Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2004, 12:10   #1

Unforgetable goal

The most unforgetable goal I ever saw by a Stanley player was in the late fifties(or thereabouts) at Peel Park. The centre forward at that time was a fellow named Hudson. There was also a player called Sheddon or Sneddon(could be wrong with either). This guy was the worst player that Stanley had ever had. During the match, sheddon got the ball and from 50 meters away kicked it towards the goal. The ball was travelling at about 3 miles per hour, I kid you not. As it bounced and dribbled its way towards the keeper, the fans were just moaning and groaning at such an attempt. The goaly just stood in front of goal and waited. It eventually reached him and miraculously, the ball bounced over his hands and into the net. Well you have never heard a crowd go berserk like this one did. It was the most silliest, stupidest, wackiest goal I have ever seen. Unforgetable? It sure was.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2004, 15:34   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Unforgetable goal

An interesting recollection, Terry, but I think your judgement of Charlie Sneddon is a bit harsh. He was generally regarded as a highly skilled player and was picked for a Third Division North representative side in 1956.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 16:53   #3

besides i've seen better goals
it must have beenquite a sight though
Old 29-11-2004, 20:21   #4
Full Member+

I quite agree about Charlie Sneddon. He was certainly no mug!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 20:32   #5

- - - and in the two Georges ( Stewart & Hudson ) we could well have been blessed with the best no.9's outside the top flight ! Happy days, almost.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 06:48   #6

Yeah thanks you guys for the info. It's so long ago that I can't remember much about Sneddon other than the memory of the above. It just seems to be a lasting impression of the bloke in the old memory banks.
Old 30-11-2004, 07:27   #7
Super Moderator

Terry, are you sure you're not getting Charlie Sneddon mixed up with someone else?

Here's a couple of quotes about him...

"There are few better ball players than Charlie, who revels particularly in a light ball on a hard ground."
- The Best Season Ever - The Story of Accrington Stanley in the Season 1954-55

"Often described as 'the football artist of the Peel Park staff', he was a skilled initiator, clever at tricking an opponent and able to see a move beyond the next."
- Accrington Stanley - A Complete Record 1894-1962 - Mike Jackman and Garth Dykes

Also, Charlie only ever scored a couple of goals at Peel Park - the first on March 5th, 1958 against Bury and the second on March 11th, 1960 against Brentford. As George Hudson didn't join Stanley until July 4th, 1960, he couldn't have been in the team when Charlie scored. Possibly a case of mistaken identity?
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 16:27   #8

He must be getting it wrong from the quotes above he sounded like somebody that graced peel park a stanley legend
Old 30-11-2004, 17:08   #9
Senior Member+

My most unforgettable goal has got to be Goucky's in the FA Cup last year.....

Unbelievable
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 17:17   #10

yeah probably same smithy as we have only had short lives w can only recall the last 10 years but yeah probably the best ive seen to at stanley still got it on tape fantastic
Old 30-11-2004, 17:24   #11
I am Banned

ye same ere smiffy, il remember that goal forever
Fearon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:51   #12

Hi Wynonie. You are probably right. I know that Hudson was full forward. The bloke to whom I'm referring is possibly someone else. I recalled the name Sneddon or Sheddon, without being able to put a face to, but the bloke I was referring to was bald and oldish Apart from Hudson, the name I refer to is the only other name I can recall so I mistakenly put the player and name together Thanks for the info though.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..