Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-12-2005, 13:21   #1

Mp3s

Can anyone advice me on a good program for converting music to mp3s so that I can load them on my I pod A free one would be nice being Christmas an all.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-12-2005, 13:34   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Mp3s

windows media player does it
Old 22-12-2005, 13:36   #3
God Member

yeh go on options and select the 'rip music' tab.
then on the format bit jus click the arrow and change the rip format to mp3 and all the songs you rip off cd will be mp3 files.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 13:44   #4
Beacon of light

Yeah, Windows Media Player is really easy to use too!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 14:12   #5
God Member

Why not use iTunes to do it? That should have come with your iPod. Audiograbber is another good one for free. Personally I don't like Media player as it is a resource hog on your system.

Think long and hard about what format you want your music in. MP3 is a pretty much standard format although technically it isn't the best. iTunes uses AAC by default(Apples own standard) and Media player uses WMA by default. Your iPod may not play wma files likewise media player doesn't like AAC if I remember correctly. Then you get into Ogg Vorbis , FLAC and numerous other formats depending on what player(s) you want to use them on, your views on global domination and the tightness of your wallet.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 16:12   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Which is the best quality while still remaining a small file size?
Old 23-12-2005, 07:07   #7
God Member

Variable Bitrate MP3 is quite good as it adjusts teh sampling rate depending on the music. Ogg Vorbis is my personal favourite. I don't use wma probably because as most people know I don't use Windows as my Operating System. I can play it back via Mplayer and Xine which are clever enough to pick up the windows codec if you have dual boot or there is a package of codecs that you can install which covers pretty much anything you could ever throw at it.

A lot of 'best quality' is subjective. You may listen to one and 'prefer' the sound over another. I will hear it differently and prefer the other way round. Thats HiFi for you. We all hear differently and have preferences to what it should sound like. I sold top end HiFi for nearly three years and people always asked which is the best system/speaker etc. I used to tell them that you need to make up your own mind. Shut your eyes and listen hard. Then go with what your ears tell you. I don't ever recall having a dissatisfied customer.
Old 28-12-2005, 18:28   #8
God Member

Just downloaded a good one from here

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2005, 20:01   #9

Windows media player 10 or Real player both convert to mp3 , though real player seems to be better when sending them to your mp3 player.
Old 28-12-2005, 20:06   #10
God Member

Heh coincidentally to the last poster I use a program called GRIP under Linux with a choice of backend encoders.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..