thumbnails of each tab you have open (just hover your mouse over an inactive tab

Mouse gestures are cool once you get used to them (although I tend to use keyboard shortcuts and its far more intuitive than either IE or firefox)

anyway, give it a fair crack, then decide if you like it or not

Oh and its the least hacked browser.

Old 13-12-2007, 22:16   #10
Resident Waffler

I like Firefox. I've got it set exactly how I like it, customised the colours and got the add-ons that I like. It's all down to personal preference really.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 07:30   #11
God Member

Absolutely Willow,

It quite scares me how many people use a piece of software and have never even looked into what alternatives there are (And this is across teh board, not just in Browsers)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..