Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Unforgetable goal (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/unforgetable-goal-6607.html)

Terry 29-11-2004 12:10

Unforgetable goal

The most unforgetable goal I ever saw by a Stanley player was in the late fifties(or thereabouts) at Peel Park. The centre forward at that time was a fellow named Hudson. There was also a player called Sheddon or Sneddon(could be wrong with either). This guy was the worst player that Stanley had ever had. During the match, sheddon got the ball and from 50 meters away kicked it towards the goal. The ball was travelling at about 3 miles per hour, I kid you not. As it bounced and dribbled its way towards the keeper, the fans were just moaning and groaning at such an attempt. The goaly just stood in front of goal and waited. It eventually reached him and miraculously, the ball bounced over his hands and into the net. Well you have never heard a crowd go berserk like this one did. It was the most silliest, stupidest, wackiest goal I have ever seen. Unforgetable? It sure was.

Wynonie Harris 29-11-2004 15:34

Re: Unforgetable goal

An interesting recollection, Terry, but I think your judgement of Charlie Sneddon is a bit harsh. He was generally regarded as a highly skilled player and was picked for a Third Division North representative side in 1956.

sarnie boy 29-11-2004 16:53

besides i've seen better goals
it must have beenquite a sight though

Oldgobbin 29-11-2004 20:21

I quite agree about Charlie Sneddon. He was certainly no mug!

LongLostSon 29-11-2004 20:32

- - - and in the two Georges ( Stewart & Hudson ) we could well have been blessed with the best no.9's outside the top flight ! Happy days, almost.

Terry 30-11-2004 06:48

Yeah thanks you guys for the info. It's so long ago that I can't remember much about Sneddon other than the memory of the above. It just seems to be a lasting impression of the bloke in the old memory banks.:) :)

Wynonie Harris 30-11-2004 07:27

Terry, are you sure you're not getting Charlie Sneddon mixed up with someone else?

Here's a couple of quotes about him...

"There are few better ball players than Charlie, who revels particularly in a light ball on a hard ground."
- The Best Season Ever - The Story of Accrington Stanley in the Season 1954-55

"Often described as 'the football artist of the Peel Park staff', he was a skilled initiator, clever at tricking an opponent and able to see a move beyond the next."
- Accrington Stanley - A Complete Record 1894-1962 - Mike Jackman and Garth Dykes

Also, Charlie only ever scored a couple of goals at Peel Park - the first on March 5th, 1958 against Bury and the second on March 11th, 1960 against Brentford. As George Hudson didn't join Stanley until July 4th, 1960, he couldn't have been in the team when Charlie scored. Possibly a case of mistaken identity?

Steven 30-11-2004 16:27

He must be getting it wrong from the quotes above he sounded like somebody that graced peel park a stanley legend

Smiffy16 30-11-2004 17:08

My most unforgettable goal has got to be Goucky's in the FA Cup last year.....

Unbelievable

Steven 30-11-2004 17:17

yeah probably same smithy as we have only had short lives w can only recall the last 10 years but yeah probably the best ive seen to at stanley still got it on tape fantastic

Fearon1 30-11-2004 17:24

ye same ere smiffy, il remember that goal forever

Terry 01-12-2004 10:51

Hi Wynonie. You are probably right. I know that Hudson was full forward. The bloke to whom I'm referring is possibly someone else. I recalled the name Sneddon or Sheddon, without being able to put a face to, but the bloke I was referring to was bald and oldish Apart from Hudson, the name I refer to is the only other name I can recall so I mistakenly put the player and name together:confused: :o Thanks for the info though.