Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 19:45   #61
God Member

Exclamation Re: 1st Pre season traning

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Quite how we have kept Murphy and Lindfield and let Turner and Putterill go really is beyond me to be honest.

Obviously Ray needs to prove his fitness, but im sure a full pre-season he would have done it.
It is not all about football!!!!!!!!!!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-07-2011, 19:48   #62
God Member

Re: 1st Pre season traning

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Turner finding his level?! Do me a favour.
Spot on Smudgie, he is way better than that, if it was not for "Friends and Family" things would have been different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 20:46   #63
Senior Member+

Have to agree with oldgobbin this time regarding Chris Turner.
He has ability,but so do hundreds of other lads trying to get into league football.
Watching over the last two years,he doesnt seemed to have progressed.
You could argue hes not had the opportunity,but to force your way back into the team,you have to at least be the best player on the pitch when playing for the reserves,all the games ive watched,he wasnt.
I am always rooting for young lads to do well,but you need desire and a good attitude to do well and no more so in Colemans teams.
I believe hes a great lad,maybe he needs to be more focused on what he wants and go 100% for it.
Regarding Putterall,at the end of the season,he looked a stone heavier than at the start,that answers a few questions and JC was right to question his fitness and condition ( his ability is not in question).
Murphy is a central midfielder(proccy type),but on here he gets judged when playing out of position,I will sit on fence till he has a run in his favoured position.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 21:00   #64

[quote=football19;916252]Have to agree with oldgobbin this time regarding Chris Turner.
Watching over the last two years,he doesnt seemed to have progressed.
You could argue hes not had the opportunity,but to force your way back into the team,you have to at least be the best player on the pitch when playing for the reserves,all the games ive watched,he wasnt.

Last edited by new red; 02-07-2011 at 21:07.
new red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 21:07   #65

Disagree with you he came on in the Burton game and made an immediate impact and in the game against Doncater should Turner not have come on we wouldnt have got through to play Newcastle. He was proving he was good enough but it counted for nowt he still didnt get the start he deserved.He wasnt given the opportunities that others got simple as. Good luck to yhe lad whoever he plays for.
Old 02-07-2011, 21:52   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Murphy is a central midfielder(proccy type)
Now that really is a worry. There are certain requirements for all footballers, but especially someone in central midfield. These include (a) the ability to win the ball in a tackle; (b) the ability to head the ball; (c) the ability to pass to a colleague; (d) the ability to find space to receive a pass; (e) speed and athleticism.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 21:57   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as far as i'm concerned Turners face didn't fit, especially wi his heritage,is my opinion.
Old 02-07-2011, 22:25   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Now that really is a worry. There are certain requirements for all footballers, but especially someone in central midfield. These include (a) the ability to win the ball in a tackle; (b) the ability to head the ball; (c) the ability to pass to a colleague; (d) the ability to find space to receive a pass; (e) speed and athleticism.
Well said and very true
Old 03-07-2011, 07:42   #69
God Member

Murphy played a few games in holding midfield alongside Jonny Flynn at the back end of the 09/10 season. For what it's worth I thought he played fairly well in these games. I don't think he'll get a run in central midfield this season as we have Procter, Joyce and Craney signed up, hopefully with Barnett and McConville filling the wide roles. I don't think Murphy will offer strong competition for a starting place but he's adequate (and cheap) cover.

Posted via Mobile Device
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58   #70
Senior Member+

Agreed Shaker,Also hes still only a young lad.
Technically,he looks ok,he just has to work on his basic speed/pace,which is probably why he struggled when up against a quick winger.
Then again ,Proccy playing at fullback may have the same problems
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 20:00   #71
God Member

I see Adam Rundle has become available. Could think of worse players to give a trial to!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 20:02   #72
Senior Member+

murphy is a decent player, once he develops physically he will be able to hold his own in league 2 and progress onwards
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 21:29   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
murphy is a decent player, once he develops physically he will be able to hold his own in league 2 and progress onwards
i can go wi that, its a shame the reserves have ceased......understand the reason, but think they did help develop.
Old 04-07-2011, 21:49   #74
Full Member+

Quite agree about Murphy. I think he gets a lot of undeserved "stick" on here. He's not a world beater but, given time and encouragement,which I'm sure he'll get from John and Jimmy, he could develop into a very useful League 2 player. I really hope he does it with Stanley!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..