Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 17:46   #1
Senior Member+

Halifax Town FC R.I.P

Looks like its another sad day in the football world just come across this article.
Halifax Town drown in a sea of debt

Gutted: Town general manager Angie Firth looking tense after the outcome of Friday’s talks at the administrators’ offices

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryADVERTISEMENTPublished Date:
09 May 2008
By Dave Fletcher
HUGE tax debts have buried Halifax Town after almost 100 years as a football club.

Shock new figures put to a reconvened creditors meeting showed the cash-strapped Shaymen owed over £800,000 to the Inland Revenue.

The Revenue refused any deal and that effectively finished the club – already over £2 million in the red.

Administrators had been trying to broker a rescue package but speaking after five hours of talks that left liquidation near inevitable, administrator Rob Sadler said: "Halifax Town will probably perish."

It was originally thought the club – which narrowly clung on to its Blue Square Premier League status on the last day of the season last month – owed the taxman around £500,000. That was thought to leave scope for a deal.

But the news that it owed £814,000 meant that even if all the other creditors had accepted the 2.5p-in-the-pound offer originally on the table it would not have been enough.

Don't miss Saturday's Courier for the full story, plus more analysis and reaction.

The full article contains 182 words and appears in n/a newspaper.Page 1 of 1

Last Updated: 09 May 2008 5:27 PM
Source: n/a
Old 09-05-2008, 18:11   #2
God Member

Re: Halifax Town FC R.I.P

r.i.p. always sad when a club dies. just shows how good a job eric whalley is doing at stanley..
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 18:35   #3
God Member

Always feel sorry for the fans but in reality if these were normal businesses they would not get away with bad management and the amount of debts that football clubs get away with.
Old 09-05-2008, 21:58   #4
Super Moderator

Feel very sorry for them...been there, done it, got the T-shirt. I hope they start up again, but it's one heck of a long road back.
Old 10-05-2008, 00:42   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

a sad day indeed, used to go to Halifax wi me dad with the old Accrington Stanley, ground i remember was a dump,but they always had the best pies in the old Third Division North. plus the fans i remember being very hospitable.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:07   #6
God Member

very sad news indeed, enjoyed the visits to halifax

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:07   #7
Resting in Peace

When this happens it always reminds me of 1963 and Stanley and the reasons they went to the wall, bad management at board level and the fat man from Burnley. mind you its always the poor fans hat I feel sorry for
Old 18-05-2008, 08:38   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
mind you its always the poor fan's hat I feel sorry for
Those milliners have a lot to answer for.
Old 25-05-2008, 21:40   #9
God Member

Very sad for football as a whole, this sort of thing is still a rarity but I fear may happen more in the future.
The rules brought in by the FL don't help things much either.. I mean point deductions from teams already in trouble.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..