Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2004, 22:38   #31

Re: Accrington Poets.

Is that 'picture' as in 'illustration' or 'picture' as in 'photograph of the author'?
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-10-2004, 07:54   #32
God Member

I suppose it could be either, or both. But I think that Kestrelx was meaning that the competition could be widened to include the work of local photographers. I suppose that could include line drawings too! There are quite a few local artists of note who could be comemorated by an art competition. I wonder if we could persuade the Camera Club and Garth Dawson to take an interest?
Old 24-10-2004, 17:38   #33
Resident Waffler

That sounds like a good idea. Photography and poetry. Perhaps artwork and short stories.

It's beginning to sound like the old "Accrington Miscellany"

Or are we drifting too far from what kestrelx had in mind?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 14:26   #34
Senior Member+

Hi folks,sorry for the delay,use the library internet so havn't been online since last Saturday.Yeh it could be a mix of photos and drawings,but any images would relate to the poetry subject matter.For example with the "Ghosts of Peel Park" piece you could have a photo of the school perhaps,could either be old or new,it all depends!? I suppose the point is to create something that gives a view of what Accrington is like old and new to at tourist or someone who ain't been to the area!

Yeh Garth Dawson could be a potential backer,would need a publisher? I don't know who else?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 16:49   #35
Resident Waffler

Sounds like a great idea.

Old 29-10-2004, 09:34   #36
Super Moderator

Yeah, good idea but for my poem I would've thought a scene from a Stanley match at Peel Park would be better, as that's what it's all about.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2004, 15:41   #37
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Accrington Poets.

Cheers Willow,well Wynonie that is not what was invoked in my head about your poem - which just goes to show how art is in the eye or in this case ear of the beholder ; there is no mention on football in your poem.

May be a good idea but how's it going to happen?

Couple of ideas on where to get some backing...

1) The Lottery Fund.

2) The Arts Council.

Anyway is there enough poetry to go round etc?

Who is going to organise it all?

But anyone really interested may like to think about approaching the Observer or Telegraph to get some more poetry and some publicity,could start the thing off as a compettion as was suggested and then turn that into a book and so on.:engsmil:

Cheers.

Last edited by kestrelx; 30-10-2004 at 15:46.
Old 30-10-2004, 16:15   #38
Resident Waffler

Yes Wynonie I definitely saw the image of the old Stanley ground on a cold dark wintery day with the floodlights shining into the crisp air and the roaring crowd of supporters as Stanley scored, stamping their feet to keep warm, and their breath visible as they blow into cupped hands to try to stop their fingers freezing. Perhaps that's because I can remember the days when the old football ground was up there and there would be crowds pouring down the streets after the match.

Old 02-11-2004, 17:22   #39
Senior Member+

I recall the ground when it was derelict we used to play in the stands,then it got burnt down!But there is no mention of footie in your poem that I recall as I used to live in the area I just assumed it was about the past ha ha ha .................................or it could be prophetically about John Peel?
Old 02-11-2004, 21:12   #40
Resident Waffler

The "roar" of the crowd, the clamouring voices, the phantom floodlights and the name Peel Park (it was the Peel Park ground where Stanley played at the foot of the Coppice.) - didn't really need the word football. The image was there.

Old 03-11-2004, 14:18   #41
Senior Member+

Yeh yeh I just read it again in the light of your post - and I can see your point Willow but it only hints at the subject of football in my view it did conjure up other meaning to me.I think the word Ghosts just conjured up a supernatural theme which cancelled out any link with Soccer.
Old 03-11-2004, 14:29   #42
Resident Waffler

Maybe you have to be my age and have lived in one of those streets leading down from the old ground. lol I think the ghosts in question are the ghosts of the old players and fans who were at the old ground. My what a fascinating topic this has become.

Old 03-11-2004, 14:50   #43
Senior Member+

Yeh yeh I understand that the ghosts are the players of the old team - but it shows how we all percieve things in different ways, for example I saw it as Ghosts from yesteryears and totally missed the football references,albeit subtle to say the least,and conjured up other impressions! Now if the line "blown a whistle!" was in it may have clicked straight away!:engsmil:
Old 04-11-2004, 07:43   #44
Super Moderator

I must admit I never imagined that anyone would see the poem as being about anything else but Stanley. But I suppose you've got to be a little football-minded (or have lived near the old ground like Willow) to pick up on the subject matter.

Yes, the ghosts are the players who played on "the field of dreams" and the many thousands of fans who cheered them on...in particular my dad, Fred Pilkington, who was a dedicated Peel Parker and whose ashes are now scattered on the old ground.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:21   #45
Senior Member+

Well all that I recall is the old derelict Stanley Grounds that got burnt down,next to Peel Park and then you have the Peel Park pub,maybe they'll change it to the John Peel Park Pub?

Nope I did not think of football when I read it....

Anyway what level did Accrington Stanley play at back in the 30's was it Second Division?I don't know?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..