Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2016, 23:49   #1
Senior Member+

2015/16 Prediction League; Game 27 v Portsmouth FC (home)

Accrington Stanley

V

Portsmouth FC

Prediction League 2015/6; Game 27 v Pompey (home)

Ok, so John Sheridan didn’t leave Newport for Notts County (who appointed former Palace MF Jamie Fullarton to his first Managerial post), but I said that Sheridan would be gone within the fortnight and he is – back to Oldham, who he managed up to 2009, replacing the less-than-fortunate David Dunn (who was given just 20 games, which is harsh even by DAV007’s standards) ......... Newport – who probably didn’t need that right now – have appointed Warren Feeney (Sheridan’s Assistant Manager) and 1st Team coach Michael Flynn until the end of the season; Sheridan was there three months, taking charge of 17 games (slightly fewer than David D, who might now be looking to join the Club he Loves, who might now think – having been left standing at the Altar in the Summer – that it’s Too Late).

Oldham Chairman Simon Corney – who seems to get through Managers like some people get through underwear – damned Dunn with the following Faint Praise;

"I would like to place on record my thanks and gratitude to David for his tireless efforts over the past four months under what have been extremely difficult circumstances.”

But actually it’s worse out there in the job market than we all thought; Charlton Athletic (who lost in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup on Saturday at desperate Colchester – whose reward is Spurs in Round 4) sacked Israeli (that’s his nationality, by the way, not his first name) Guy Luzon last October; they placed Karel Fraeye – a Belgian - in charge as interim Head Coach ...... now, my definition of “interim” is “short term”, and it was, because they’ve just sacked him as well, replacing him with the lady who makes the tea in the Directors’ Box – a place, not a cricketing item – and a random ex-pro footballer (Jason Euell) ...........so even being temporary isn’t a guarantee of anything, these days ....In confirming that he had been relieved of his duties, they out-did Mr Cornet in the “Faint Praise” department with this gem: Monsieur Fraeye was thanked for

"...his tireless work and the many positive contributions he made to the wider football set-up at Charlton"

Anyone know what a “wider football set-up” is?

Having brought in, like, 300 new players, and having got rid of, like, 299, they’ve been at the old LoanSignings since the season kicked off ......apart from signing one Romuald Boco from newcomers Baharat FC in the Indian I-League (he was apparently their Marquee Signing when they got him out there), they also added GK Aaron McCarey (23) from Wolves, forward Caolan Lavery from the Owls, and fellow forward Marc McNulty from the Blades (just to even things up) ......They now have more players than there are pegs in the dressing room (so three of them are having to pop round and change into their kit in Chimer’s Spare Room) ...... McCarey’s gone back home to The Lair (aka Molineux), Rommy seems to be out on loan at Havant and Waterlooville (although the best info I can find suggests he’s back at Fretting Park), and Kal Naismith, as you’ll have seen elsewhere, has just returned from his loan spell at Hartlepool.

They’re 4th in League Two at the moment – P25 W11 D11 L3 GF44 GA22 Pts44; 44 goals scored is joint best in the Division (alongside Northampton), and a GD of 22 is the best in the Division; we’ve scored 38, and have a GD of +12, which is 5th best, bettered only by the top 4 ......saying that, our form over the last 8 League games is actually better than theirs; we’re on W5 D2 L1 (Northampton 1-0 away, after we battered them for most of the game); they’re on W4 D3 L1 (Leyton Orient 3-2 away on Boxing Day) .............They lost, you may recall, in Round One of the PaintyThingy 2-0 at Exeter, and Round Two of the Carling 2-1 to Reading having seen off Derby by the same score in Round One ......In the FA Cup they beat Macclesfield 2-1 at home in Round 1, and us 1-0 in Round Two, before drawing at Ipswich in Round 3 with a Desmond (their 86th minute goal being wiped out by Mick McCarthy’s side’s 88th minute equaliser) .......... the replay is next Tuesday, winners play Bournemouth at home ......... You might think that might be in the corner of their minds come Saturday; Paul Cook, though, says;

"While a replay is a bit of a distraction from the league campaign, I'm sure Fratton Park will be rocking on the night. We should enjoy good days like this as a bad one could be just around the corner .......”

Distraction? Yes .........Bad day just around the corner? It will be if we have anything to do with it!

In each of their last five away games they’ve scored twice; that earned them three draws (Ipswich, Wycombe and Carlisle), one win (2-1 at Northampton) and one defeat (3-2 at the Orient); P5 W1 D3 L1 GF10 GA10 ...their other two League defeats were by 2-1 v Exeter at home, and by the same margin at Notts County (see “Jamie Fullarton” above)......they’ve scored three goals five times, four once (4-0 v Hartlepool), and six once (v York, all in the last 38 minutes); if you add in the Cup games, they’ve P31 GF52 GA30 ............... Leading scorers are 18-year old striker/winger Connor Chaplin with 8; ex Burton striker Adam McGurk with 6 (did anyone see that their former GK is now signed up with the WWF Wrestling, and apparently wearing a pink outfit, if I read it right); winger Gareth Evans has the same (6 goals, not a pink outfit), as also has loan striker Marc McNulty (see “Blades” above ..........)

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00pm on Saturday 16th January ............Head-to-head in league games since we came back and they came crashing down through the Leagues is even-stevens; one win each, three draws, and a GD of zero ...........discounting their FA Cup win, the fact that they’ll have one eye on the Cup replay, and that a couple of our current players might have one eye on avoiding injuries, it could be a good game with loads of goals ...........or it could be crap ...............or – given the falling temperatures on top of all the water - it could be postponed because of a frozen pitch; and I know someone (well, I know of someone) who would think that was a DISGRACE, and might even pen a letter (“Dear Santa ......”)

Good luck to everyone! ............ Keep the Faith! ................... Come on the Gers! (or not, depending on your point of view)................And thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2016, 05:15   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: 2015/16 Prediction League; Game 27 v Portsmouth FC (home)

2-1 to the Stanley please D3N.
Old 14-01-2016, 07:48   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-0 stanley.
Old 14-01-2016, 08:40   #5

1 0 to Stanley please
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 08:47   #6

1-0 Stanley
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:07   #7
Senior Member+

2 - 2 please D3N.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:14   #8

Stanley 2 Portsmouth 1 please
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:52   #9
God Member

Would be happy with a draw - nah, scratch that 3 - 1 to Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 11:19   #10
Full Member+

Stanley 1 - 3 Pompey please D3N.

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 17:43   #11
God Member

Accrington Stanley 1 - 2 Portsmouth, please.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 17:43   #12

I predict that I'll get as far as Preston before it's off this time

However if it's on then 2 1 Accy
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 18:41   #13

2-1 Stanley please
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 21:47   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
I predict that I'll get as far as Preston before it's off this time

However if it's on then 2 1 Accy
I'll predict the match is on so you will be there, specially as they have brought in some new frost covers!

As regards my prediction, 3-1 to Stanley please. We owe them one.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 21:59   #15

Stanley 4 Portsmouth 2
fee fi fo fum - Stanley boys should be smelling blood for this one !
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..