Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2005, 12:52   #346
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Cool Re: What song/music/muzak are you listening to right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Henry, two weeks ago today, I was standing in the very room that used to be the Chess recording studio - 2120 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago. I could feel the hairs stand up on the back of my neck as the ghosts of Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter and many more echoed round the room. Seems like a dream now...
same thing happened to me in the sun studios in memphis wynonie,still same equipment from 1956 and still in use,was a very moving thing.
Old 28-06-2005, 14:14   #347
Super Moderator

Re: What song/music/muzak are you listening to right now?

Memphis! That's where I want to go next! Sun studios AND the rebuilt Stax studios to visit! Must have a serious word with Mrs H.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 23:23   #348
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Henry, two weeks ago today, I was standing in the very room that used to be the Chess recording studio - 2120 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago. I could feel the hairs stand up on the back of my neck as the ghosts of Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter and many more echoed round the room. Seems like a dream now...
FANTASTIC ! That must have been some experience ! I never visited the studio , and I admit that I didn't know where it was.

When I first went to Chicago for a music trade show, 25 years ago , I took a Gray Line tour to get familiar with the city's history. When we were on State Street the driver pointed out some bullet holes in the wall (where John Dillinger was killed by the FBI) and said that the nearby , down some steps , was a great old blues club where all the "greats" had played.

He listed those names which you mention, and others including Champion Jack Dupree.
I told him that Jack had lived in Halifax for some years with his Yorkshire-born wife , and we often got together for a jam-session and a few drinks (Jack loved Black Velvet - Guinness and Champagne - but he'd settle for a whiskey anytime.)
The driver just wouldn't believe me !

In the Westin Hotel, N.Michigan Ave , I met up with a few musos from Essex , including Dave Roberts who was the UK's demonstrator for Gibson guitars. Dave asked me if I liked BB King , and of course I replied in the affirmative. "Well", continued Dave, "Turn round and I'll introduce you to him". The blues guitar legend had been sitting at the next table ! I was totally awestruck, but he was a really friendly man. Dave asked him "Will you be bringing Lucille with you tomorrow ?", to which Mr. King answered "I don't think so because of insurance problems". I wondered who this mysterious woman was , but of course they were referring to his fabulous Gibson ES Semi-Acoustic Electric Guitar !

Lots more stories from Chicago, but another day perhaps. Happy memories !

P.S. I love a lot of music which has been produced more recently . . . just listening to U2's "City of Blinding Light". Brilliant.
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 08:35   #349
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Morton
He listed those names which you mention, and others including Champion Jack Dupree.I told him that Jack had lived in Halifax for some years with his Yorkshire-born wife , and we often got together for a jam-session and a few drinks (Jack loved Black Velvet - Guinness and Champagne - but he'd settle for a whiskey anytime.)
The driver just wouldn't believe me !
Champion Jack's been one of my favourites ever since I saw him in 1969 at Accrington Stanley Sportsman's Club (or the Jazz Club, to give it its informal name). I always thought it was fantastic that one of the blues greats should be living in Halifax.

Nice story about B.B. King, too. Thanks for that, Henry.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 19:42   #350

Richmond fontaine - post to wire
Old 30-06-2005, 23:10   #351
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

of great interest was the chat between henry @wynonie, i never knew champion jack dupree lived in halifax, once bumped into p.j.proby when he lived in haworth,that must have been mid-late 80s.
Old 30-06-2005, 23:43   #352

now listening to mark kozelek live at nottinham (my recrording)
Old 01-07-2005, 22:04   #353
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Morton
FANTASTIC ! That must have been some experience ! I never visited the studio , and I admit that I didn't know where it was.

P.S. I love a lot of music which has been produced more recently . . . just listening to U2's "City of Blinding Light". Brilliant.
11.00PM, Fri 1st July,

I've just heard on Martin Kelner's show (BBC Leeds, Sheffield, York and on the Net) that Bill Bailey has already recorded a spoof version of the U2 number, and it will be on the prog soon tonight !!
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:50   #354
Senior Member+

Listening to at the mo:

Oasis- Dont Believe The Truth(album)
Oasis- Whats the story morning glory(album)
Kaiser Chiefs- Employment(album)
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 18:06   #355
Senior Member+

Talking Re: What song/music/muzak are you listening to right now?

The Who ...Who Are You ...CSI Theme Tune !
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 21:10   #356
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

just been chilling after our journey to dean martin.
Old 04-07-2005, 00:28   #357

MDC - Millions of dead cops
Old 04-07-2005, 20:14   #358

It's been the Manic Street Preachers today.
Old 04-07-2005, 20:17   #359
God Member

NOT listening to anything at the moment

Miracles do happen!!

Last edited by slinky; 31-07-2005 at 23:35.
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 22:09   #360
I am Banned

Thats fantastic keep it up , dont ever stop listening , even better when u really listen to the words. They mean so much some times.
naughtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..