Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Stevenage (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/stevenage-68937.html)

st06nc2 27-02-2017 20:45

Stevenage

Stevenage: Chairman Phil Wallace urges council to act over ground development - BBC Sport

Complaining as usual, thats what you get with southern councils

monkey hanger 28-02-2017 08:11

Re: Stevenage

for once in my life i,m on the side of a council.

Outback Ozzy 28-02-2017 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1188626)
for once in my life i,m on the side of a council.

I could not disagree more with your statement MH. Yes funds are scarce, but at the end of the day the land and buildings on the that land are owned by the council and they have a duty of care to make the facilities 'Fit for purpose' as well as complying with various rules and regulations. The club has funding available for upgrading the stand and are asking the council for a one third commitment. Much as I do not like the club because they seem to have a hoodoo over the Stanley, equally I would not like them to shut up shop (the statement by the chairman to do this is utterly abhorrent, it is a direct threat to the council). Whilst this is only MY opinion and I fully expect others to say I am wrong on this, maybe as Stanley fans we are lucky in the ownership of our proud little club.

monkey hanger 28-02-2017 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy (Post 1188628)
equally I would not like them to shut up shop (the statement by the chairman to do this is utterly abhorrent, it is a direct threat to the council).

just another threat that will never happen. a child who,s stamping his feet if he doesn,t get his own way. don,t want any club to fold but if there has to be one please let it be them.

cashman 28-02-2017 08:55

Nothing at all to do wi any hoodoo they have on us, they way they play, the scum that run the club etc, its the only club in football i wouldn't be sorry to see go.

Exile on Spencer St 28-02-2017 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy (Post 1188628)
...but at the end of the day the land and buildings on the that land are owned by the council and they have a duty of care to make the facilities 'Fit for purpose' as well as complying with various rules and regulations.... .

Not necessarily so. The Council may own the land and the buildings but Satanage FC, as tenants, have the responsibility of making sure their customers are safe and sound. And, as tenants, the football club leased the premises knowingly, however 'unfit for purpose' they now claim they are.
Being an ex new town, the Council probably own lots of land and buildings but its ratepayers can't be expected to pay for refurbishing every one of its tenants' premises.

Outback Ozzy 01-03-2017 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1188650)
Not necessarily so. The Council may own the land and the buildings but Satanage FC, as tenants, have the responsibility of making sure their customers are safe and sound. And, as tenants, the football club leased the premises knowingly, however 'unfit for purpose' they now claim they are.
Being an ex new town, the Council probably own lots of land and buildings but its ratepayers can't be expected to pay for refurbishing every one of its tenants' premises.

If you are in social housing owned by the council, then it is the council's responsibility to do the repairs to the rented property, not the tenants. In this case, the club are saying to the council, we want to upgrade the facilities, we will contribute two thirds of the funding from the club and FL will you contribute the other third. I agree Satanage have a duty of care to the paying hoards that watch them, but remember Edgar Street, Hereford, how dilapidated that was, didn't the council shut a stand down for being dangerous?

Exile on Spencer St 02-03-2017 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy (Post 1188840)
If you are in social housing owned by the council, then it is the council's responsibility to do the repairs to the rented property, not the tenants. In this case, the club are saying to the council, we want to upgrade the facilities, we will contribute two thirds of the funding from the club and FL will you contribute the other third. I agree Satanage have a duty of care to the paying hoards that watch them, but remember Edgar Street, Hereford, how dilapidated that was, didn't the council shut a stand down for being dangerous?

Wrong analogy. A football club is a business, just like many others in Council premises, not a resident in social housing. Satanage's tenancy will have clear terms as to who is liable for what. And that club are not proposing 'repairs' but improvements, presumably to increase their turnover.
As for Hereford, the ground was/is owned by the County Council but again there was no legal obligation on that Council to divert public funds to subsidise a private business. However, in that case it was the Council that 'saved' Hereford from total demise. If the ground wasn't owned by the County Council, the spivs who tried to take over Hereford would have shut the club down and flogged the site to Tesco.

smudgie 05-03-2017 13:03

Only club I would be DELIGHTED to see go under !