Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music, Bands, Noise! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f92/)
-   -   Cover Versions (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f92/cover-versions-25840.html)

cashman 14-11-2006 23:55

Re: Cover Versions

normally DETEST cover versions, though must admit i prefer Brian Poole@tremeloes version of Do You Love Me to the original by the Contours.

Wynonie Harris 15-11-2006 05:26

Elvis Presley - Mystery Train beats the original by Little Junior Parker. And if you don't believe me, I want you all to go to your record collections, select these two platters (taking care not to touch the microgroove playing surfaces) and play them on your dansette record player, then you'll see what I mean!

cashman 15-11-2006 22:28

probably the greatest of all the remakes was unchained melody 1965 righteous brothers, there was 3 versions in the 1955 chart, jimmy young, al hibbler,and another whose name escapes me at the moment, they were all absolute crap in comparison.

Wynonie Harris 16-11-2006 05:26

Nice choice, Mr C, the Righteous Brothers' cover always makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. There were two other versions in 1955, Les Baxter whose version reached number 10 and Liberace who hit the number 20 spot.

Mancie 16-11-2006 06:21

Just looking at the tunes on my comp and could only think of soft cell's cover of gloria jones tainted love, Its very rare for a cover to match up to the original.
Was gerry and the pacemakers "you'll never walk alone" a cover?.. great song, but Liverpool fans sing it every week and so its banned in my house!

WillowTheWhisp 16-11-2006 08:10

Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer"

Tinks - what's the M word? ;)

spud 16-11-2006 17:43

Vic Reeves and the wonderstuff with DIZZY!!

garinda 16-11-2006 17:52

Who remembers those LPs before Now That's What I Call Music?

They were compilation albums you could buy in the 70's?

Dolly bird in hotpants on the front cover, and all the biggest hits of the day sung by backing singers...badly.

God, they were awful.

I had one for the bargain price of £1.99 from Woolies in Accy, which had Night Fever and Mull of Kintyre on it.:D

cashman 16-11-2006 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Nice choice, Mr C, the Righteous Brothers' cover always makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. There were two other versions in 1955, Les Baxter whose version reached number 10 and Liberace who hit the number 20 spot.

yeh les baxter was who i couldn,t remember wyn, knew about the other but find it very hard to say his name,as i worship the ground hes buried under.;)

grannyclaret 16-11-2006 23:12

Lovely treacle voiced Ollie Austin does a version of Late in the evening.i think it was either Eddie Cockran or Chuck Berry ,, anyway its brilliant

Lolly 16-11-2006 23:37

I like the Scissor Sisters version of Comfortably Numb, but also really like the original Pink Floyd version, They are very different and fantastic in there own genres.

Tinkerbelle 16-11-2006 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

Tinks - what's the M word? ;)

:unsure8: Shall I? :rolleyz8: Have I to say it once just to drive her mad? :w00t: Your going to get me in trouble Willow :icon_hump

Sparkologist 19-11-2006 11:44

The Neville Brothers version Sam Cooke's, "A Change is Gonna Come", beats the original hands down. Daniel Lanois' production & arrangment of this track brought out the best of Aaron Nevilles voice.

It could be sacrilege to say this, but I reckon it is better than Otis Reddings cover of this track.

maxwell silver 19-11-2006 14:49

Another one i forgot about is George Faiths version of In The Midnight Hour.Off the album To Be A Lover.Classic dub/reggea.

stanerlee 19-11-2006 17:59

i see shaker has come up with a top choice again with "Hurt" covered by Johnny Cash .
the video to that is worth a thread of it's own......it makes me cry every time i see it.