Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 18:39   #1
God Member

accrington stanley diversity forum

what do you all think of the new plan for ASFC to get out and about with in the Asian and underpriveleged areas?

My personal thought is that there is currently too much being undertaken by too few at the club. This has the effect that nothing is running as smoothly and efficiently as it could do. The drive is a good idea of sorts but I think they should have waited until such time as they were able to do it properly. If we have tried and failed with a certain type of venture then you end up having to wait ages until you can try it again.
Old 01-10-2006, 19:57   #2
God Member

Re: accrington stanley diversity forum

Are these areas within the Accrington/Hyndburn area?
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 20:01   #3
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Sounds like a load of PC drivel to me, if it's costing anything use the money to sort out the shop. If it's a case of speculating to accumulate then build a roof, if people want to come they will come.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 20:11   #4
God Member

Have to agree with BAGPUSS.Get the base product right first.The team is going well,but it sounds like facilities (ie roof and bar) need to be sorted.No use getting new faces to the ground if their experience isn't a pleasent one.A first timer standing ay the Clayton end with the rain ****ing down ain't likely to want to come back in a hurry.Incidentally,are the grandstands always full on matchdays?
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 20:45   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John
Have to agree with BAGPUSS.Get the base product right first.The team is going well,but it sounds like facilities (ie roof and bar) need to be sorted.No use getting new faces to the ground if their experience isn't a pleasent one.A first timer standing ay the Clayton end with the rain ****ing down ain't likely to want to come back in a hurry.Incidentally,are the grandstands always full on matchdays?
So far away, yet so near. No, the grandstands are seldom full, sorry your lazy $5 went down the pan, lazy $5 - brilliant phrase.

Really enjoy your posts, a sense of perspective from afar.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 20:59   #6
Super Moderator

Personally, I think it's a good idea if it pulls in more punters through the turnstiles.

However, I agree with others that the club must address some very important issues before embarking on schemes like this.

Firstly, the club is losing out on hundreds of pounds worth of revenue at every home match, because of its inaction over building bars behind the Clayton and Coppice Ends. I really cannot understand their thinking on this. OK, it involves some initial outlay, but this will quickly be recouped and then the club will have two excellent money spinners on its hands. Just imagine, all the ale us thirsty Clayton Enders would consume, but, just as importantly, we could be taking money off the fans of other clubs with big followings like Wycombe, Swindon and Walsall.

Secondly, the situation over the merchandise range is nothing short of scandalous. Because of our famous name, merchandise is more important to us than any other club in the lower leagues. We are in a hugely advantageous position where football fans all over the world are likely to buy something associated with Stanley just because of the kudos our name holds. Could the same be said of, for example, Bury? We should, therefore, have a better range of merchandise than most, yet we have probably the most limited range in the football league. We have already missed the boat over the interest created by our historic promotion, but there are still plenty of potential sales out there which we are missing out on.

Come on Stanley, wake up!

Sorry for the thread wander...
Old 01-10-2006, 21:00   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
what do you all think of the new plan for ASFC to get out and about with in the Asian and underpriveleged areas?

My personal thought is that there is currently too much being undertaken by too few at the club. This has the effect that nothing is running as smoothly and efficiently as it could do. The drive is a good idea of sorts but I think they should have waited until such time as they were able to do it properly. If we have tried and failed with a certain type of venture then you end up having to wait ages until you can try it again.
Yes, probably worth starting a new thread rather than my attempt to get something positive out of basic misunderstandings on a couple of recent threads, ( Racism and Sexism ).

My initial thoughts are that the club has managed to tick a box, the official site (Fishy) says the forum is made up from members of the community and officials of the club. Does this include Supporters group, or any other representatives of Stanley fans?

I certainly regard myself as a member of the community, did I miss my invite? All comments welcome,

Old 01-10-2006, 22:16   #8
Member.

This should be an open door opportunity for all concerned and shouldn’t be seen just as an Asian or underprivileged forum. There is a growing diversity of race; cultural groups and ethnicity in and around the Town not to mention disability, and everyone should be welcome. I am not sure if we as a nation should always be the ones to go out and take the cause to them, other than visiting the schools and special interest groups. I think the club should focus all events in or around the ground, open days, cultural events out of season and the like. That doesn’t mean people churning up the pitch, there’s plenty of space at the FES.

I think people should also bear in mind New Legislation relating to Sexual orientation and Gender reassignment laws which we need to consider both in terms of Employment Law and accommodation at the club.

The Law states that we should move to accommodate those of ethnic or cultural backgrounds as well as those who are disadvantaged and other divers groups and orientations sexual or otherwise. We may as well get use to it, but there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be on our terms.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 22:23   #9
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy
I certainly regard myself as a member of the community, did I miss my invite? All comments welcome,
If I understand correctly, you are not a Gay lesbian bisexual; you are not disadvantaged, nor do you come from a diversity of cultural backgrounds or races that make up modern Britain. You don't count.

No offence intended.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 01-10-2006, 22:37   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
If I understand correctly, you are not a Gay lesbian bisexual; you are not disadvantaged, nor do you come from a diversity of cultural backgrounds or races that make up modern Britain. You don't count.

No offence intended.
And certainly non taken.

But me a scouser all my life, plus I'm an eighth Spanish, married to a Scot.

Where do we get the forms to be members of the community?

Nice previous post Doug, hope the club read it, somehow doubt they'll understand it.

Last edited by Oggy; 01-10-2006 at 22:55.
Old 01-10-2006, 22:41   #11
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy
And certainly non taken.

But me a scouser all my life, plus I'm an eigth Spanish, married to a Scot.

Where do we get the forms to be members of the community?

Nice previous post Doug, hope the club read it, somehow doubt they'll understand it.
Scouser, hardly a minority at ASFC.

Thank you for the comments.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 01-10-2006, 22:47   #12
Senior Member+

Link to the group the club have set the diversity forum up with

http://www.lancashire-ep.org.uk/html...er/default.php

Old 01-10-2006, 23:00   #13
rob

the forum is in its very early stages at the moment, in fact it isn't officially launched until november. any volunteers are welcome to get involved, please do email me. this is nothing to do with political correctness, just simply making sure that the club is accessible to all.
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 23:02   #14
Member.

Excellent link.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 01-10-2006, 23:06   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
the forum is in its very early stages at the moment, in fact it isn't officially launched until november. any volunteers are welcome to get involved, please do email me. this is nothing to do with political correctness, just simply making sure that the club is accessible to all.
Thanks for that Rob, what makes the club think it isn't accessible to all?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..