Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2011, 11:50   #1
Resting in Peace

2 up front

With Exodus Geogaghan now due to play for the Daggers, surely it is time to go 2 up front on Saturday? He will gobble up any high balls, and we'll have improve our defending of corners from last Saturday. 1 up front has failed lamentably for us this season.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-11-2011, 15:27   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 2 up front

Well i aint a fan of 1 striker, but must concede it can be effective,if yeh got players to complement the system, had me doubts last season,but this term we certainly aint got the players to do so,imho.
Old 22-11-2011, 18:11   #3
God Member

I'd agree with playing two strikers and opening up the midfield as we're simply not making enough chances in front of goal. I'd like to see something like the following against Daggers:

Dunbavin
Coid Hessey Long Winnard
Lindfield Procter Joyce Amond
Evans Stockley
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 18:16   #4
Senior Member+

wot no Charlie?
Old 22-11-2011, 18:28   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I'd agree with playing two strikers and opening up the midfield as we're simply not making enough chances in front of goal. I'd like to see something like the following against Daggers:

Dunbavin
Coid Hessey Long Winnard
Lindfield Procter Joyce Amond

Evans Stockley
Good man! I would go with that, especially Coid at full back, where he belongs.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 21:21   #6
Senior Member+

I have my doubts about Evans. He looked lost for much of the game on Saturday. I would either put Kurtis Guthrie alongside Jayden Stockley - we need height and speed up front especially against the Daggers. Alternatively put Craig Lindfield there with Charlie going to the right of midfield in your team.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 21:24   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige b View Post
wot no Charlie?
Not in a 4-4-2, no. I think he's a good player but only effective in the centre of midfield, where in my opinion Procter & Joyce make the best combination.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 21:33   #8
Senior Member+

Coid,when fit,should play,and i wouldnt move mcintyre either.
So its just wheither coidy still has the pace to cope with one on ones,if there is a slight doubt i would have him in midfield (defensive) and try and dominate the tempo of the game.
I would try 4-1-3-2 going dunbavin,
deano longy hessey mcintyre
coid
joyce hughes proccy
stockley micah
give micah the licence to roam and work the channels.
Its hard not to find a place for Charlie as hes one of our best players!!!!,
who would be a manager
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 22:09   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

For my money Barnett must play, i reckon with more experience the lads got the potential to gain a higher sell on fee than jimmy, if he carries on developing.
Old 22-11-2011, 22:09   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
give micah the licence to roam and work the channels.
Sorry - I don't know what this means. Is it what he was doing on Saturday?
Old 23-11-2011, 11:49   #11
Senior Member+

RR basically he floats around in the last third and plays "around" stockley.
As he wont have a set role/position,it would be difficult for him to be picked up(similar to how alan judge played for notts county against us).
Old 23-11-2011, 12:22   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
With Exodus Geogaghan now due to play for the Daggers, surely it is time to go 2 up front on Saturday? He will gobble up any high balls, and we'll have improve our defending of corners from last Saturday. 1 up front has failed lamentably for us this season.
Exodus Geogaghon was rubbish when he played for Port Vale against us last season. He is on loan at Daggers from Darlington in the Conference. The only asset he has is his long throw which he used well against us when he was on loan at Rotherham
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 13:46   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
RR basically he floats around in the last third and plays "around" stockley.
As he wont have a set role/position,it would be difficult for him to be picked up.
To be picked up by the opposition - and, logically, by Stanley players wishing to pass to him. So if Stanley players don't know where he is going to be, they will seek to pass to someone else. And Evans therefore plays the non-role that he played at Macclesfield.
Old 23-11-2011, 18:18   #14
Senior Member+

RR , I didnt he did that badly on saturday,he was just forced to play deeper than hes probably use to.(bit of credit to macc there).
If we can get him on the ball/in space in the final third I believe he will be a tremendous assist,no substitute for blistering pace,and he has that.
Old 23-11-2011, 18:49   #15
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Exodus Geogaghon was rubbish when he played for Port Vale against us last season. He is on loan at Daggers from Darlington in the Conference. The only asset he has is his long throw which he used well against us when he was on loan at Rotherham
Jeff....You're basing the first part of your statement on a game he played for Vale when he was at odds with the fans ( seem to remember he had a run in with Vale's travelling fans at the end of that game; and had to be physically restrained from going in the away end to kick off with the folk who were giving him abuse ) and playing for a manager who was exactly flavour of the month !!! Maybe his mindset wasn't right when he played in that game ???

And as for the second part of the statement....as in "The Only asset"...Well I seem to remember from the Rotherham game that Geogaghon was a colossus at the heart of the Miller's defence that day. Dominated in the air (in both areas) and popped up in our area at the death in that game to head the winner.

I know Coley is an admirer of Exodus and he's a big solid unit !!! I wasn't aware that he'd ended up at Darlo, via his various stays on loan whilst he was a Posh player and I sure as hell wouldn't have been against him wearing Stanley red....so with that in mind and bearing in mind the fact ( In my opinion) we don't make enough chances with one up top...I agree...for me it's two up top against the Daggers.

Which two is open for debate, but giving their defence an extra problem to deal with is a must for me in this Saturday's game

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..