Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2004, 21:19   #16
I am Band

Re: Church Cricket Club

Here is the info you have been waiting for. Church continue to fly the flag for Hyndburn:

Church extend lead

Church professional Ruwin Peiris hit 72 in his sides 30 run win at Burnley

Church extended their lead at the top of the Lancashire League table with a 30 run win at Burnley in one of only two matches to be played due to rain.
Professional Ruwin Peiris laid the foundations for the victory at Turf Moor by hitting 72 out of his sides 163-8 in a match reduced to 26 overs a side after mopping up operations allowed the match to start just before 4.30pm. The Sri Lankan hit five boundaries and three sixes before being bowled by Steven Holden. Mark Aspin also hit 40 in a 2nd wicket stand of 65 with his professional, who then went on to dominate the rest of the innings with no other batsman making double figures as Church chased the runs. Gareth Halley (3-31) and professional Kerry Jeremy (3-73) took three wickets each for Burnley. Needing nearly seven runs an over for victory, the home side made a slow start in reply with openers Daniel Pickup and Michael Kelly unable to penetrate the field with any regularity. Pickup was first out for 20 with the score on 38, stumped by Sam Tucker off Andrew Bentley. Jonathan Clare was then run out going for a suicidal second run off his first ball. Kelly and skipper Ben Law put on 59 for the 3rd wicket but Peiris dismissed them both. Kelly hit five fours and a six in making 46 and Law hit two fours and two sixes in his 48 as Burnley were never able to match the league leaders' run rate, but they picked up three batting points in scoring 133-7. Peiris finished with 3-28.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2004, 21:23   #17
Member.

Thank you very much for that Sparks, Brightens the day up bit. Excellent.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2004, 21:54   #18
I am Band

If you ever want to find out up to date info about lancashire league cricket, peruse this site, it's really good and updates very quickly at weekend. A big thumbs up to the folks that run it

http://lancashireleague.com/

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2004, 21:57   #19
Member.

Will do, Cheers.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 16:59   #20
God Member

This is marvellous stuff from Church;well done lads - we're going all the way.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 07:22   #21
Super Moderator

Talking of sporting achievements from Church, let's not forget Church FC. They actually reached the quarter-final of the FA Cup in in 1885 before being beaten 1-0 by Old Carthusians.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 11:01   #22

Talking of cricket, when we were over in Baxenden recently we had arranged to meet an old schoolgirl friend of mine with whom I had managed to get in touch through the St. John's (Bash) church website. She was my first 'love' when I was 6 years old and I hadn't seen her for fifty years. We met her and her husband at the church for lunch and it turns out that her husband used to play for Accrington and was in the team when they won some shield or other. Excuse my ignorance I do not know which shield it was. He will be in his early sixties now I would think. His name is Jim Eland and from what I can gather he was quite a player in his day. Any of his old team-mates on this site?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 11:49   #23
Senior Member+

i play cricket from oswaldtwistle immaneul cricket clubt hey are doing good
MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 20:29   #24
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I heard a rumour today that Haslingden watered the wicket so there could be no result in what was being billed as the title decider, both teams got three points for a draw leaving Church three points behind with only a couple of games to go.
I didn't believe this but when you look at all the other games this weekend played to a finish it does make you wonder if a bit of alleged doctoring of the pitch, (cheating some may say), did occur.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 13:09   #25
God Member

We heard the same story. Apparently Church wanted to go ahead and play the match; Haslingden said no, the umpires were called in & they said no to the match. Not very nice, is it?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 13:59   #26

The above situation is one of the main reasons why I cant get into Cricket that much. It just seems like such a farce that a match cant be played because of the weather/condition of the pitch - where is the sport in spending four days playing yourself into a position from where you can easily win on the fifth day only to have it taken away from you by a bit of drizzle? I know that Lancashire League is a one-day format so why not just play the match when conditions are better?
Old 22-09-2004, 13:32   #27
Resting in peace

Cricket and Lancashire are inseparable. I have always loved cricket (you may say that I had no choice from my earliest years, my name being Pendergast). It is a game with science and subtlety, and we can be so proud of having such great local teams. My mother's best friend is 84 now, and never misses a Church match if she can help it. I'm cheering for Church, and of course for Lancashire!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2005, 09:27   #28
Senior Member+

i play for haslingden!! We are going to retain our league title and hopefully win worsely cup...

church were knoced out of the cup yesterday by Norden very convincingly! 10 wickets!

Accrington through to the next round by defeating walsden by three wickets..

official league site is www.lancashireleague.com fixtures, results, squads, tables etc.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..