Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 08:33   #1

VISTA usb pen memory

is it possible to have a USB pen i.e 1GB and use it as memory. if so how do i do it?
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2008, 09:03   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: VISTA usb pen memory

what operating system are you using ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:59   #3
God Member

heh, clues in the title mate

Not as memory in the RAM aspect. It can only be used as storage. Its not fast enough for use as machine RAM. Macine RAM is cheap enough though mate

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:49   #4
Resting in Peace

only on vista

Adding system memory (typically referred to as RAM) is often the best way to improve a PC's performance,
since more memory means more applications are ready to run without accessing the hard drive.
However, upgrading memory can be difficult and costly,
and some machines have limited memory expansion capabilities, making it impossible to add RAM.

Windows Vista introduces Windows ReadyBoost,
a new concept in adding memory to a system.
You can use non-volatile flash memory, such as that on a universal serial bus (USB) flash drive,
to improve performance without having to add additional memory "under the hood."

The flash memory device serves as an additional memory cache—that is,
memory that the computer can access much more quickly than it can access data on the hard drive.
Windows ReadyBoost relies on the intelligent memory management of Windows SuperFetch and can significantly
improve system responsiveness.

It's easy to use Windows ReadyBoost.
When a removable memory device such as a USB flash drive or a secure digital (SD) memory card
is first inserted into a port,
Windows Vista checks to see if its performance is fast enough to work with Windows ReadyBoost. If so,
you are asked if you want to use this device to speed up system performance.
You can choose to allocate part of a USB drive's memory to speed up performance.

There was an article a few weeks ago in computeractive telling you how to do it

Computeractive - simple clear computer advice

Last edited by Mick; 06-02-2008 at 10:54.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:17   #5
God Member

And if you read all teh 'tuning' guides it tells you to turn Readyboost off.............

All its doing is using it as a slightly faster swap file, nothing more. Its still not "System RAM" as its a magnitude of speed slower and in some cases may actually slow things down as windows will have to contend with two swap systems. It tries to use this as its primary swap but then has to do a full swap out to disk when it runs out on the mem stick. Its better to take the initial hit if its going to swap.

I'd advise to go no where near it.

Old 06-02-2008, 13:00   #6

Thanks for the info
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 15:43   #7
Resting in Peace

but you dont use vista and will not help anyone with vista questions
something wrong here entwisi
Old 06-02-2008, 19:33   #8
God Member

Mick volunteers for all Vista Q's

Makes note to do nowt in future

Old 06-02-2008, 20:42   #9

Readyboost works OK on vista but shouldnt be used to compensate for a lack of RAM. However if its on a laptop where RAM may be very expensive because of limited slots its an alternative. Just make sure the stick supports the throughput and its in a USB2 slot or else it may slow it down.

Vista to work properly (ie at the same speed as XP did) wants about 2GB, after that you dont see much improvement
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 20:51   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I agree with Ian here, it may be quicker to swap to USB stick than hard disk depending on your hard disk of course but, you would be better speed wise to add some real RAM. It sounds like a cheap way for non technical people to increase performance slightly to me. As far as using it on a laptop, sounds like a bad idea to me. Who wants a fragile USB stick hanging out of your laptop all the time.
Old 06-02-2008, 20:58   #11
God Member

Plus remember that flash ram has a finite number of write cycles and if used by cache type systems will be constantly writing to it the life of the usb stick will be significantly reduced.

Then you start getting issues with swamping teh usb bus. Who here uses usb modems for broadband, proibably quite a few, add the read/write cycles of readyboost to the data flowing from teh net and you soon will start hitting bandwidth causing it to run even slower as teh CPU has to start dealing with data sync problems.

Simple solution, buy more RAM!

To coin a saying, - " No one ever got sacked for buying too much RAM!"

Old 06-02-2008, 22:29   #12
I am Banned

Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

the above link will tell you how much memory you can safely install into your system without overdoing it - they suggest the size you need etc just choose the "Crucial System Scanner tool" i have had no probs with my computer since

maybe Neil or Entwisi or Mick could take a peek and tell you whether it gives good info etc

not saying buy from there but at least you will have an idea what to buy and how much -good luck
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:11   #13
Resting in Peace

I have used that on the other laptop to find type and how much the laptop would take .
i then went out and bought another 1gb ram for it
the shop i got it from wanted to fit it for me but also wanted to charge £35 to fit it i said i will manage ta
Old 07-02-2008, 06:52   #14
God Member

I always use crucial. They have a VERY good reputation and I've never known a problem with any RAM bought from there.

Their config tool works well but some manufacturers do tweak things making their website data wrong. e.g. my laptop came with 1 gig, the crucial sitel said it was 2x512 sticks. as lappys only have 2 slots I was preparing to have to junk/sell them and buy a 2 gig stick. The scanning tool said it was one stick, I checked physically and it was just one.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:44   #15
Resting in Peace

just tried it on this laptop and it says i have 2gb 1 gig in each slot but it will take upto 4 gb of ram so will have to save up.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..