Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Former Players! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/former-players-67608.html)

Exile on Spencer St 13-06-2020 18:45

Re: Former Players!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeA (Post 1241107)
I suppose this is as good a thread as any for this quiz about former Stanley players. I amazed myself by getting 8/10!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/qu...anley-players/

Even more amazed that I got 9/10 and feel shamed that the one I got wrong was one my all-time heroes.

AccyMad 13-06-2020 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeA (Post 1241107)
I suppose this is as good a thread as any for this quiz about former Stanley players. I amazed myself by getting 8/10!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/qu...anley-players/

Don't want to brag but I got all 10 :mosher: (it's probably a bit easier for us ladies cos we tend to know what their legs look like :D)

choirboy 14-06-2020 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyd (Post 1241088)
Arron Chapman released by Peterborough been a bit downhill for him since he left us.

I think Aaron lost confidence as soon as Peterborough came out of their winning run. Coley and Jimmy have proved many, many times how they can reinvigorate the confidence of players who have drifted into the wilderness. Aaron would not necessarily be the automatic first choice for many Stanley fans but, if we are struggling to sign on a couple of decent keepers, he could still be a good signing for us at the right cost, in terms of salary. A fully confident Aaron Chapman is a pretty good goalie IMHO.

choirboy 14-06-2020 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldy (Post 1241095)

An interesting read. He had so much potential but experienced so many problems. He could make a great coach as he would have empathy in abundance with players career problems. Good luck to him.

monkey hanger 14-06-2020 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1241121)
. A fully confident Aaron Chapman is a pretty good goalie IMHO.

compared to evtimov he is international standard. the former is to goalkeeping what zanzala is to clever forward play and balance.

AccyMad 14-06-2020 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1241121)
I think Aaron lost confidence as soon as Peterborough came out of their winning run. Coley and Jimmy have proved many, many times how they can reinvigorate the confidence of players who have drifted into the wilderness. Aaron would not necessarily be the automatic first choice for many Stanley fans but, if we are struggling to sign on a couple of decent keepers, he could still be a good signing for us at the right cost, in terms of salary. A fully confident Aaron Chapman is a pretty good goalie IMHO.

Aaron is definitely a confidence player & it would be good to see him back but it was reported when he left for Peterborough that they'd offered him 3 x the wages we were paying him, I doubt he'd be willing to take that much of a cut

AccyMad 14-06-2020 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1241124)
compared to evtimov he is international standard. the former is to goalkeeping what zanzala is to clever forward play and balance.

Ouch!, that's a bit harsh on Dimi

andyd 14-06-2020 12:59

I liked Aarron great lad great personality wasn't the best keeper at low down shots but during John,s long tenure Goalkeeper and left back for some reason been problematic positions often leading to both positions being occupied by loannees, Joe Jacobson was probably the last really good permanent left back we had as for goalies not many that wer,nt loannees stand out for me so good luck John in finding a good replacement Savin looks ok but as with any youngster time will tell.

Twenty Eight 14-06-2020 13:02

We should have signed Nick Anderton when we had the chance.

andyd 14-06-2020 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1241139)

Not a bad player wages would have been an issue should imagine a bit injury prone as well.

Mr T 14-06-2020 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1241139)

Go on then?

When did we have the chance ?

Highish wages, fee paid to his former club, loan signing to ASFC authorised in the strangest manner ever and then an injury.

Cracking lad in his spell with us, but when some sense returned at Bloomfield Road he wasn't ( to my knowledge) coming our way at that stage

Twenty Eight 14-06-2020 16:18

When a player isn’t wanted by his parent club then anyone can make an offer?
A bit touchy that response Mark ?

Twenty Eight 14-06-2020 16:20

If you’re saying he was too expensive - Wages and a fee that’s fine.

Twenty Eight 14-06-2020 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1241135)
Aaron is definitely a confidence player & it would be good to see him back but it was reported when he left for Peterborough that they'd offered him 3 x the wages we were paying him, I doubt he'd be willing to take that much of a cut

Correct Di.
He got himself a cracking deal.
Cant see him taking a 60% cut ........ but then again if no offers .......

Mr T 14-06-2020 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1241142)
When a player isn’t wanted by his parent club then anyone can make an offer?
A bit touchy that response Mark ?

Reply not meant as "touchy"

Reply was that he came our way as a "result" of "strange issues" at his parent club.

IF he wasn't wanted by the then Manager at his parent club in Jan, why wasn't the loan extended ?? And why (from memory) was FA Cup permission not given to ASFC?

My thoughts remain, parent club "politics"