Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging
Donate! Join Today

Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging We're not claiming to be experts here but there is nothing wrong with a bit of user to user help!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 21:32   #1
Member.

Look to change my Digital Camera?

I’m looking to replace my digital camera; I currently use a Sony DSC-S85 Cyber-shot which is getting a little worn. I can’t make my mind up between A Sony DSC-V3 and the Canon Powershot G6. I like the idea of the G6 because of its versatility but have never used Canon’s before. Maybe someone may have used these cameras or have used something better? Any help/advise would be welcomed……..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2005, 21:36   #2
God Member

Re: Look to change my Digital Camera?

I've just actually purchased my first digi cam. It's a mid range one but I like the fact it has an inbuilt help guide, hee hee

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 21:41   #3
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
I've just actually purchased my first digi cam. It's a mid range one but I like the fact it has an inbuilt help guide, hee hee
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots in the gallery Harwood.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-08-2005, 21:42   #4
God Member

hey thats going a bit far, still learning how to use it, but it looks nice (oooo that must be the first girly thing I've ever said!).

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 22:10   #5
Resident Waffler

I'm a Canon fan but I prefer the EOS range. I tend to have a little "point and shoot" Praktica (6Mp) which I take almost everywhere with me because it fits in a pocket. (So how come I forgot to take it with me to the Mela? I'd been using it earlier nd it was still next to my computer desk! Grrr.)

Anyway, in spite of what I just said about being a Canon fan out of the two you name there I think I would go for the Sony but have you looked at the lens options?

I'm sure Mick will have some serious opinions on the subject as he's a rather good photographer. One of these days I may bring a decent camera with me to an AccyWeb meeting.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 22:25   #6
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Doug I'm a Canon user I have a Canon Powershot A95, excellent camera would recommend to anyone.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 22:36   #7
Resident Waffler

It all depends on what you are actually looking for in a camera. Do you want a lot of manual control over what it does? Do you want to be able to change lenses? Do you want it to be able to shoot in RAW format?

If I were you Doug I would list down all my reasons for wanting a new camera and then see which one best fits that bill.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 22:41   #8
God Member

ooo willow and there was me picking mine cos it had an in-built manual and looked nice!!! Although it does have 6.1 mp

Old 07-08-2005, 22:48   #9
Member.

Cheers folks…I’m not sure what to do at the moment. Neither of them is cheap and it’s going to get a bit of rough treatment with the hill walking etc, but I need a camera that can deal with the extremes of cold, rain, snow and heat. I sat on the top of Helvellyn back in May this year and even though it was a nice warm day the course wind on the summit took out the battery within minutes of putting it down. Fortunately I had most of the shots I wanted including the one that proved I got up there. I like the Sony, but the flash range available for the G6 is tempting….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-08-2005, 22:50   #10
God Member

wats the average amount of megapixels or wat gives a reasonalable picture cause im looking at the moment for a new camera but dont want to spend loads of cash
Old 07-08-2005, 23:00   #11
Member.

I use to do quite a bit of work with 35mm Nikons, I had a brace of F90s an F801 and a F3 with all the singing and dancing bits that made them viable for small format wedding work. I got shut of them when I give it up because of the weight. I got the Sony for personal use and never used it for months, obviously the financial savings of have a Digital Camera for fun and family use is brilliant, but I want to take decent landscapes in the Lakes and Dales as a record of fell and hill walking trips, Air shows and the like…..

P.S. I have a load of backgrounds, Reflectors and Stands etc. All Lastolite and a O55 Manfrotto tripod with a 229 pro head for sale any use to anyone?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-08-2005, 23:05   #12
Member.

John, the Sony I have at the moment is a 4.1 Mega pixel and it’s not that bad really. The ones I'm looking at are 7.1 mega pixel in the region of £400.OO. Samsung do a reasonable 6.1 mega pixel for about £150 ish......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-08-2005, 23:45   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Air shows and the like…..

The air show pics I took were on a Sony DSC-P71 .......... I think he he he ........... I can't fault it the pics are always crystal clear and it's easy to use
Old 07-08-2005, 23:58   #14
Member.

They were good pictures tinks.......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-08-2005, 01:20   #15
land of hope and glory

what do you use in the bedroom tinks.........they are good quality as well!got a fuji finepix top camera just point and shoot ,take a good piccie and easy to follow with the software....thats what mick uses!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..