Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30   #1

Talking 2012/13 Season Review

For those of you who don’t have the benefit of a DeLorean like me, here is my review of the 2012/13 season…….

August

Drama unfolds at the first game of the season when Rotherham Manager Steve Evans almost chokes to death on a Meat & Potato In the dug-out. His life is only saved by quick thinking Stanley Physio Les Parry, who with the help of several stewards performs the Heimlich Manoeuvre. He manages to polish off the remaining six pies without further incident.

September

Paul Cook receives the Manager of the Month Award for August after Four straight League Two wins and a 4-0 Carling Cup Victory over Preston North End in what proved to be Graham Westley’s last game before being sacked.

October

Accrington Stanley announce they are to play at the renamed Sir Ilyas Khan Stadium after their former Chairman was knighted in the Queens Jubilee Honours List.

November

Three further League Two wins leave Stanley 6 points clear at the top of the table and into the 2nd round of the FA Cup after a 6-0 demolition of Barrow in the 1st Round

December

Stanley narrowly edge out Rochdale 3-2 in a bad tempered FA Cup 2nd Round tie at Spotland which saw a sending off for each side and Dale Manager John Coleman sent to the stands for objecting to the 95th minute penalty awarded to and converted by on loan striker Brett Ormerod.

January

The month is dominated by Stanley’s continued FA Cup exploits where an away win over Portsmouth in the 3rd Round and a 4th Round home win over local rivals Burnley by 2 goals to nil, sees Stanley into the 5th Round for the first time. The match, live on Sky, was watched by over 5’000 fans packed into the SIKS. Stanley are rewarded with an away draw to Premier League strugglers Manchester United, yet to win under new manager David Beckham.

February

Still reeling from the shock deadline day transfer of Ian Dunbavin to Liverpool for £500’000, the fans take some relief from Paul Mullin’s decision to “do a scholesy” and sign up for the remainder of the league campaign. The amazing FA Cup run has hampered Stanley’s current league form, which sees them slip to 3rd in the table. Stanley finally bow out of the FA Cup 1-0 at Old Trafford in front of 75’000 fans (22’000 from Accrington).

March

Stanley are on the up again, with maximum points in March, with the highlight being a Paul Mullin hat-trick at home to already relegated Rochdale, now under care-taker manager Jimmy Bell. Paul Cook again receives the Manager of the Month Award. Stanley are now 3 points clear at the top with just 6 games to play.

April

Stanley clinch promotion to League One with an emphatic 5-0 home win against Steve Kean’s Bradford City. The League Two title is secured the very next game, which is away at York City. An open-top bus parade and civic reception complete a fantastic month for League One bound Stanley.

May

Accrington Stanley reject a request from the newly-formed FC Rovers of Blackburn to ground share at the SIKS. The Unibond Premier Club were formed from the ashes of Blackburn Rovers FC who folded midway through the current season. They are still struggling to find a home for the new season after the newly-named “Boneless Banquet Arena” was seized by the liquidators.

Yes I am bored, Yes I should be working, Yes I am missing football, and No I don’t have anything better to do !!!!!!!!!!
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57   #2
God Member

Re: 2012/13 Season Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile;990868[SIZE=3
. Stanley finally bow out of the FA Cup 1-0 at Old Trafford in front of 75’000 fans (22’000 from Accrington). [/SIZE]

ya spelt 427 wrong!
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
ya spelt 427 wrong!
Didn't think numbers constituted spelling
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:24   #4
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Love it karma sent
Old 10-05-2012, 16:26   #5

Fabulous ! Fingers crossed it pans out like that - please
Mysteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 17:57   #6
Resting in Peace

Great stuff! The FC Blackburn stuff isn't as daft as it sounds.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:39   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Stop taking the fizzy drinks you !
Old 11-05-2012, 17:49   #8
God Member

Very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 18:58   #9
Senior Member+

Absolutely fantastic
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:37   #10
God Member

An excellent post, very funny....nice one!

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..