Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2022, 21:58   #1
God Member

Smile 4 tough games

I was tempted to post this before the Plymouth game, but I bottled it, as I thought I would get the pessimist label

The last 4 games were - in my opinion - very tough and I had us to lose them all (heavier than actually!)

The 3 previous (Morecambe/Bristol/C/Ham) were games I had complete confidence in us winning

As when we watch a game, the last 10 minutes stick in our mind, when we have watched a dull, drab boring game, petering out to a 0-0 draw and all of a sudden, we score a goal from nowhere and pinch the 3 points

Had the 3 winnable games, been sandwiched between the 4 tougher games and the results been the same, most of us would not be a cheesed off tonight

It is going to be tough most times we take to the field, but there is a Conference littered with teams who would swap with us in a heartbeat

In Coley we trust

Just my opinion of course

MikeA, AccyMad and chevyfire like this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-10-2022, 08:06   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 4 tough games

[QUOTE=VALAIRIAN)

In Coley we trust

Just my opinion of course

[/QUOTE]
SPEAK for yerself joe he aint even learnt to use subs yet, i hear loads of people say that.
Old 26-10-2022, 09:29   #3
God Member

Agree with you completely about the use of substitutes Cashy - Saturday was a prime example

Bringing on the two lads up front might not have changed the result, but at least it would have come across to us that there was an attempt

Picking the same 13/14 players all season is another Achilles

Regardless of all of the above he does get some things right, or we would still be playing Leek Town and Bamber Bridge......

Old 26-10-2022, 11:08   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

no we wouldnt he has done wonders for stanley no doubt at all. but i ask has he taken us as far as he can? cos i wonder that!
pifco likes this.
Old 26-10-2022, 18:48   #5

A brief view of the top 10 teams in L1, all big city, many former PL, illustrates our dilemma.
We are a small fish swimming with some big sharks.
Does anyone seriously expect us to compete with the likes of Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Bolton & Derby County, not to mention the other big 6.
All of these clubs have big fan bases & even bigger budgets. They can afford better coaches & top players.
We all want success, but simply surviving relegation in this league is something of a miracle for our little club, forever shackled as we are by limited finances.
I seriously wonder what Pep Guardiola or Mikel Arteta would do differently with our current squad if they were tasked with coaching it for one game?
Surely their first question would be - 'Show me your strikers'.
cashman, duckworth, pifco and 1 others like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 20:33   #6
Full Member+

Could be his plan is to keep the "strikers" sound for the games we have a better chance of winning.?
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 21:11   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
A brief view of the top 10 teams in L1, all big city, many former PL, illustrates our dilemma.
Does anyone seriously expect us to compete with the likes of Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Bolton & Derby County, not to mention the other big 6.
All of these clubs have big fan bases & even bigger budgets. They can afford better coaches & top players.
We all want success, but simply surviving relegation in this league is something of a miracle for our little club, forever shackled as we are by limited finances.
I seriously wonder what Pep Guardiola or Mikel Arteta would do differently with our current squad if they were tasked with coaching it for one game?
All very good points your Lordship

Old 26-10-2022, 21:13   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
Could be his plan is to keep the "strikers" sound for the games we have a better chance of winning.?
Might be a train of thought but, with a striker on the pitch on the hour mark, I do not believe we would have lost against Bolton?!?!?
cashman likes this.

Old 27-10-2022, 10:06   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i think the same. but j.c said bolton were the hardest of the 3 matches not in a million years is my view.
Old 27-10-2022, 15:55   #10
Full Member+

Quote:
Coleman is copying Pep playing with no strikers until this season.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 19:22   #11
Full Member+

The worrying thing to me was the tone of Coley's interview after the Peterborough game he seemed to be getting very downhearted and even fed up with football. I hope that he doesn't get too depressed and feel like quitting the game altogether because, I know I have questioned his ideas almost from when he first joined us, but I couldn't see us getting anyone better on our budget.
pifco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 20:53   #12
God Member

Smile Re: 4 tough games

Posted this a few weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN - Coley View Post
Got to say that it is a very, very long time since I have seen/heard Coley so down...........

His Vegan F.C. post match speaks volumes.........

Next 2 games will be tough, need something from both games!!

I am sure he will work his magic

Old 27-10-2022, 21:35   #13

Great interview of Coley by Dan today pre Fleeywood at the weekend. Let's hope Coley can make the change and focus on the team and their performances.

Team selection could be interesting. I think Seamus is back after his ban.......maybe Harvey at centre back and the young lad from Clitheroe at left back? I would like to see Rosaire start.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 11:36   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
From our Manager's post match interview following the Peterborough debacle...
"The lads give their all, and I think the fans appreciate that, but that’s not enough. You need the joy, the feeling of winning.
“We need to deliver and the players are desperate for it.”

The ball is well and truly in his (JC 's) court ( Penalty Area ?)..
But you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear !..
Enough of these sad but appropriate old sayings... is it not enough to say that desperate or not for success ,the current squad made up of struggling beginners ,journeymen and players whose careers are past their sell-by date create in total the lack of quality to survive in
League 1 ?.
I'm afraid that the disappointment currently felt by Coleman's army of 'dedicated' fans is likely to continue to haunt them through the murky waters of looming relegation !.
Again my apology for being so disagreeable... just my opinion !.
ON STANLEY !... ON TO GREATER THINGS !.. ( PLEASE ?).
Watchdog likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 11:54   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i dont think for 1min we will go down mate.we got some good young lads when most are fit we will be ok i think.thats my opinion.
MikeA likes this.

Last edited by cashman; 29-10-2022 at 11:57.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..