Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2012, 10:57   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Amy Winehouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I like the way the article describes her father as "grieving" -I've seen him interviewed several times since her death and he looked like he was enjoying every minute while basking in her reflected limelight!

Whether JPG really was making a tribute to her style or was just trying to cash in on her image I can't tell. I don't know if they were friends or if he ever did any work for her. Only his conscience can give an answer to that question.
Yeh I still think there was a dodgy relationship there but will never know now.

Apparently they never met!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-01-2012, 17:52   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I like the way the article describes her father as "grieving" -I've seen him interviewed several times since her death and he looked like he was enjoying every minute while basking in her reflected limelight!

Whether JPG really was making a tribute to her style or was just trying to cash in on her image I can't tell. I don't know if they were friends or if he ever did any work for her. Only his conscience can give an answer to that question.
She made the look her own, but didn't actually invent the beehive, or the trailer park trash look.

The same style would have been created if Priscilla Presley had starred in Rus Mayer's Run Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 19:17   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
She made the look her own, but didn't actually invent the beehive, or the trailer park trash look.

The same style would have been created if Priscilla Presley had starred in Rus Mayer's Run Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Just had to Google that film -didn't know it. Sounds interesting, might be able to identify with thrill seeking go-go dancers

Bit like a 1960's prequel of Tarantino's "Grindhouse"....?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 19:45   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Just had to Google that film -didn't know it. Sounds interesting, might be able to identify with thrill seeking go-go dancers

Bit like a 1960's prequel of Tarantino's "Grindhouse"....?
The King of Rock 'n' Roll's bride.

Priscilla, Queen of the Beehive.

Russ Meyer, King of Skanky-Kitsch.

Voila!

Amy.

(Winehouse. Not Turtle.)

Old 31-01-2012, 21:58   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

There were loads of birds with the beehive back in the 70's early 80's round Camden! But Prescilla is a good candidate!

Then there was Mari Wilson

Last edited by kestrelx; 31-01-2012 at 22:01.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 22:08   #36

Dusty Springfield also had a good head of hair.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 22:26   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Dusty Springfield also had a good head of hair.
So her girlfriends said.
Old 31-01-2012, 23:11   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
So her girlfriends said.
No beating around the bush there then
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 23:37   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
There were loads of birds with the beehive back in the 70's early 80's round Camden! But Prescilla is a good candidate!
It's true, Winehouse simply adopted the beehive.

Though she was fairly unique, in combining it with heroin hillbilly chic.

Most, like Mari Wilson, were retrospective, in that they aped the girly sixties back combing maniacs.

The girls in the B52's, in deepest Georgia, spent the seventies with masses of hair piled on their bonces, but had a harder look.

In the early eighties I was playing with the bad girl biker look. Design wise. Not myself. Depending on the year, I was either wearing fifties curtains, or sporting the look of a thirties matelot.

Though caring about the environment I was making behives worn as hats, made out of faux fur.

Which could be chucked off at the end of the night, instead of being gently wrapped in net headscarves, before being carefully propped up between two pillows, whilst the hair hopper tried to sleep.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..