Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 00:28   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington McStanley

1 McQueen
2 Ashe
3 Harrower
4 Hunter
5 Ryden
6 Sneddon
7 Wright
8 Scott
9 Stewart
10 Dick
11 McCredie

In 2-3-5 formation

On 29th August 1955 Scottish manager walter Galbraith fielded eleven Scottish players for Accrington Stanleys league match against Rochdale at spotland. Thus they became the first English league club to do this since 1902.

Imagine the outcry on this forum by some if this happened in our time
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2004, 07:37   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Accrington McStanley

And I bet some fans whinged about Walter Galbraith the way they do about Coley now!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:03   #3
Resting in Peace

Smile Re: Accrington McStanley

What a great team that was!

Stewart was the best header of a ball I've ever seen, and would have scored many more than he did if there hadn't been slope at the Peel park end, which seemed to result in most shots going over the bar.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 21:44   #4

This post brings back memories of Stanley's four golden seasons - how Walter must wish one up - one down had been superceded by then. Eeee, I remember a radio broadcast of the titanic table-topper at Hartlepool - before the days of subs ( or cards ! ) and Stanley clinging to a 1 - 0 with either 9 or 10 players on the pitch. Ref must have played 10 mins extra to let 'pool equalise. Oh shuddup Alan and get your a--e to bed - them days are gone forever owd lad !
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:16   #5

i don't understand, t'point int'post, are we just appreciaten t'greatness o'team (and how great we were) or moanin about people who have criticisms of coleman, to be fair, t'jocks, were masters of the passing game back then, they played a game completeley different unlike the english game, involving, dribbling and shooting, the jocks brought finesse into our game, they were the first pro's and the people that made the north west of england the hotbed of football that it is today, what was the last great thing the scousers did for't'game?

Last edited by knowsthescore; 11-11-2004 at 12:17.
knowsthescore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2004, 19:51   #6

Talking Re: Accrington McStanley

Quote:
what was the last great thing the scousers did for't'game?
Well id surely say they they were the team to put england on the map in europe how many cups???
so that was probably the last great thing they did for football oh yes and also is liverpool not part of the northwest or summut because last time i checked it was!!!!
:engsmil: 4-4-2 is the future :engsmil:
Stanleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2004, 22:55   #7
I am Banned

This is just the sort of stuff I'd like to read a lot more of !

Simon, Redraine, Longlostson, Wynonie, you're handing down a great story which so many of us appreciate because (in my case) I've been involved with Stanley for less than a decade and I have a lot to learn about the Club's great history.

Any important anecdote like this will be really appreciated ; it isn't trivia, it's really significant information.

Heritage is unquestionably one of Accrington Stanley's greatest assets.

Many thanks . . . and keep it coming !
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 14:00   #8
Super Moderator

Henry - my first Stanley match was September, 1960 (against the "mighty" Barra!) so, unlike Redraine, Longlostson and others, I missed out on the golden Galbraith era. However, I've heard reminiscences from many supporters, including my late dad, who were all convinced that "McStanley" was a great team who could have achieved promotion with just a little bit more luck.

I know this will provoke sneers from some, but I truly believe that Coley is on his way to building a similarly great team who will take us into the football league...and not just to make up the numbers, either. It's easy to criticize him after bad results, but if you read the article on the 1953-54 season from last Saturday's programme, you'll see that Mr Galbraith had setbacks, too ("four defeats in a row"..."two heavy defeats at Gateshead and Wrexham"..."a 5-0 thrashing at Barnsley"). However, I'm still convinced that we are at the threshold of a new golden era with Coley!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 14:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleyman
Well id surely say they they were the team to put england on the map in europe how many cups???
so that was probably the last great thing they did for football oh yes and also is liverpool not part of the northwest or summut because last time i checked it was!!!!
so england was never on the map till the seventies?? was the european cup winning squad of the seventies not mainly made up of jocks?? i would have thought the team that put england on the map, were the england team of '66, no?
Old 15-11-2004, 18:44   #10

yeah but u said what was the last thing that scousers did for the game and he told u one
Old 16-11-2004, 18:26   #11
Junior Member+

I went to Peel Park School in the mid 50s & have some good/vague memories of the Galbraith era-we used to kick a ball around on the car park with the players at 'dinner time'. George Stewart was a fantastic centre forward & I remember seeing Joe Devlin, No 7 on his back (another hero) playing under floodlights. Eddie Hunter, Armour Ashe, Tommy McQueen were around at the time, as I recall. It's good to see Accy enjoying another purple patch-long may it continue- & good on the management team.
tommybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 19:20   #12
Full Member+

I must agree with my fellow "old stagers" that the Galbraith era was a great time to be watching Stanley. ... and yes, George Stewart was something else!!! Let's not forget ,however, the value of his English partner Les Cocker, who went from being a thorn in OUR side when he played for Stockport, to being a pain in the butt for every team we played against, and a scorer of goals into the bargain. Then, of course, he went on to even greater things, being the assistant coach to the 1966 England world cup winning team. Sadly, he died in his 40s whilst out on a run.. RIP Les, you certainly gave a young Stanley fan some good memories.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 20:38   #13
Junior Member+

I can just remember Stanley playing Fulham in a friendly & winning 2-0 & George Stewart scoring - floodlit match & Stanley playing Blackpool in the cup & drawing 2-2. I can 'see' them playing S****horpe, Hartlepools, Stockport. Tommy McQueen gave me his autograph on Highams' one day - he had a broken finger at the time. That would have been 1955 - I think. I've still got the autograph somewhere.
tommybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 21:55   #14
Senior Member+

Old stanley book!

Here it is jimmymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
1 McQueen
2 Ashe
3 Harrower
4 Hunter
5 Ryden
6 Sneddon
7 Wright
8 Scott
9 Stewart
10 Dick
11 McCredie

In 2-3-5 formation

On 29th August 1955 Scottish manager walter Galbraith fielded eleven Scottish players for Accrington Stanleys league match against Rochdale at spotland. Thus they became the first English league club to do this since 1902.

Imagine the outcry on this forum by some if this happened in our time
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 00:48   #15
Senior Member+

I remember going to watch Stanley play Alexander on boxing day about 1958-9. We caught the train down to Crewe and walked to the ground. As usual at half time I went to the wood hut for a coffee and a meat pie. As I was walking away I took a bite of the meat pie, it was the worst meat pie I,d ever had, I spun round to throw it at the hut---- I couldn,t throw it for laughing, there were about thirty pies already stuck to the side of the hut, Stanley lost 5-0, not a god day.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..