Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Gaming Forum
Donate! Join Today

Gaming Forum Talk about the latest PS2, xbox or whatever systems and our own classics!!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2009, 15:08   #1
God Member

Xbox Live 360 grrrr

My son has just paid out £60 short of for the network adapter for his recently new xbox 360, we get it set up [as game said easy peasy] he does his avatar setup & then to windows live set up, then we think goodie parent controls.......................only then to be asked for credit card details....mmm [1] dont have one & 2] dont want to give them if i had paid enough for the xbox package & dongle as it is!!]

Now as far as im aware windows live messenger [which he has on pc already] is FREE & non of this mumbo on there to set his account up, he has his bronze free time with the package for live & wasnt told be further charges either unless wanting to upgrade to the live packages. Now not everyone has a credit card!!

Now have one unhappy son whom spent his hard earned savings on something bloody useless!! Im not one happy parent now - fuming would be the word!

He may aswell take the thing back & go back to his pc, xbox 360 is to my displeasure a rip off in the gaming market & if was such a prob it shouldnt be sold to U 18's!

Anyone else found this????

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2009, 16:05   #2
K-P

Re: Xbox Live 360 grrrr

sign up for xbox live and when you get to the point where it says sign up now choose no.. it will then give you a month for free... thats what we did

then you can get a years supply of gaming for 20 odd quid.. TM posted a link.. i think it was TM

but saying that.. i cant figure what you paid 60 quid for ?
Old 16-02-2009, 16:07   #3
Senior Member+

Go get a Ps3! free online gaming and built in wireless far better machine dont need a credit card if you want to buy from the playstation shop you can use a normal debit card! Just a better alround console. (our house thoughts anyway!) as we have both consoles.
Old 16-02-2009, 16:09   #4
Senior Member+

Sounds like they bought the wireless network adapter. You can buy a xbox live subscription from the net or in stores like game and gamestation in town.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 16:14   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
sign up for xbox live and when you get to the point where it says sign up now choose no.. it will then give you a month for free... thats what we did

then you can get a years supply of gaming for 20 odd quid.. TM posted a link.. i think it was TM

but saying that.. i cant figure what you paid 60 quid for ?
They paid £60 for the network adaptor so they can play wireless without ethernet cable. We had a right do with microsoft because after the free trial they automatically took the £40 from the credit card! after the first year we sold the stuff for the xbox didnt want to play online as got the ps3, so we didnt have the xbox connected to online any more then later we got a nice hefty bill from the credit card coz microsoft took the money from the card again even though we didnt use it didnt end up getting the money back so paid for a years subscription for nothing! and so on and so on (microsoft are a rip off!). Ahh rant over. x
Old 16-02-2009, 16:23   #6
God Member

Thanks mummiboo, sounds exactly what i feared, i presume because it didnt give me the options as kp stated - this was mearely because my son is u 18 & presumed needed a parent to control his activity, then to be asked for the credit card details immediately sends alarm signals, but only a percentage of adults do have a credit card certainly these days but should not be the only proof im an adult/parent. Im beginning to think its not been a wise descicion to get the xbox as ps3 seems to be more accessable - even a pc is with net connection.

£60 alone for the network adaptor - wireless, gee could get 2 wireless dongles for that price for a pc & yet can do more with it than is seemingly so than on the xbox. I wish he could swap for a ps3 think he would to but xbox was all could afford at the time & now he cant do nothing for this £60 he's just spent, now wishing he'd of gone with a game or 2...... i hate microsoft!

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Last edited by Stanleymad; 16-02-2009 at 16:27.
Old 16-02-2009, 16:54   #7
God Member

My daughter got a live pack from Game, it's like pay as you go, £15 for 3 months no card details.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 17:02   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redash View Post
My daughter got a live pack from Game, it's like pay as you go, £15 for 3 months no card details.
The issue is actually the parental control, not the subscription itself.

If you set a profile up and the user is a child it automatically makes you set up parental control. There way of checking if the person responsible for parental control is to ask for credit card details.

Out of curiosity, what is on x-box live that requires parental control ?
Old 16-02-2009, 17:25   #9
Senior Member+

problem solved....

1)make a live id thats over 18

2)sign up for a gamertag with the new id

3)buy a live card from a game shop

4)go to dashboard > profile > setting > subscription > live and press the button for redeem code

5) all done enjoy xbox live and realise it was all worth it in the end.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 17:27   #10
God Member

Thanks nickleson will try that & let u know if it worked

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 16-02-2009, 17:53   #11
God Member

Sorted thanks to nickleson karma on its way

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 16-02-2009, 18:26   #12

yep its the fact that the person is under 18 and seriously if u think ps3 is a serious alternative to xbox360 then ur havin a laugh, the online part may be free but it is no way as good as the xbox live, plus ps3 games are nearly £10 more per game.

rather than get the wireless adaptor u should of bought a set of homeplugs which would give u faster transfer rates then the wireless adaptor.
Old 16-02-2009, 18:28   #13
God Member

What are home plugs ???

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 16-02-2009, 18:29   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The issue is actually the parental control, not the subscription itself.

If you set a profile up and the user is a child it automatically makes you set up parental control. There way of checking if the person responsible for parental control is to ask for credit card details.

Out of curiosity, what is on x-box live that requires parental control ?
My Daughter has orange box, Team Fortress I think, it's just running around shooting the other team and pinching a briefcase.

I think that could need parental control for some parents, for me it's just a bit of fun.

I used to play Medal Of Honor online, a few years ago, both games seem similar.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 18:30   #15
K-P

ran a cable from wireless router to xbox here... sorry didnt realise you needed to buy summat if you wanted wireless... it is supposed to be the best online gaming experience.. i know the ps2 is next to usless esp for footy like pro evo.. in fact totally usless... i beleive the ps3 is just as bad.

for online gaming i think you got him the best console you could.. just a shocker at getting setup and online isnt it...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..