Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2013, 00:13   #1
Senior Member+

2012 Prediction League; Game 34 v Rochdale (away)

Rochdale AFC

V

Accrington Stanley

2012/3 Prediction League – Game 34; v Rochdale (away)

As we all know from other threads on the forum, there’s only one thing to do when results go against you and you’re sliding into the abyss; you sack your manager and reinstate a former, successful, manager in his place . That, as the doom-mongers will tell you, guarantees all will be well ……….

Well ……………actually………………no

Rochdale (I can’t really call them Coleydale any more, can I) sacked one John Coleman on 21st January 2013, and re-appointed former boss Keith Hill, who had moved to, and been sacked by, Barnsley. With Coleman at the helm they’d played 28 games in the League, and managed 36 points (1.28 points per game ), lying in 14th place; with Hill back in charge they’ve played 5 more, and secured 6 points – 1.20 per game ……. Looking at their overall record for the season, it’s (home) W5 D5 L6 F20 A17, and (away) it’s W6 D4 L7 F29 A34, making P33 W11 D9 L13 F49 A51, for 42 points and (still) 14th place; they’re ahead of Wycombe on GD (-2 against -7), and one point above the Daggers. Not breaking any pots, then .........

More pertinently than that – because they’re no way out of trouble yet – are the recent stats; their record over their last ten games is 2 wins, three draws, and five defeats (exactly the same as Plymouth, who are propping up the League ), and during 2013 to date their record is P8 W1 D3 L4 – exactly the same as us ; in those eight games they scored one goal five times, and no goals three times. Their single victory was by 1-0 against Torquay at Spotland; Torquay are officially the worst team in the league (currently), having lost their last six games (and eight of their last 10), scoring two goals in those six games, and none in their last 3 ……………..It’s the old story; who’s sliding down the League, who’s climbing out of trouble. If you look at the table now, and compare it with the table two or three months back, the sliders – Torquay, York, Rochdale et al – are rapidly getting pulled back by the main peleton ……………… and once the peleton has swallowed you up you’ve little chance of getting ahead of them again. Many – most, I think – would believe that our recent performances suggest that we can and will get far enough out of trouble to hold on to League status …………And isn’t that what “Keep the Faith” means? We punch above our weight all the time ……….what couldn’t we do with the resources of – say – Rochdale, or Bradford (for whom, after yesterday’s humiliation, I rather fear ……………)

By the way, the win over Torquay was apparently the 99th League win of Keith Hill’s career, and he “can’t wait” to get to 100 ……….Sorry Keith!

Stanley Old Boys had 7 of our ex players, and their starting line up used to include Cavanagh, McIntyre, Lord Sunbeds, Grant and Gornell, with Putterill and Craney on the bench; the last two have left, without making many ripples on the Rochdale waters …………..How many of the other five we face on Tuesday remains to be seen, but Cav missed Saturday’s goalless draw at Barnet through injury, and by my reckoning – despite the ambiguous way the FA Disciplinary list is worded – Bobby Grant will be sitting in the stand, sitting out the 4th game of his suspension following his sending off against Chesterfield on 2nd Feb (which followed his sending off against Bradford earlier in the season)

Hill has had a busy first month in the transfer/loan markets, bringing in ex Colchester (and 8 other clubs) defender Michael Rose (30); Bradford’s MF Ritchie Jones (26) – once the Man U Youth team captain, more recently of Oldham and Hartlepool; ex Yeovil, Southend and Crewe goalkeeper Steve Collis (31), whom the signed from Buxton of the Northern Premier League; ex Blackburn trainee and subsequently Falkirk winger Andy Haworth (24), whom they’d previously had on loan; and finally, former Shrewsbury and (current) PNE defender Shane Cansdell-Sherriff (also 30); makes you wonder how quickly Simon Grayson will dismantle Westley’s squad at Deepdale ………..Five players whose ages total 141 …………… But as we know, you’ll win nowt wi’ kids.

They didn’t have to travel widely in the Cups; the Capital One journey lasted one game (beaten at home 4-3 aet by Barnsley (then managed by one Keith Hill!), the Tinpot saw them beat Fleetwood 4-2 on pens after a 2-2 draw, only for the fates to turn on them in Round Two when they lost on pens 5-4 to Bury after a 1-1 draw; and the FA Cup run also lasted one round, when they did the hard work by drawing away at Morecambe 1-1, only to lose the replay 1-0 ……….which shows, as does their record, that they’re a tad better on the road than at home ……….

55 goals in all competitions; leading scorers are “Red Card” Grant with 13 (and the two red cards this season aren’t the only ones he’s had, if I recall); 26 year-old former Man City (trainee) and Millwall (with loan trips to Lincoln and Swindon) forward/MF Ashley Grimes has 10; and ex Man City (via loans at Rochdale, Shrewsbury and Yeovil) MF Andrew Tutte (22), an England u19 and u20 international in his day, has 8

We’ve met 9 times in the League; we drew 1-1 at home in our first season back, and in 2009/10 we won 2-1 away with goals by Bobby Grant and Michael Symes; (we also beat them 3-2 in the First Round of the Lancashire Senior Cup in Dec 06). The other 7 games we’ve lost, including the home game earlier this season when they beat us by the odd goal in 5, going two up in 32 mins, being pegged back to 2-all, and sneaking the winner 7 minutes from time ………….4 points from a possible 27 ……….Aaaaaaargh!

The deadline for entries is, as ever, scheduled kick-off time, which is 7.45 pm on Tuesday 26th February. My perception is that we’re climbing and they’re stalling, so if we can play as well as we did, by all accounts, on Saturday, this can, and should, be the start of something good! I might well put us down for a win ..........

Good luck to everyone……………….Keep the Faith! ………… and thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2013, 00:16   #2
Senior Member+

Re: 2012 Prediction League; Game 34 v Rochdale (away)

Ack94V has this game as a 2-1 defeat for Stanley
Cashy - who is due back around now, I think (so the Forum should liven up!) - predicted a 1-1 draw
Old 25-02-2013, 03:51   #3
Senior Member+

I shall be there to see a positive but squeaky bum 1-0 win to Stanley

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 04:44   #4
God Member

3-1 to The Stanley please.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 04:45   #5
Senior Member+

Rochdale 2 - 2 Accrington
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 07:54   #6
Super Moderator

2-1 to the Stanley please.
Old 25-02-2013, 07:56   #7
Resting in Peace

1-1 for me please
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:02   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post
Ack94V has this game as a 2-1 defeat for Stanley
Cashy - who is due back around now, I think (so the Forum should liven up!) - predicted a 1-1 draw
Rochdale 0 Stanley 1 please
& and wishing a very happy birthday to Cashy
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 09:18   #9

3-1 To Stanley
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 09:29   #10

2-2 draw.
kristo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 10:15   #11
Senior Member+

Rochdale 1 Stanley 3, please D3N.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 10:52   #12

Rochdale 1 Stanley Boys 2
Mysteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 10:53   #13
Senior Member+

"I'm asking supporters to come and get behind the team and possibly show a bit of patience."

Paul Cook, talking to Radio Sheffield about Chesterfield's game tomorrow against Aldershot ..............

Nothing changes, does it?

Come on Chesterfield - you owe us a favour ........!
Old 25-02-2013, 10:58   #14
Senior Member+

2-1stanley please
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 11:59   #15
Full Member+

With all the references to cycling in the introduction, anyone would think there's a lot riding on this game! 1-1 draw for me please.
teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..