Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Sky news players charged bury game (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/sky-news-players-charged-bury-game-46754.html)

K-P 09-04-2009 12:27

Re: Sky news players charged bury game

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Matthew (Post 702562)
do we want somebody who thinks were gonna lose against opponents with equal ability playing for us. I don't!!!

100% agree.. its not the amount bet. its the thought process behind it.

MCR ADIM 09-04-2009 12:55

Accrington Stanley bets probe: £281,000 wagered on game at one bookies (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Money the root of all evil

cashman 09-04-2009 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCR ADIM (Post 702554)
He says that Cav told him he can not remember putting the bet on! And the Betting shops did not pay out anyway it said in the LET yesterday because they had to inform the FA

yes he does,but it don't say bookies did not pay out. he also says its diabolical that peter can be dragged through this fer a £5 bet. well sorry this is letting friendship over-ride common sense,NO player fer any club should bet against his own team, its that simple, as well as being insulting to all that have paid good money to support them. i am not that naive as to think ANY player would not remember wether he bet against his own team.:(

Tin Monkey 09-04-2009 13:41

If it's true that Bury were 5-1 to beat us in that game, then I'm not surprised that people were betting against us. I'm just mad that I missed out!!! :D

MCR ADIM 09-04-2009 13:54

From LET
Accrington Stanley bets probe: £281,000 wagered on game at one bookies (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Many of the odds started at 11/5 for a Bury win and money was still coming in when this changed to 10/11

Accrington Stanley bets probe: Suspicion grew before Bury game (From Lancashire Telegraph)

....But bookmakers refused to pay out on bets and a full investigation was launched by the FA.

Accrington Stanley players in match bets probe (From Lancashire Telegraph)

The betting odds at the time of the match were 2/1 for a Bury away win which would have doubled the money of anyone who placed a bet.

cashman 09-04-2009 14:11

cheers fer links MCR, aint got yesterdays LET. payed out or not though is totally irrelevant,just detracts from the issue.:)

Long time red 09-04-2009 14:13

Even though I don't personally gamble our home form last season made 5/1 for a Bury win a good bet. Did any regular supporters bet against Stanley I doubt it.
While having played the game and managed I really cant see Rocky or Cav having thrown any games.
It seems to me like the gambling culture within the players + at the club as finally come home, pure foolish greed.
Not sure if they could be suspended as the PFA is a very strong union, but
in the interest of the club and this great game that we all love surely it would be better for them not to play.
As for the £5 that Cav is alleged to have bet making it trivial, how does the amount matter, only a fool could make a statement like that. the principle is what matters. They have let down the Club and all who support it.

slerpy 09-04-2009 14:15

I've been thinking today- How would I view matters if I was a prospective purchaser ? It is not a happy thought !

Mr Matthew 09-04-2009 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCR ADIM (Post 702617)
The betting odds at the time of the match were 2/1 for a Bury away win which would have doubled the money of anyone who placed a bet.

2/1 would mean trebling your money, Evens to double it.

£5 or no £5 it's the principle of the matter. And remember that's £5 what we know of, whose to say he wasn't getting a piece of somebody elses pie.

Tommy McQueen 09-04-2009 15:39

Jimmy Bell is foolishly trying to protect Cav. What does it matter if the bet was £5 or 5p he should still have anough integrity not to bet against his own Club losing, this action does'nt bring out a feeling of loyalty to his wage paying employers. Jimmy you are misguided in what you are saying. The fans are extremely upset by these revelations, and rightly so. No one is saying Cav was match fixing, but to bet on your own team getting beat, especially if he was playing is highly suspect. I hope your comments don't return to bite you.

Revived Red 09-04-2009 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy McQueen (Post 702647)
Jimmy Bell is foolishly trying to protect Cav. What does it matter if the bet was £5 or 5p he should still have anough integrity not to bet against his own Club losing, this action does'nt bring out a feeling of loyalty to his wage paying employers. Jimmy you are misguided in what you are saying. The fans are extremely upset by these revelations, and rightly so. No one is saying Cav was match fixing, but to bet on your own team getting beat, especially if he was playing is highly suspect. I hope your comments don't return to bite you.

Does anyone have a link to the quote in the LET?

Is JB speaking on behalf of the club?

Does this mean that the "no further comment" statement on the fishy site no longer applies?

yerself 09-04-2009 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revived Red
Does anyone have a link to the quote in the LET?

The Jimmy Bell column (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Outback Ozzy 09-04-2009 16:33

What a foolish man our esteemed assistant is. You cannot defend the alleged indefensible. As a player you are not allowed to bet on any football games in the Football League, regardless of whether they can sway the outcome or not. I notice, as well, he has either forgotten or just not bothered to mention the alleged bets Cavanagh has placed this season. Curious. Sorry Jimmy but this is the second time you have boobed in the press this season (remember the Luton debacle earlier this season) time to put a gagging order on you from the board of the club.

Willie Miller 09-04-2009 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy (Post 702663)
What a foolish man our esteemed assistant is. You cannot defend the alleged indefensible. As a player you are not allowed to bet on any football games in the Football League, regardless of whether they can sway the outcome or not. I notice, as well, he has either forgotten or just not bothered to mention the alleged bets Cavanagh has placed this season. Curious. Sorry Jimmy but this is the second time you have boobed in the press this season (remember the Luton debacle earlier this season) time to put a gagging order on you from the board of the club.

Right or wrong, I like him to speak from the heart...... He could have come out with some wishy washy phsycho babble policitally correect mumbo jumbo like so many in football.... we think he is wrong but Jimmy? he is just sticking up for a guy he has worked with on a daily basis for most of his managerial career......

he's wrong but he is saying what he thinks:o

Mr Matthew 09-04-2009 16:58

What Jimmy said was a non-league statement, from a "league" club.

That kind of unproffessionalism doesn't wash in the big leagues.

If he truly believes that, he should have kept stum.